Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering, if they were having battery troubles they may have a lot of partially complete cars waiting for battery packs. This might have been an economical way to test out some of the manufacturing equipment that does work. These cars might be a mixture of colors, etc. So when they finish a bunch and someone wants a green one they get VIN 885 and the guy that wants the blue one gets 1090. That would explain some of the seemingly random reports of serial numbers?

Also, in response to Waiting4M3, I'm pretty sure that the S/X are still using the 18650 old style batteries and the Model 3 has the new 2170, so there is no mixing possible. Elon said earlier this year that the S/X would redesigned for the new batteries later this year, but I'm pretty sure that is not happening for awhile.

Just wondering, if they were having battery troubles they may have a lot of partially complete cars waiting for battery packs. This might have been an economical way to test out some of the manufacturing equipment that does work. These cars might be a mixture of colors, etc. So when they finish a bunch and someone wants a green one they get VIN 885 and the guy that wants the blue one gets 1090. That would explain some of the seemingly random reports of serial numbers?

Also, in response to Waiting4M3, I'm pretty sure that the S/X are still using the 18650 old style batteries and the Model 3 has the new 2170, so there is no mixing possible. Elon said earlier this year that the S/X would redesigned for the new batteries later this year, but I'm pretty sure that is not happening for awhile.
The way the battery pack is integrated into the car, there is no way they built partially assembled cars without the packs. The 3 battery pack is not like the S and X which were fairly easy to swap in or out.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't think it is "integrated" but you do have to pull the bottom rear seat cushion out to connect/disconnect the pack.
That is not what I meant. By integration, I mean the actual joining of the pack to the body is not as easily performed compared to the S and X. Remember the battery swap stations? That was relatively feasible for the S/X pack architecture, but the 3 architecture is quite different. It would make no sense from a production point of view to build up cars without packs and try to install later. That would be nightmare.

As you can see from the emergency response guide, the "skateboard" is quite different compared to the S/X. The front and rear suspension modules attach to the pack. I don't see it making any sense to assemble cars (over even feasible) without the pack installed.
3 pack architecture.JPG

S "skateboard"
12090053.jpg

Last edited:
That is not what I meant. By integration, I mean the actual joining of the pack to the body is not as easily performed compared to the S and X. Remember the battery swap stations? That was relatively feasible for the S/X pack architecture, but the 3 architecture is quite different. It would make no sense from a production point of to build up cars without packs and try to install later. That would be nightmare.

As you can see from the emergency response guide, the "skateboard" is quite different compared to the S/X. The front and rear suspension modules attach to the pack. I don't see it making any sense to assemble cars (over even feasible) without the pack installed.
View attachment 260239
I think that CAD view is misleading due to the vehicle structure being eliminated to show the pack and DU position. 3batt.PNG

I think that CAD view is misleading due to the vehicle structure being eliminated to show the pack and DU position. View attachment 260240
How exactly is it misleading? The front and rear suspension "modules" attach to the pack. This would be the equivalent "skateboard" that the S/X has. On the S/X, you can remove the pack and still have a rolling chassis. Not possible with the 3. So if they built cars without the packs, how would that work? Going to build a shell with partially finished interior? And then when it comes off the line, put in on a cradle (since it has no suspension or wheels) to then store it somewhere waiting for the pack? That would be beyond production hell....

How exactly is it misleading? The front and rear suspension "modules" attach to the pack. This would be the equivalent "skateboard" that the S/X has. On the S/X, you can remove the pack and still have a rolling chassis. Not possible with the 3. So if they built cars without the packs, how would that work? Going to build a shell with partially finished interior? And then when it comes off the line, put in on a cradle (since it has no suspension or wheels) to then store it somewhere waiting for the pack? That would be beyond production hell....

I'm not disagreeing that not having packs stops the line from progressing (no packs makes it hard to queue partially built vehicles).

I'm saying the first responder drawing left out so much of the frame that I do not see how you can draw the conclusion that the suspension attaches to the pack. Is there some other source you are using for this claim? Reattaching the image with the rear DU mounts highlighted. I think the front is integral to the chassis on the RWD version. AWD may have sub frame. There does not appear to be a connection in the image to the pack.

Back to the MAX(VIN) function.

Attachments

• 3 pack architecture_hi_lite.jpg
    3 pack architecture_hi_lite.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 69
@MP3Mike , please explain to me why you keep disagreeing with me? Let me hear your counter argument against mine.

I don't think you have shown that the Model 3 can't have wheels attached without a battery pack, the image you posted just doesn't show a lot of stuff that is there. Refer to the prior post by @mongo.

Just look at all of the structure even without a battery attached:
Model 3 No Battery.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo and tracksyde
I don't think you have shown that the Model 3 can't have wheels attached without a battery pack, the image you posted just doesn't show a lot of stuff that is there. Refer to the prior post by @mongo.

Just look at all of the structure even without a battery attached:
View attachment 260256
Fair enough. I'm still skeptical they would build up cars without packs. Let's get back to intent of this thread.

Reactions: mongo