Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch required for decent bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in this as well. I know for sedans they offer hitches that stay in place with some straps and the trunk closing, wonder if the same is offered for the Y. Would help save the $1600 CAD for the tow package, and an additional $600 for a bike rack.

There are other hitch options that are much less, even with installation. What you will not get with the aftermarket hitches is the factory towing software. I decided the software was very important to me as I plan to tow a small travel trailer or a small boat. But if I was going to only use a bike rack I would definitely go with the aftermarket hitch.

I like hitch mount bike rack. It feels more securely mounted and I don't have to lift very high vs roof mount racks. You can go with non factory hitch but it's just more convenient to order straight from the factory with all the software/harnesses.
1618589664095.png

I had a car-mount bike rack before I got the MY. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was very fiddly to install with tight panel gaps (maybe not an issue on the Y!) and you couldn't open the hatch when it was on there. And no matter how tight you made the straps, there was always some 'sway' in them. You can get a non-OEM hitch installed relatively inexpensively, is my understanding (I have the factory one) although I don't think you get Tow Mode (which disables the rear sensors).

My opinion/vote is have the hitch installed, suck up the price tag, it is way more useful then the roof rack.
I had a flat tire that Tesla sent a flat bed, they pulled it up with my hitch.
I had someone slow bump me as I was dead stopped at a light, nothing on my car, they got a cracked facia.
My bike rack can be used on my Y or the wife's Suburban, and we have other accessories all interchangeable.
The roof rack will increase wind resistance which will increase sound and reduce efficiency. I found none to very slight reduction with the bikes hanging in back.
New photo by Rob Cossin

And if you have the need to pull a trailer, you can with ease! NOTE your wh/m will go way up and range will drop, even this light trailer had a huge effect.
tYla with trailer

+1 for a hitch mounted bike rack. My personal favorite is the 1UP rack. Solid, super easy to use, sturdy, expandable.
All aluminum - No rubber to fall apart and crack over time. Not the cheapest but it's worth it!
I ordered the Tesla tow hitch when I got my new MY, for integration and potential future use (even though I don't expect to ever tow anything).
Cheers,

Reactions: Alexgd
I opted to get the factory hitch when I ordered my MY7. Love it! Wife and kiddos love it too. The hitch can carry 4, but my son's bike is small so I just toss it in the back.

Attachments

• 7821BA60-6918-4FD4-B826-6EF4265F254D.jpeg
    7821BA60-6918-4FD4-B826-6EF4265F254D.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 884E5605-C541-4E25-800A-502FD30290C4.jpeg
    884E5605-C541-4E25-800A-502FD30290C4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 698D4E13-9598-4CE2-9B94-445A108011C4.jpeg
    698D4E13-9598-4CE2-9B94-445A108011C4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90