Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland top speed reduced…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that changes soon. If you are driving like that on the highway you are a menace.

No need to wish people ill will. He clearly said cars are one of the few true pleasures he has in his life. That's great and hope it continues but in a safe and responsible manner, place, and time which are all things that should be considered and not just how fast we're driving. I think that should be the message and not wishing for people to learn through getting hurt.

Reactions: Lindenwood
No need to wish people ill will. He clearly said cars are one of the few true pleasures he has in his life. That's great and hope it continues but in a safe and responsible manner, place, and time which are all things that should be considered and not just how fast we're driving. I think that should be the message and not wishing for people to learn through getting hurt.
Yes, I updated what I wrote. I was scanning the posts and thought he’d written he’d never gotten a ticket in his life (I hope that parts changes). I don’t wish anyone get into an accident. And I’m totally fine with driving fast. I love it. I’ve hit 135 MPH —on the track where it belongs and where everyone else signed up for it too.

Fairly certain any stock production Model 3 base would be limited to same 125mph. Provides separation from premium trims and the Model S, while preserving same performance to previous years models. This will be true until some liberal State legislates in speed governors. CA has an SB floating around this year. My god these sheep are dumb.

As speed increases the likelihood of an accident increases dramatically.

Not necessarily.
If you are paying attention on quality roads, and staying with a flow of traffic (yes, including at 100+ mph), then there is nothing wrong with going fast.
In fact, it would be unsafe to go much slower than the prevailing flow of traffic, as it's the delta-V that gets you, not the V.

Any bump or turn at 150 mph would be the end. At 110 mph or perhaps even 120 mph the car can handle much more before it becomes unsettled.

This is totally horsecr*p.
As someone who has done multiple 150+mph runs in Germany, there is very little difference between 90mph and 150mph in a quality car on a quality road.
Your biggest menace are the slow-poke left-lane bandits who meander into the left-most lane for no good reason. Which is utterly irresponsible and illegal in Germany, and in many states in the US.

To be fair, I picked up my E46 BMW in Europe, and drove it really fast! I remember driving on the A41 from Grenoble to Geneva, doing 200kmh, and it seemed both easy and normal. It made getting there, pretty quick too! Now,

Same here in an F80, after break-in.
Thoroughly enjoyable, though not the most economic mode of travel ;-).

I would not feel comfortable doing the same in a stock Tesla. Tesla suspension is way to floaty and unstable at US highway speeds, never mind German ones.

HTH,
a

I don't think someone who lives in the bay area can comprehend how little traffic there is in some areas.
Have you ever driven on 280 between Mountain View and San Francisco. Autobahn of the bay area!

Jokes aside, I actually went and did a highland test drive. I was expecting it to be soft and disappointing, but I have to say, i thought the suspension damping was quite good, and felt a lot more refined than the older model. I'm really at a loss for why they've lowered the speed rating other than just because someone said so

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I'm really at a loss for why they've lowered the speed rating other than just because someone said so

We've had this discussion over in other areas on TMC. There are many possible reasons from technical ones to marketing. One big possibility is aerodynamic stability. They have reduced Aero drag on the Highland by 8%. Low drag cars often have issues with aerodynamic stability, and this would not be the first time that a car has had issues. The first Audi TT was famous for killing multiple people as it became unstable at about 125 MPH because the low drag shape created rear end lift, and they had to retrofit a spoiler, which added drag.

I think this whole discussion worried about a non-sports car having a 125MPH limiter is silly, and I'm somone that regularly drives above that on tracks. I had a rental EV last week that had a 91 MPH speed limiter, and all modern Volvos have a 112 MPH speed limiter. There are lots of reasons a manufacturer would do this, and for 99.99% of owners they would have zero idea it was even there. If Tesla lost every single sale of every Tesla that has ever been over 100 MPH, much less 125 MPH they'd still have the same market cap.

Last edited:
I think this whole discussion worried about a non-sports car having a 125MPH limiter is silly, and I'm somone that regularly drives above that on tracks. I had a rental EV last week that had a 91 MPH speed limiter, and all modern Volvos have a 112 MPH speed limiter.

I agree with this point, i don't think anyone buying a base Model 3 cares AT ALL about driving over 125.

But The Lucid Air has an even lower aero drag profile and they go 168 in the GT and 205 in the sapphire. I still am of the opinion that someone at the company said, let's reduce our risk by lowering the top speed of the cars that 99.99% of buyers will never use in the chance that one person is stupid and unsafe and puts the company's name at additional risk

I agree with this point, i don't think anyone buying a base Model 3 cares AT ALL about driving over 125.

But The Lucid Air has an even lower aero drag profile and they go 168 in the GT and 205 in the sapphire. I still am of the opinion that someone at the company said, let's reduce our risk by lowering the top speed of the cars that 99.99% of buyers will never use in the chance that one person is stupid and unsafe and puts the company's name at additional risk
Aero is a little more complicated than that. You could have a low Cd and still generate downforce at speed. Most cars generate lift, and it's possible the highland generates too much.

Reactions: gearchruncher