Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S/N vs date update, it's happening, with 4 reports of deliveries this past weekend on Instagram, and 8 M3 on a delivery truck today.
View attachment 258552

One thing to note about this chart... All VINs in the 300s that were spotted before September were release candidate VINs, not production. It might be worth removing those from the chart so that the progression is more clear.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
One thing to note about this chart... All VINs in the 300s that were spotted before September were release candidate VINs, not production. It might be worth removing those from the chart so that the progression is more clear.
If 300's are release candidates, then should all VINs before them also be eliminated? If on the other hand Tesla produces them out of order, then noting highest VIN doesn't give us much as 1000's may be produced before 900's and/or 800's, 2000's may be produced before Tesla produces even 1000 cars, etc, etc.

If 300's are release candidates, then should all VINs before them also be eliminated? If on the other hand Tesla produces them out of order, then noting highest VIN doesn't give us much as 1000's may be produced before 900's and/or 800's, 2000's may be produced before Tesla produces even 1000 cars, etc, etc.

The RCs had 300 VINs with other characters that were also different. In other words, if there is a VIN 312 RC car, then there is probably also a VIN 312 production car that was produced later (with different characters elsewhere in the VIN). I believe every VIN lower than 300 is a production VIN without exception. I don't believe a production 3xx VIN Model 3 was spotted until late September.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
You are mistaken. Those are "start of production cars".
RCs had different "nonsense" VIN.

Read this:
Pictures of production Model 3s

The RCs had 300 VINs with other characters that were also different. In other words, if there is a VIN 312 RC car, then there is probably also a VIN 312 production car that was produced later (with different characters elsewhere in the VIN).

True RCs were low VIN numbers like 007, 042, etc. below 100. There were no 3xx RCs.
We have pictures of both 007 cars - RC (with "broken" VIN) and a proper production car (one of the first 30). They have a different colour. Dig through the pictures thread.

RCs can't be sold and they are not counted in Tesla's statistics.

Last edited:

Read this:

True RCs were low VIN numbers like 007, 042, etc. below 100. There were no 3xx RCs.
We have pictures of both 007 cars - RC (with "broken" VIN) and a proper production car (one of the first 30). They have a different colour. Dig through the pictures thread.

Yes, the early 300 series cars were about 20 extra production cars built during July for various internal purposes. They are full production cars with production VINs, except the VINs were out of sequence. There are also customer cars built later with VINs in the 300 range, but not the same exact numbers.

Last edited:
No new VINs as of today but here's something I've been working on for people who doubt that the number of VIN's corresponds to vehicles.

Vin Tracker

Kind of my personal journal but lists out VINs 735-2151 in the Columns A & B, 2151-2638 in F & G, with all the not reg in between. If you search for not reg comes out to 181. Also there were 2 i found with valid vins that didn't have a 0 recall notice but rather an error (1136, 1135)

So a little basic math yields VINs 735 to 2638, or 1904 VINs in the spreadsheet. Then filter out the not registered (181) and the 2 error VINs and you get 1721 valid registered VINs with the NHTSA. Of course we still don't know at what point a VIN can be registered with the NHTSA but I am thinking its when a vehicle is produced.

Read this:

I think there may be some assumptions going on here. Several Model 3s with 3xx VINs were seen in early August, just as the first few production cars were being delivered. Many of them had significant panel gap issues that were not present in 3xx-VIN cars spotted in late September, or even in the first 30 cars delivered. The earliest sightings of 3xx VIN Model 3s also did not jive with the very steady ramp-up of VINs that was otherwise being seen. The black Model 3 Elon posted a picture of in early July was VIN 001, and was supposedly the first one produced as a production vehicle. So, is the suggestion that Tesla produced "start of production" Model 3s starting from 001 and steadily counting up from there... while also producing 3xx-VIN production cars for no apparent reason?

Nevermind... just read gregincal's post and that makes sense. That being said... even if they are "production" cars, they are clearly being used only for internal testing and were probably not delivered to normal employee customers. Their VINs are also a bad indicator of the rate of the ramp up, considering when they were produced. Personally, if I were creating a chart showing the ramp of spotted VINs, I wouldn't include any 3xx car spotted in August.

No new VINs as of today but here's something I've been working on for people who doubt that the number of VIN's corresponds to vehicles.

Vin Tracker

Kind of my personal journal but lists out VINs 735-2151 in the Columns A & B, 2151-2638 in F & G, with all the not reg in between. If you search for not reg comes out to 181. Also there were 2 i found with valid vins that didn't have a 0 recall notice but rather an error (1136, 1135)

So a little basic math yields VINs 735 to 2638, or 1904 VINs in the spreadsheet. Then filter out the not registered (181) and the 2 error VINs and you get 1721 valid registered VINs with the NHTSA. Of course we still don't know at what point a VIN can be registered with the NHTSA but I am thinking its when a vehicle is produced.

I think you may have made an error in your calculation. All of the "not registered" VINs in your spreadsheet are actually valid VINs with NHTSA. The check digit for these VINs is "X", which corresponds to a remainder of 10 when you run the check digit calculation. Serial number 2633, is one of these VINs and you can see here that it shows as valid.

BTW if you happen to be pulling these from the NHTSA site manually, I may be able to save you some time. I setup a Twitter account that sends updates when new VINs are registered with NHTSA (see my comment above).

Thanks @tsunamiofhurt

I was wondering why they kept skipping VINs. SO in that case you can add 181 back in and get around 1902 VINs registered 735 and above...

Also I'm happy you created that, I won't have to check the few that I was daily to see when new ones were registered. Main purpose of this checking of VINs was to show Tesla hasn't skipped vehicles in the numbering process.

Here's a link to a post of a picture of VIN 1088 from the Model 3 group on facebook

Grrr, Facebook :eek:

I had to:
  1. Take Facebook out of /etc/host*s (that's /etc then /hosts but TMC won't let me post the full pathname)
  2. Start a new web browser
  3. Log in to Facebook
  4. Restart this page to look at this signin
  5. Then from Facebook I got:
Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 9.32.59 AM.png

Really? A Facebook link? Please, next time, just a screenshot; Facebook is a walled garden, and for most of us who go out of our way to avoid it, a bear to get into, and most of the time, it doesn't even work as advertised, anyway. If it happened on Facebook, it didn't happen. It's easy to take a screenshot of something on your screen and just post that; that way, you aren't "just" copying content, but giving a portrayal of your view into the world, which is more of a witness and less about copying.

Last edited:
Grrr, Facebook :eek:

I had to:
  1. Take Facebook out of /etc/host*s (that's /etc then /hosts but TMC won't let me post the full pathname)
  2. Start a new web browser
  3. Log in to Facebook
  4. Restart this page to look at this signin
  5. Then from Facebook I got:
View attachment 259121

Really? A Facebook link? Please, next time, just a screenshot; Facebook is a walled garden, and for most of us who go out of our way to avoid it, a bear to get into, and most of the time, it doesn't even work as advertised, anyway. If it happened on Facebook, it didn't happen. It's easy to take a screenshot of something on your screen and just post that; that way, you aren't "just" copying content, but giving a portrayal of your view into the world, which is more of a witness and less about copying.

It's a bad URL, my work allows facebook here so I didn't have to unblock it and I get
Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

The 1088 VIN photo is available in this thread.

So lets put it here:

img_1768-jpg.258841