Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just guessing here (not an auto engineer), but if the line at any point was designed to handle a chassis with the battery pack installed - wouldn't not having one require a massive recallibration due to significant difference in weight as the chassis is being handled?

No, the MS/X packs are manufactured at Fremont. The GF isn't involved in them at all.

I was under the impression that the 100 kWh packs are also gigafactory** and 90 kWh and below for S/X were Fremont. Making it

* S packs below 90 and below - Fremont, CA
* X packs below 90 and below - Fremont, CA

* 100 kWh packs for all vehicles - Sparks, NV (gigafactory)
* Model 3 packs - Sparks, NV (gigafactory)
* powerwall / powerpack modules - - Sparks, NV (gigafactory)

** supported by quotes like
Tesla said that the major factor affecting Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs, which are made using new technologies on new production lines.
and
It blamed a “severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs, which are made using new technologies on new production lines” at its Nevada battery plant.

Also, in response to Waiting4M3, I'm pretty sure that the S/X are still using the 18650 old style batteries and the Model 3 has the new 2170, so there is no mixing possible. Elon said earlier this year that the S/X would redesigned for the new batteries later this year, but I'm pretty sure that is not happening for awhile.

While it is true the S and X are using the 18650 cells, the 100 kWh pack is being built in Nevada per everything I've seen about it. For example More factory problems as Elon Musk's Tesla starts producing the Model 3

VIN 1096 spotted among 20-30 others according to this comment.

Six Model 3s in Playa Vista • r/teslamotors

Edit: images of VINs Playa Vista Model 3 staging area

Here is 1096 from that page.

penmgCd.jpg

I was under the impression that the 100 kWh packs are also gigafactory** and 90 kWh and below for S/X were Fremont.

Of course the 100kWh modules are made on a new line, they are a totally different design than the old modules. That doesn't mean those new lines aren't in Fremont.

You will notice that the "at its Nevada battery plant" portion you quoted wasn't in quotes because Tesla didn't say it. The author made it up because they thought it was true.

In the 2016 Q3 conference call Elon said "I receive daily updates on the 100-hour kilowatt hour production. After this call, I am going to be on the 100-kilowatt hour production line because the demand is high, and we just need to satisfy that demand." I'm pretty sure he was at Fremont for that call.

I'm pretty sure that the Gigafactory is all 2170 cells (both made on-site and imported), and Fremont is all 18650 cells.

I am just guessing here (not an auto engineer), but if the line at any point was designed to handle a chassis with the battery pack installed - wouldn't not having one require a massive recallibration due to significant difference in weight as the chassis is being handled?
If they used pneumatic suspension on carts that carry partially finished vehicles, or if the motor drives are force based, then the parameters would need adjusted (should be parameter in SW).

If the robot movements are velocity based, they'll use less force. That may get reported due to being below expected values. In which case more SW parameter changes, but on the monitoring side.

One exception is if the robot has a counterweight to reduce torque when lifting the vehicle (and removed when empty), then there might need to be some real world physical adjusting.

Also, in response to Waiting4M3, I'm pretty sure that the S/X are still using the 18650 old style batteries and the Model 3 has the new 2170, so there is no mixing possible. Elon said earlier this year that the S/X would redesigned for the new batteries later this year, but I'm pretty sure that is not happening for awhile.
I don't mean mixing the M3 2170 cells with MS/X 18650 cells. I only meant to say that M3 battery packs can be loaded onto a truck to Fremont along with any other cargo that might be going from GGF to Fremont, there is no need to wait for a dedicated truck just for the M3 packs, as OP was concerned about how often M3 packs are delivered from GGF to Fremont and if that would be a bottleneck. The MS/X pack was just one example of shared cargo I had in my head at the time, but it's really not important to my point. It could be anything, battery cells, M3 drive units, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
IMG_3885.jpg IMG_3886.jpg IMG_3887.jpg IMG_3888.jpg

Stopped back at the Columbus OH Service Center yesterday (11/15) to drop off loaner and there was a car hauler in the lot. He had just dropped off a customer's MS75. As I pulled in I saw this on top. I knew it was not an MS but, being east of the Mississippi , I didn't expect a M3 and brushed it off as a MX but as I got closer realized it was a M3. Serial number 000629 being delivered today (11/16) to some lucky employee in Cleveland OH.

Edit: Saw a post from yesterday of 001096 so this is obviously not the highest VIN in the wild.

Of course the 100kWh modules are made on a new line, they are a totally different design than the old modules. That doesn't mean those new lines aren't in Fremont.

You will notice that the "at its Nevada battery plant" portion you quoted wasn't in quotes because Tesla didn't say it. The author made it up because they thought it was true.

In the 2016 Q3 conference call Elon said "I receive daily updates on the 100-hour kilowatt hour production. After this call, I am going to be on the 100-kilowatt hour production line because the demand is high, and we just need to satisfy that demand." I'm pretty sure he was at Fremont for that call.

I'm pretty sure that the Gigafactory is all 2170 cells (both made on-site and imported), and Fremont is all 18650 cells.

The Q3 conference call was made from the Gigafactory. Source:

Tesla Motors, Inc. Third Quarter 2017 Financial Results Q&A Conference Call | Tesla Motors

Elon states the call is being made from the Gigafactory at about 1:45 into the call.