Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit the Carpool Lane Barrier while in AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model X. Today while driving in the carpool lane on autopilot my car suddenly jerked a little bit to the left and smashed into the barrier, ripping off the left side mirror and breaking the small window behind it. My hands were on the wheel and I was alert. Does anyone have experience with this while in autopilot? I have the footage from the dashcam and assume that Tesla can look and see that the driver assist was engaged. Not sure whether to start with insurance, the body shop or Tesla. Thanks for any input.
09D28C55-61CD-41A8-8AD4-C42F2DE45063.jpeg
6D34E582-84BA-4C3D-967A-6DC0FE797A5C.jpeg
13EE32B0-B48B-4168-82C5-82ED37A810BD.jpeg
F7542FD6-E34F-412E-AEF3-2E25B453646E.jpeg

I attached some photos.

Oo can you better explain did AP jerk the car into the concrete or did it happen slowly?

Everyone in here say it’s your fault…this is a grey area with AP, Did OP have enough time to react to AP jerking the car into concrete, if not then this is Tesla’s fault. If he had enough time then its OP fault.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 Model X. Today while driving in the carpool lane on autopilot my car suddenly jerked a little bit to the left and smashed into the barrier, ripping off the left side mirror and breaking the small window behind it. My hands were on the wheel and I was alert. Does anyone have experience with this while in autopilot? I have the footage from the dashcam and assume that Tesla can look and see that the driver assist was engaged. Not sure whether to start with insurance, the body shop or Tesla. Thanks for any input.

If your rear qtr panel is ok (it looks like there’s minor scuffs near the wheel arch) it’s just several relatively low cost items (mirror will require painting). The side wheel trims are surprisingly cheap. I recently had the rear wheel arch trim (door half) replaced for $29.50 parts+$10.50 labor via mobile service.

Attachments

• 703D7172-3C46-454E-ADAF-873726377FF2.jpeg
    703D7172-3C46-454E-ADAF-873726377FF2.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Upvote 0
Wow, sorry for the accident. If your insurance has a forgiveness policy for single accident after a long time of no accident, perhaps filing a claim would be good. If not and the repair isn't too expensive, paying out of pocket could definitely be cheaper in the long run.

Even if Tesla isn't liable for the accident, submitting the dashcam video to Tesla seems like a good idea since they would probably want to know how their system could randomly steer cars into side walls.

I find it a bit odd that some people's response to you asking for input on what to do is basically "YOUR FAULT! THAT'S ALL."
Seems purposefully dismissive and unhelpful, as if you offended them somehow.

Upvote 0
AP / FSD in this 100k car sucks. I was on the 5S in Burbank and my X suddenly wanted to hard brake for no reason. Also on the 210E by La Canada it suddenly swerve to the barrier but luckily i fought the wheel and was able to steer away. Good thing I didn't pay extra 10K for the FSD since it "came" with the car when I bought it. OP, GL and say something to Tesla, at least if it happens to any of us. They will have a record of the incident for future reference.

Reactions: croman and DrDublin
Upvote 0
Says they joined in 2019. You sure you've got your dates right? There's quite a lot of talk in the industry right now about blaming drivers when these systems make sudden bizarre movements like jerking into the path of oncoming traffic in FSD or hitting clearly visible sides of the highway on AP. This has happened multiple times, and the only response from so many of the people here is to ridicule the person and not consider how poor the software is behaving.

There's regulation coming. Just you wait. Tesla's AP behavior has a long list of these problems, and they're only making it worse. The fact they're claiming they're going to go to the FSD "vision only" software for all of AP soon is going to make this much worse very soon.
I did join in 2019, haha. Thanks for your reply! I took it to a body shop and submitted the claim to USAA and took full responsibility for the collision. I’m sure my new rate will increase exponentially in the next few months. Lesson learned, though. I will probably not use AP while in the carpool lane anymore.

Reactions: DrDabbles
Upvote 0
Wow, sorry for the accident. If your insurance has a forgiveness policy for single accident after a long time of no accident, perhaps filing a claim would be good. If not and the repair isn't too expensive, paying out of pocket could definitely be cheaper in the long run.

Even if Tesla isn't liable for the accident, submitting the dashcam video to Tesla seems like a good idea since they would probably want to know how their system could randomly steer cars into side walls.

I find it a bit odd that some people's response to you asking for input on what to do is basically "YOUR FAULT! THAT'S ALL."
Seems purposefully dismissive and unhelpful, as if you offended them somehow.
Yes, I enjoyed some of those responses. Made me laugh and reminded me about the “unique” personalities out there. Also, it’s good to know that the “quotation” key is working well on said “members” keyboards.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I’ll check the video again, it was on the 405 in Long Beach, there is a spot just south of the Cherry exit where it is extremely narrow, but I drive that freeway daily and yesterday was the first time my car didn’t read the lane, I guess.
I'd be curious if you could see if there was someone in the lane to your right that moved toward your vehicle and that caused AP to shift to the left...

Upvote 0
I did join in 2019, haha. Thanks for your reply! I took it to a body shop and submitted the claim to USAA and took full responsibility for the collision. I’m sure my new rate will increase exponentially in the next few months. Lesson learned, though. I will probably not use AP while in the carpool lane anymore.

I rarely use AP because of its random and constantly changing behavior anyway. My remaining complaint is I can't disable TACC so I have to deal with phantom braking and random speed changes if I want cruise control. Hopefully your rates don't go too crazy.

Upvote 0
Mirror will be $718. Mirror cap brings it up to about $800. Paint is $200. Depending on your deductible may not be worth it. USAA is generally very fair, but if you’ve filed a claim - make sure you find a good body shop. The initial estimates are often low in my limited experience.

Upvote 0
you should have paid out of your pocket. You're talking a $1000 issue at most and you prolly could have found a mirror painted the color of your car for $300, and the fender trim for $30 on eBay. Not only will you have wasted your accident forgiveness for such a minor claim, Carfax will report the incident and it lives forever with the car.

Upvote 0
you should have paid out of your pocket. You're talking a $1000 issue at most and you prolly could have found a mirror painted the color of your car for $300, and the fender trim for $30 on eBay. Not only will you have wasted your accident forgiveness for such a minor claim, Carfax will report the incident and it lives forever with the car.

I agree about paying out of pocket. But the ebay one you found has a hole in it and is cracked. For a perfect mirror, you'll probably pay a whole lot more than $300.00. I found ebay parts are often more than buying the part new from Tesla.

Upvote 0
I agree. I learned my lesson. Just got the car back from the body shop. It took them 50 days to repair at a cost of $15k. I went through my insurance company and now drive like an old person.
Haha. Watching some of the Youtube videos on Whambamtesla channel made me drive much carefully as well.

One thing I learned from one of the videos is that if you set the follow distance too short, AP can just crash into the car in front of you.
I used to have it set on 3-4. Now I set mine to the max distance, 7.

Upvote 0
Haha. Watching some of the Youtube videos on Whambamtesla channel made me drive much carefully as well.

One thing I learned from one of the videos is that if you set the follow distance too short, AP can just crash into the car in front of you.
I used to have it set on 3-4. Now I set mine to the max distance, 7.
I've had mine on 7 for last 3.5 years on day 1. And I find it still to close in some situations.

Upvote 0