Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit potholes during road trip, and steering wheel started to feel floaty/loose. Can the front right camber be fixed by local wheel adjustment people?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pictures:

20230503_125140.jpg20230503_125303.jpg20230503_125359.jpg20230503_125405.jpg20230503_125421.jpg20230503_125421.jpg20230503_125439.jpg

I don't see any damage at all visually. Possibly one of the arm is actually bent, or a rubber bushing is broken, but that's impossible to tell via some photos.

I'm surprised at the tech saying it's damaged and then let you drive away. Did they give you any reasons why they didn't adjust the right rear camber? According to the service manual, there are 3 bolted joints that you could loosen to get a bit of camber adjustments:

• Rear upper aft link to subframe
  • Rear lower aft link to subframe
  • Rear knuckle to rear lower aft link
They really need to give you more information and point out what's "damage" and if they've moved all 3 adjustment locations to get the car in spec.

I don't see any damage at all visually. Possibly one of the arm is actually bent, or a rubber bushing is broken, but that's impossible to tell via some photos.

I'm surprised at the tech saying it's damaged and then let you drive away. Did they give you any reasons why they didn't adjust the right rear camber? According to the service manual, there are 3 bolted joints that you could loosen to get a bit of camber adjustments:

• Rear upper aft link to subframe
  • Rear lower aft link to subframe
  • Rear knuckle to rear lower aft link
They really need to give you more information and point out what's "damage" and if they've moved all 3 adjustment locations to get the car in spec.
I honestly don't know. I've requested the info from the SC, both the spec sheet and the technicians observations about the damage to the right hand lower control arm.

The car seems to have been adjusted to in-spec. It drives straight, though the steering wheel handling is still off.

Now the question is... can I get to Virginia without replacing that part???
I wouldn't worry about it, a pothole most likely would bend rims, destroy the bump stop, make a bulge in the tire... bending an suspension arm is very rare. The fact that he let your car go, and that your alignment is within specs, and that he didn't actually show you what damage was done, and that we couldn't see any impact damage from your photos...

All those add up to me feeling pretty confident your car is safe to drive.

Reactions: brkaus and fredjan
I'm not sure how to proceed from here, other than getting a diagnosis from a Tesla-recommended body shop.

Apart from that, I think legit if I could return my car I would. I'm unhappy that a control arm "broke" so soon within 4 months of ownership
Doesn't really inspire confidence as to how long I can actually own this car.
I would much rather have a reliable gas vehicle than this BS.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I'm not sure how to proceed from here...I'm unhappy that a control arm "broke" so soon within 4 months of ownership
Doesn't really inspire confidence as to how long I can actually own this car.

Go back to the shop that told you about the control arm damage, explain that you are worried about it, and ask for photos and descriptions. You'll quickly discover that they simply lied to you because there won't be anything visible in the photos and they'll just say that you can't see it.

Reactions: fredjan
What is still true is that the steering wheel still feels wrong, and the car doesn't handle like it used to. Technically my car has been aligned and drives straight, but there must be something else going on.

Sigh... going to take it to another Tesla SC in TX

What is still true is that the steering wheel still feels wrong, and the car doesn't handle like it used to. Technically my car has been aligned and drives straight, but there must be something else going on.

Sigh... going to take it to another Tesla SC in TX
Honest question... is it in your mind? Like expecting it to be different, so being very sensitive?

Reactions: fredjan
Honest question... is it in your mind? Like expecting it to be different, so being very sensitive?
No, when I took delivery of my car the steering wheel was stiff and very responsive. Right now the steering wheel even in sport mode feels loose. Tbh there doesn't seem to be a difference in steering regardless of mode (comfort/standard/sport), which just feels wrong

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
your wheels would bend and your tire would blow long before a control arm is bend... i've gone through countless potholes in my life and the rare occurence was a slightly bend wheel once.

how big was the pothole?
I don't know. At this point I'm not sure if I even hit one specific pothole that could have caused this issue. I'm now becoming more convinced that this is an actual problem caused by Tesla/their manufacturing instead of my problem