Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered item 2 and 1 from the diagram above which appears to be the 2024 highland car. I'm going to try replacing the set on my 2018 car with them. They generally look the same as the 2018 part, just smoothed out maybe to aid in releasing from the mold for manufacturing. The bushings look different which is why I ordered them. I had to keep telling Tesla I know they "might not fit my 2018". Cost is 360 for the entire front "axle", meaning both sides. Before ordering I checked with Unplugged Performance and was told they haven't validated (tested) the fitment but the lower arms should fit. The hardware is also the same I noticed.

My front upper control arms were replaced recently with the upgraded German Meyle units, and now I hear creaking so I'm going after the lower arms.

If you don't want to spend 3k on coilovers, the Teins are a good option. They ride well, and based on the data it appears they use FSD like the new Highland car. Only downside I see is Tein's design is likely heavier. I had a set briefly on an Acura and Honda. The Honda got plenty of abuse but never had an issue.

Currently @ 135k miles.
Do provide an update especially about the fitment first. This would also make MY owners happy.

Tesla have said that all the bushes have been changed to reduce NVH. Presumably to a different rubber compound. That's going to mean all the suspension arms and knuckles will have different part numbers at least.
There was also a mention that the front suspenion geometry had been revised, but I haven't yet seen any detail on that.

Reactions: enemji
Good to read. Side by side picture would be great. There must be a reason the part numbers are different.

Expansion gaps is where I usually start noticing the ball joints on the lower arms going bad.
I just switched over to the 18” Michelin Primacy Tour AS tires (MSPN. 06522) and the way it handles expansion joints is just another level. Prior to that I have had Michelin MXM4 as well as Hankook Kinergy GT tires.

Tesla have said that all the bushes have been changed to reduce NVH. Presumably to a different rubber compound. That's going to mean all the suspension arms and knuckles will have different part numbers at least.
There was also a mention that the front suspenion geometry had been revised, but I haven't yet seen any detail on that.
It’s not, at least not any big differences. The damper hardware front and rear is exactly the same. Then of course bushings and settings inside the dampers may be different.

Saw a youtube video that mentioned a bunch of chassis improvements on the highland as well such as extra welds and such. I'll have to find that video again and post it here. The new suspension is just part of the new ride comfort.

Reactions: GOVA
If Tesla part numbers work like any of the OEM companies I have worked for, they wouldn’t change part numbers if the part is back-compatible, just make a letter state “revision.” Then, they can cancel the old number and don’t need to keep an endless supply in warehouses for servicing the out of production fleet.

Reactions: enemji
The only geometry change im aware of is the hubs.
20240324_105000.jpg
20240324_103850.jpg
20240324_103657.jpg
20240324_103650.jpg
20240324_105137.jpg
20240324_105012.jpg
20240324_105012.jpg
20240324_105000.jpg
20240324_103850.jpg
20240324_103657.jpg
20240324_103650.jpg

If Tesla part numbers work like any of the OEM companies I have worked for, they wouldn’t change part numbers if the part is back-compatible, just make a letter state “revision.” Then, they can cancel the old number and don’t need to keep an endless supply in warehouses for servicing the out of production fleet.
Yup. You can still order the old part and will be shipped the latest revision.