Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my (late) update:

Installed highland dampers (front and rear) in my 22 model 3 LR and it’s a big improvement. Like the other poster said, has to be 85-90% as good as highland, and I bet the other small amount can be made up by getting some good comfy tires. Everything bolts up the same way, 5-6/10 difficulty for a DIY install for me, took about 2 hours per axle.

I did buy the rear springs and will do that too later, but am not expecting much more improvement from those.

Biggest improvement IMO is harsh city bumps that feel much better dampened.

Good upgrade overall.
Thanks to updating! I'm DEFINITELY gonna get front and rear dampers and do this as well on my 2022 Model 3 LR.

I drove a Highland the other day, and it's SOOOOO much better than my Model 3 lol.

Reactions: vinvango
I just finished installing highland springs and dampers to my ’22 M3 LR. It has been over a month since I test drove a highland so my memory might not be accurate, but the improvementfrom stock is huge. Swallows larger bumps much better and does not have any jerkiness over smaller imperfections. It still has suspension ‘sound’ eg when there is a bump you can still hear suspension ‘thumps’ when it rebounds. This might improve over next weeks as the car is noticeably higher than before, new springs need to settle. I would say this upgrade gives 90% of the highland suspension.

I previously tried KONI Active frequency dampers with original springs. I would say it was mostly as harsh as original. There might have been a defect in the front KONI dampers, in 2000-3000km they developed a clunk and I retorqued everything with no improvement. Switched back to original dampers and clunk was gone.

Part numbers for highland suspension:
1344362-00-D Front Left Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344362-01-D Front Right Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344462-00-D Rear Damper (140€/piece)
1344472-00-B Rear Spring (120€(piece)
So according to this the fronts are cheaper compared to the rears? Front shock and spring for 185 while rear shock + spring 260?
Also for the rears I think you got the part numbers swapped :)

Here’s my (late) update:

Installed highland dampers (front and rear) in my 22 model 3 LR and it’s a big improvement. Like the other poster said, has to be 85-90% as good as highland, and I bet the other small amount can be made up by getting some good comfy tires. Everything bolts up the same way, 5-6/10 difficulty for a DIY install for me, took about 2 hours per axle.

I did buy the rear springs and will do that too later, but am not expecting much more improvement from those.

Good upgrade overall.
Sorry for the noob question here. Do the fronts come as an assembly (shocks + springs)?
Also how did you go about ordering the parts? I tried yesterday but cannot access the Tesla parts store with my Tesla account (app account)

Sorry for the noob question here. Do the fronts come as an assembly (shocks + springs)?
Also how did you go about ordering the parts? I tried yesterday but cannot access the Tesla parts store with my Tesla account (app account
You can only purchase the fronts as an assembly from Tesla, meaning the springs are already part of the shock and you won't need to use any spring compressors to install the springs, which some people do not feel comfortable using (lots of energy stored in a compressed car suspension spring)

What worked for me is going to my local Tesla service center and requesting the exact part numbers I need. You can also go to the app and do it there by sending them a message that you only want to order parts, but I'd rather have someone's full attention, which is why I ordered them in-person.

Reactions: Tethlaaaa
Here’s my (late) update:

Good upgrade overall.
Thanks for you feedback !

Any thoughts on getting those front and rear dampers installed on a TM3 PERF 2019 ?

Without changing the springs this might keep the same height than before and have no incidence on ride stock control ?

Lol even the "cheap" suspension upgrades are $1,500 USD before tax... It's literally springs and shocks, that's it...
Indeed, captain obvious!
1715552047124.png

UP and MPP don't give a flying **** about anything but profit margins.

How do you know?
What are their profit margins?

Any thoughts on getting those front and rear dampers installed on a TM3 PERF 2019 ?
Without changing the springs this might keep the same height than before and have no incidence on ride stock control ?

Keeping stock springs, all other things being equal, will result in the original ride height.
However, the spring and shocks must be matched so that the shock dampens isolation equally for the compression and the rebound. If the shock is design for higher ride height but you lower it with shorter (TM3P) springs, it's range of compression travel will be limited, and you will be hitting bump stops way too early, and way too frequently. That is neither a pleasant, nor desirable experience for either the driver, or the shock.

The problem with the original TM3P shocks is that Tesla did just that - install shorter springs (on early 2019 TM3P's) without updating shocks. Consequently, you are riding bump stops and it's a highly suboptimal experience.

