Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's tweeted that he's headed for LZ-1 (Landing Zone 1) so yes.

I wonder when the stage will be re-flown? Hopefully before Bezos tries.

Please remember that before Bezos there was DC-X and Grasshopper doing vertical landings. But SpaceX's flight is "The Real Deal! A big night!
Elon IS at the Cape. I sent him a tweet, saying. "I would very much like a photo of the Model X (surely you had one there) sitting next to the rocket when the sun comes up!"

CWzMPm2U8AAca4k.jpg

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/679145544673923072
Non soot area? That much LOX still in the tank?

Last edited:
I cried too. So amazing. That simple picture of stage 1 on the landing pad is so simple and so important. I badly want to know what condition it is in. Does anyone know what the plan is for the first "used" rocket? Think they will just refurb and do a test launch with no payload?

Such a fantastic night. By the way, all of it occurred as to close to smack-dab just at the precise time of the winter solstice as possible (that was at 11:49EST). So a brand new year and a brand new era.

When Jenny asked me whether they would just re-fill the booster and pop another load on it, I first said that they likely would tear it down utterly to learn all they could....but, because of its historic nature, it belongs at the Air & Space Museum.

Wow, that made me quite engineering-ly emotional. I told myself I wouldn't cry, but man what an engineering accomplishment. So unbelievable and I can't wait to jump for joy every time they land one of these beauties!

Half to imagine there some competitors that are possibly a bit more worried about competing after tonight. ;)

Perhaps we can cut Jeff some slack on the account that he does not tweet much :biggrin:

Maybe he just meant to poke Elon a bit, but the way it came across unleashed twitter fury

I don't think Mr Bezos deserves fathoms of slack, but I do think it's payback for the tweet Mr Musk sent him not many weeks ago. Am I wrong?

I don't know what SpaceX plans are for this particular booster, but this is a historic chance to do a tear down and see what parts are stressed, where the weaknesses are, etc. No one in history has been able to inspect their first stage so they might be able to improve it before.