Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit & Run, Need Help ID License

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act - if you're turning left and get into an accident; it's usually your fault as it is written "Must make sure intersection is clear of oncoming traffic before proceeding".

The Hyundai is more responsible for this accident... she knew it... and left the scene in a panic.
Actually, the intersection was “clear” before the Hyundai proceeded into the intersection. The Tesla was under yellow for 3.8secs before entering well after the Hyundai. In fact, the Tesla sees the Hyundai turning, before entering the intersection and still enters. Who didn’t look to see if the intersection was clear before entering? 2/10ths of a second after entering, the Tesla’s light turns red. Who has the right of way?

Reactions: Dan84
I can't quite make out the license plate but I'm pretty sure your sister was hit by Sasquatch.

hyundai-driver-lady-png.453963

My sister's Model 3 was involved in a hit and run accident today. Brampton Ontario Canada.

Her car was going straight through a light (yellow) and someone turning left hit her. Told the driver to pull off to the side to exchange info but she took off instead. Dashcam was active but there wasn't a good shot of the license plate. Can kind of read it but not enough.....

Front / L / R Repeater video clips can be found here:
Model 3 Accident - Google Drive

Well, that was my brother in-law speaking to the other driver. He asked her to pull into a nearby plaza to not block traffic and she agreed. But instead of pulling in there, the other driver just took off and left.....

Confused by the thread and who exactly people think was driving the Model 3. OP says it's sister's car but doesn't say she was driving. And when I watched the Left Repeater video footage, a male emerges from the front driver's door there (you see the door with side view mirror swing open to a male exiting so he wasn't sitting in the left rear second row). Many on this thread refer to the sister as the driver and since I believe Canadian cars (also evidenced by the other driver being on the left front) have the steering wheel on the left side, it has to be a male driving, right, and the brother-in-law driving the sister's car, right?

Last edited:
You're right, it was a man that stepped out of the car, but the OP wrote, "Her car was going straight through a light (yellow) and someone turning left hit her". One assumes "her" is his sister, but it could be the car!

heh interesting thread. imo I don't care who is legally right (tho I the hyundai seem to turn Tesla enter the intersection), the fact is driver's code... is you let those waiting to turn left (not protected left) turn if you can stop. instead of trying to speed up and cross the line so you can be legally be in the intersection and can make your way across even if you hold up cross traffic, its common sense to stop and wait for the next light to let left turns go first to clear the intersection

What I haven’t seen considered is that this is a shared fault incident. My guess is that the insurance companies would negotiate partial liability by each driver.

I don’t think the hit-and-run component would apply to the consideration of fault. That’s usually a criminal matter for the police to pursue.

So I would recommend the Tesla driver / owner / whatever to pursue through their own insurance. Sure, they might get 50% of the responsibility but the other 50% will be the Hyundai’s.

What I haven’t seen considered is that this is a shared fault incident. My guess is that the insurance companies would negotiate partial liability by each driver.

I don’t think the hit-and-run component would apply to the consideration of fault. That’s usually a criminal matter for the police to pursue.

So I would recommend the Tesla driver / owner / whatever to pursue through their own insurance. Sure, they might get 50% of the responsibility but the other 50% will be the Hyundai’s.
Exactly, there's a risk that the Tesla owner may be responsible for the Hyundai's damage too, considering they almost ran a red light. 2/10ths of a sec, after crossing the pedestrian crosswalk, the light turned red.

Right of way is right of way. Don't go until you have the right of way. The Hyundai did not have right of way nor did they ensure it was safe to enter and complete their traffic maneuver.

In Ontario, if you're in the middle of the X intersection to queue for a left turn, you're illegally there. This is to keep the intersection clear for emergency vehicles - however, with the amount of cars on the roads... this section of the Highway Traffic Act is broken on a daily basis.

Determination of Fault in Left Hand Turn Collisions | Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Blog

upload_2019-9-16_8-25-38.png

Last edited:
heh interesting thread. imo I don't care who is legally right (tho I the hyundai seem to turn Tesla enter the intersection), the fact is driver's code... is you let those waiting to turn left (not protected left) turn if you can stop. instead of trying to speed up and cross the line so you can be legally be in the intersection and can make your way across even if you hold up cross traffic, its common sense to stop and wait for the next light to let left turns go first to clear the intersection

Very little common sense here as the privatized driving schools teach people how to pass a test instead of being good drivers. Thus the GTA has Ontario's highest insurance rates.