Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's far from silent, so it's definitely not normal. I'll take a video or sound recording today, but I'm not sure if it will pick up the sound.

I have a 2018 LR AWD, mfg date 11/18 w/17k miles. Will they send out a mobile tech for this? I'd hate to drive over an hour to the nearest SC for them to tell me it's "normal"...

I went to a SC July 7,2020. They said the whine was normal. That was before people started posting that the ground strap tightening or replacement makes a difference. I will give Tesla another month or two to recognize that the ground strap needs replacing. .

Schedule a service visit in the early morning with “other” as the problem, and say you have the electric motor whine and need the ground straps replaced. If they accept the service appt then drive the hour. If they cancel it, wait a month and try again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Siciliano
Well, hopefully they didn’t take 5 days to do a one hour job and put 40 miles on your car and leave their fast food trash in your back seat. I can’t get a service manager to even call me back as they hide behind COVID and their useless service app. Not surprised to hear their incompetence is not isolated.

• Helpful
Here's the recording from this morning. It kinda reminds me of an airplane/turbine whine...it's most noticeable accelerating from a stop, and decelerating (I have on standard regen). Is this normal???

*It's not letting me upload the file so I'll just link to drive:

whine.aac

I went to a SC July 7,2020. They said the whine was normal. That was before people started posting that the ground strap tightening or replacement makes a difference. I will give Tesla another month or two to recognize that the ground strap needs replacing. .

Schedule a service visit in the early morning with “other” as the problem, and say you have the electric motor whine and need the ground straps replaced. If they accept the service appt then drive the hour. If they cancel it, wait a month and try again.

Thank you for the advice. What is the year of your M3? It's it AWD? Also how many miles? Just trying to find similarities to other cars with the same issue.

Here's the recording from this morning. It kinda reminds me of an airplane/turbine whine...it's most noticeable accelerating from a stop, and decelerating (I have on standard regen). Is this normal???

whine.aac

That's not normal. If I didn't know you were in an M3, I'd say it was a jet.

• Helpful
That's not normal. If I didn't know you were in an M3, I'd say it was a jet.

Good to know! This whole time I thought it was normal... although it has gotten a little bit worse since I got the car about a month ago.

I wonder if they can send out a mobile tech for this? If someone did it themselves in their garage, I would assume an actual tech can do it remotely???

Edit: I just set up an appointment in the app and it went through. Earliest appt is Oct 5th :mad: so they better let me know before I drive an hour if they won't replace the part...

Last edited:

whine.aac
That's the same sound I'm hearing. My LR AWD M3 is a 2018 built 12-6-2018. With 17,126 miles.

That's the same sound I'm hearing. My LR AWD M3 is a 2018 built 12-6-2018. With 17,126 miles.

Damn man that's nearly identical to mine...scary (2018 LR AWD, mfg date 11-2018, 17,300 miles).

I'm actually texting the technician... After I made the appt they sent me a txt literally asking me to send them a video or sound file. I texted him the aac file about an hour ago - waiting to hear back!

Well the tech didn't txt me back, so they're probably still reviewing the sound file. Hopefully they just approve the ground cable and it will be over with...I told them there are numerous documented cases involving this issue. Crossing fingers.

Well the tech didn't txt me back, so they're probably still reviewing the sound file. Hopefully they just approve the ground cable and it will be over with...I told them there are numerous documented cases involving this issue. Crossing fingers.

By the way, this is the Paramus NJ SC, which I've heard is fantastic, so hopefully they can get this resolved one way or another.

I also just realized the car is likely due for a 2 yr svc any month now, considering the mfg date of 11/18...so I'm going to ask them if they could just kill 2 birds with 1 stone and take care of the 2 yr svc while they have it.

Oh oh oh I think I have a theory for this one.

The AWD is a RWD vehicle unless you're accelerating hard, with a couple notable exceptions.
  • In reverse, if and only if you stopped fully before going into reverse, it will use the front motor instead
  • At low speeds (roughly 20mph or less), and only if you were not previously at a higher speed under acceleration, it will use the front motor for forward acceleration. So usually in parking lots or when first getting going from a stop.
The second point is what I think is relevant here. You may be hearing more noise (I do) simply because the front motor is actually being used, not coasting freely as it generally does. When I tightened ground straps, I don't think these noises changed at all though. Most of this would support the theory that what you're heating is noise from the front motor though.

My very first observation after getting the car is the front motor seemed to generate the bulk of the noise. This was true until the constant pitch issue got really loud (this I fixed by tightening ground straps), and is now true once again.

Ah cool. All sorts of reasons it could've taken longer, but maybe that supports my theory that it's a bit of a chore and requires some disassembly.

I need to make a correction to this last post I made.

In the second case, it does not use the front motor for forward acceleration. It uses it for regen at these low speeds (but not otherwise). The motor is also "on" as opposed to just coasting as these speeds, so the statements I made are otherwise accurate to my knowledge. Sorry if that confused anyone.

whine.aac

This is the exact sound I fixed, especially since you said yours is speed dependent as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier

whine.aac
This was very similar to mine. I think mine was slightly louder, but hard to say not being in your car hearing it firsthand.

Mine's a 2018 LR-AWD mfr'd Oct 2018, 12,000 miles. My whine goes from about 38mph to 52mph, but there are two peaks around 38mph and 48mph.

Mine happened around 42mph and between 48-50mph while maintaining speed on a flat road (0% grade), so very similar.

Reactions: KenC