Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Half to imagine there some competitors that are possibly a bit more worried about competing after tonight. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, it's not so much competitors as it is the bloviating Senator Shelby who deserves something crude involving that booster and the more eloquent portion of his anatomy.

Such a fantastic night. By the way, all of it occurred as to close to smack-dab just at the precise time of the winter solstice as possible (that was at 11:49EST). So a brand new year and a brand new era.

When Jenny asked me whether they would just re-fill the booster and pop another load on it, I first said that they likely would tear it down utterly to learn all they could....but, because of its historic nature, it belongs at the Air & Space Museum.
Agree w all that. Love the solstice thing, hadn't thought of that. And haha every tweet to Bezos is some version of "you suck dude", while every one to SpaceX says "yeah! Alright! Way to go" (of course:smile:) kind of restores hope in my old cynic heart.

Last edited:
And THIS shows how eloquent and meaningful a single photograph - no words - can be:
CWzKCB3UAAAy2NC.jpg

I cried too. So amazing. That simple picture of stage 1 on the landing pad is so simple and so important. I badly want to know what condition it is in. Does anyone know what the plan is for the first "used" rocket? Think they will just refurb and do a test launch with no payload?

Musk made comments during the post flight news conference and said they are saving it. Like the first Dragon that came back from orbit that is currently hung from the factory ceiling.

Last edited:
To me what is really incredible is how many things they did new on this flight and ALL of them worked!

1. Super-chilled fuel
2. Total redesign of 2nd stage
3. Eleven (!) satellites launched from one platform
4. And of course, the spectacular landing!!!

So, so happy for the whole team. I thought is was great for Elon to have so many of his young brilliant crew do the pre-flight briefing. That whole thing should be watched in every science classroom around the world!

Congratulations to everyone at SpaceX for this historic achievement!

I don't think Mr Bezos deserves fathoms of slack, but I do think it's payback for the tweet Mr Musk sent him not many weeks ago. Am I wrong?
In tonight's episode of THE SPACE RACE, the part of the USSR will be played by Jeff Bezos. USA! USA!

Seriously, though: when you have a competitor/adversary threatening to beat you at something, it forces you to raise your game. Maybe a factor in helping SpaceX stick the landing tonight was the motivation and pressure that comes from that competition?