HTH,
a

The stock bottom out is the same between all the versions of a specific model. It's usually a mechanical limit. The front of both the 3 and Y have very limited extra travel but the rear you can add 10mm+ to with aftermarket suspension, but at a risk of battery damage.

The right way to lower is with a significantly stiffer spring rate and more damping.

Spring rate balance front to rear is more important IMO and has massive effect on ride comfort.
Stock springs are way too soft and don't have enough low speed damping. Combine that with hitting the bump stops constantly and your ride sucks. The shocks also have too much high speed compression damping causing harshness.

The stock bottom out is the same between all the versions of a specific model. It's usually a mechanical limit. The front of both the 3 and Y have very limited extra travel but the rear you can add 10mm+ to with aftermarket suspension, but at a risk of battery damage.

The right way to lower is with a significantly stiffer spring rate and more damping.

Spring rate balance front to rear is more important IMO and has massive effect on ride comfort.
Stock springs are way too soft and don't have enough low speed damping. Combine that with hitting the bump stops constantly and your ride sucks. The shocks also have too much high speed compression damping causing harshness.
Lol it's becoming more and more apparent that Tethla did everything wrong with first gen suspension XD

I am updating my 2021 LR AWD to Highland shocks. I am placing an order at Tesla.

I am replacing both front shocks and springs because they arrive assembled from Tesla.

What about rear springs? Would you keep 2021 springs and replace only shocks or replace both shock absorbers and springs?
I think many are waiting how spring situation develops.. as one member installed those and car then sat around 1.5-2cm higer than originally.. waiting to see if it sacks down after a while..

I think many are waiting how spring situation develops.. as one member installed those and car then sat around 1.5-2cm higer than originally.. waiting to see if it sacks down after a while..
This is an overblown concern. Springs that are fully relaxed during suspension work need to be used for some time before they settle back into their original height.

Yes, technically these dampers do exhibit a small restoring force because of the gas chamber in the monotube, but even I can overcome that force with my own strength. That is negligible.

TL;DR: Spring determine ride height, not damper.

Reactions: enemji
The old dampers, when compressed by hand, rebounded much, much slower than the new dampers.
Nice. Did you lift the bellows up to compare the new bump stops with the old, to see if they are dimensionally the same?

I noticed a gap between the bellow perch and the bellow on your old rear shock not present on the new shock. The old bellow appears to be the same part, so was thinking the shock travel is not the same with the new shock, thus, bump stop must also be different.

1716136780024.png

Nice. Did you lift the bellows up to compare the new bump stops with the old, to see if they are dimensionally the same?

I noticed a gap between the bellow perch and the bellow on your old rear shock not present on the new shock. The old bellow appears to be the same part, so was thinking the shock travel is not the same with the new shock, thus, bump stop must also be different.

View attachment 1048607
Same bumpstop. Old dust cover is just a little shorter with age.

2017-2023 Model 3:
1716145461495.png

2024 Model 3:
1716145530719.png

This tells me that you have had very bad experiences driving in city at city speeds, but possibly OK on the highways with the old danpers.
No, he is saying that after removing the old shocks from the car and manually compressing both new and old shocks, he noticed that the old shocks rebounded from compressed state much slower than the new ones.

City and Highway driving can be just as harsh depending on the size of the bumps.

No, he is saying that after removing the old shocks from the car and manually compressing both new and old shocks, he noticed that the old shocks rebounded from compressed state much slower than the new ones.
ANY 50+K mile shock is liable to have lost some gas, thus leading to lower compressing/rebound forces vs. new.
The loss is very gradual, over many years, and is virtually impossible to detect and perceive unless you take a shock out and compare it side-by-side with a new one.

This is not to suggest that new Model 3 Highland shock has higher compression or rebound force. The opposite may very well be the case.
But, by the virtue of being new, it will <currently> have higher rebound rate when comparing 0 mile new vs. 50+K mile old OEM shock.

As to effect of riding on dead shocks?
It will not be rebounding as quickly, will allow corner to compress further (until shock hits bump stops, then sudden arrest of travel), or failing to dampen the isolation with a single compression->rebound cycle (aka bouncing around). Basically, the car will bounce more, and dive deeper under weight transfer.

To be specific, after I had installed my stiffer and marginally lower Ohlins' kit, the nose of the car stopped rising during acceleration, or dipping under braking. The front mud flaps no longer scrape under any circumstances - not coming into my driveway, not leaving it, nor going over train tracks. In the past, they used to scrape all the time.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji