Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched sound for 2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first time for the post,

I was wondering any Plaid or Refresh Model S owner experiencing high-pitched whine sounds at cruising speed? It's noticeable and a bit uncomfortable cursing around 35-45 or highway speed like 60-75 mph. Coming from a MYP owner, I can understand how a motor whining sounds like, which I actually really enjoy with. The current high-frequency sound feels like driving with a MY without the 2nd row seat cushion insulation in place. I really would like to get more feedback from the Refresh owner before making a SC visit.
Thanks!

link to the video:

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
Took it to the SC and said they compared it to other Plaids and was a normal sound. I think it’s pretty annoying, but I try and ignore it. Let us know if your SC says anything different.
Got the same reply as well. They said other Plaids made that noise too. I wish I can the opportunity to test drive other Plaid in my area to verify the concern by myself. It‘s especially annoying for driving at a quite night for sure

Upvote 0
Just found that this sound might be related to Permanent magnet motor noise. Some Model S/X owner noticed this new noise after new raven powertrain they don't experience this with legacy S with induction motor

Upvote 1
Just found that this sound might be related to Permanent magnet motor noise. Some Model S/X owner noticed this new noise after new raven powertrain they don't experience this with legacy S with induction motor

I find this noise can vary car to car. The 2016 S75D I had as a loaner was super annoying with its high-pitched sound around 40mph.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Upvote 0
Does it seem to happen when you reduce pressure on the accelerator or take your foot off altogether? So it doesn't matter the speed you're cruising at, rather it is just when you stop accelerating. This has been my experience on a 2021 LR+ Model S. I have a 2016 and it does not do this. A tech working on my 2016 said he has had several folks mention this issue and that he thinks it's the motor when it is not accelerating.

Upvote 0
Does it seem to happen when you reduce pressure on the accelerator or take your foot off altogether? So it doesn't matter the speed you're cruising at, rather it is just when you stop accelerating. This has been my experience on a 2021 LR+ Model S. I have a 2016 and it does not do this. A tech working on my 2016 said he has had several folks mention this issue and that he thinks it's the motor when it is not accelerating.

Hi, first time for the post,

I was wondering any Plaid or Refresh Model S owner experiencing high-pitched whine sounds at cruising speed? It's noticeable and a bit uncomfortable cursing around 35-45 or highway speed like 60-75 mph. Coming from a MYP owner, I can understand how a motor whining sounds like, which I actually really enjoy with. The current high-frequency sound feels like driving with a MY without the 2nd row seat cushion insulation in place. I really would like to get more feedback from the Refresh owner before making a SC visit.
Thanks!

link to the video:
I came here today to look for similar sound on my Refresh MS, mine produces this sound at high way when speed starts above 65mph. Early MS 2012 -2014 model had this milling issue ending up Tesla needed replacing new DU

Upvote 0
I had the same whine in my S Long Range Plus 2020 and I sell that car, impossible to have a quiet road trip without music.

In june 2020 Tesla made « optimise » the front gear box to get the 400 miles for Elon and the engineer « losse » the gear box to have 2% more range, you will have this info here.

That s the main problem with the whine and Tesla engineer know it very well.

The Montreal service center even change my front motor without any improvement.

After 6 year with model S (I had an 75D before), I owned actually an M3P too, I m looking for german ev (eqs, iX, taycan) who will not cut comfort for range like Tesla.

I m vey sad because I loved that car and I had the unlimited supercharger with it.

That’s my story !

Upvote 0
I had the same whine in my S Long Range Plus 2020 and I sell that car, impossible to have a quiet road trip without music.

In june 2020 Tesla made « optimise » the front gear box to get the 400 miles for Elon and the engineer « losse » the gear box to have 2% more range, you will have this info here.

That s the main problem with the whine and Tesla engineer know it very well.

The Montreal service center even change my front motor without any improvement.

After 6 year with model S (I had an 75D before), I owned actually an M3P too, I m looking for german ev (eqs, iX, taycan) who will not cut comfort for range like Tesla.

I m vey sad because I loved that car and I had the unlimited supercharger with it.

That’s my story !
good found, however, isn't that almost the same year they start to share the motor from M3/ MY. It's the first time they put the PMM on the S/X and a few S/X owners start to get a louder whine than before.

Maybe they can put more insulation at the front to reduce the unwanted motor whine.

Upvote 0