Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High power wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now had an exchange of emails with Charlie at Clipper Creek (hat tip @sethr). Here is his response:

".... you are facing a larger problem. The American and European versions of the TS-70 are not the same. There are hardware differences on the main circuit board. You would end up blowing the MOV's if you were to wire up your TS-70 as is. We may be able to help you in this regard. I believe we may have some unused European configured circuit boards in our warehouse somewhere. I will need a bit of time to locate them and get some pricing for you."

This was a surprise to me. The advice from the most experienced UK Tesla people, and on here, has been that US and UK units are the same. Clearly there is a deep internal difference.

Clipper Creek are being fantastic and shipping me a board with which to replace mine. Let's hope these things are long term robust as no more spares are being made so once the stock has run down, that's it.

That's interesting. They probably wire the MOVs on the North American version from phase to ground in addition to line-to-line. So the phase to gnd MOVs are rated for about 130v. Since the EU version is wired phase to neutral which is 230v, it would quickly blow the MOVs that are rated 130v (at least one of them). I guess I'm used to power supplies that only install the MOV between the two lines so they avoid this issue. Clipper Creek's method offers more protection but requires different components for each continent.

You learn something new every day!

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
I've also been in contact with Charlie at ClipperCreek about reprogramming the board on my TS-70. I asked and he granted his permission to share his contact info here in case anyone needs it:

Charles Douglass
Service Technician
ClipperCreek, Inc.
(530) 887-1674
[email protected]

I can also vouch for Charlie. My HPWC had a board go bad. He quickly assessed the problem, asked if I was comfortable removing just the board and sending that piece in (I was), and got it back to me in no time. He also included instructions on how to remove and re-install the board, and kept me up to date on the progress. He's a true professional who really cares about his work.