Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding acceleration constant without cruise set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One smaller concern I have before purchasing the M3 is acceleration response. Case in point, my spouse who drives sometimes when I am in the car with her in her Audi A4 or any car, just can't seem to hold a smooth constant speed. It's not a slam but I think she just doesn't have that fine motor control in her foot to hold steady, even when not in a traffic. There is this pulsing you might say, which can over time kind of make you queasy or worse, just annoy you, ha!!. Love her to death but......

1. Do you think it is easier to hold a speed constant with the M3 vs an ICE in general or just the same?
2. Is the cruse control and distance control when engaged, similar or better than ICE cars?

Deceleration for stop signs is going to be a steep learning curve for her I fear. Thank goodness for different levels of regen. Does Tesla make airsick bags? :)

My wife drives the same way on the highway, kind of like a fidgety foot that just punches it and then relaxes...so I know what you mean and it bothers me the same way. I just got a TM3 this week and she has yet to drive it. To me the throttle responsiveness is the easiest to control and by far the best that I've ever had (linear). But with all of the Wonderful torque that this car has, I'm fearful of how much more jumpy this car will feel when she drives it.

Good luck and I'll be curious to hear about your experiences.
Stach

Reactions: patrick80132
I consider myself a very smooth driver, but I do seem to have a little more trouble maintaining a constant speed compared to my last ICE vehicle. It seems like the slightest change in touch of the accelerator pedal can change speed a few MPH. Part of that may be because of the regen braking that is essentially applying braking pressure as the pedal pressure is reduced. Perhaps changing the regen setting to low would change that response, but I haven't tried it.

Even though my speed sometimes changes it's very smooth and I don't feel it, just notice it if I look at the speedometer.

I suggest to have start off without any regen, and acceleration in chill mode, that should smooth out the edge on both acceleration and deceleration. (EV is more "puncy" that ICE)
also, while on freeways, she can get in the habit of using TACC and only controlling the steering. As TACC keeps distance, no need for her to touch the accelerator or break until in need to take an exit (speed can be controlled on steering wheel) TACC does an excellent job in maintaining distance and gaining/loosing speed, better than any other vehicle I drove/been in.

My wife drives the same way, very binary. Either on the pedal or completely off. Drives me nuts.

Was following her home on the freeway one evening and noticed that oftentimes when she lets off the brake lights come on once regen kicks in. I’m sure other freeway drivers love that.

Chill mode + regen set to low would probably help.

I suggest to have start off without any regen, and acceleration in chill mode, that should smooth out the edge on both acceleration and deceleration. (EV is more "puncy" that ICE)
also, while on freeways, she can get in the habit of using TACC and only controlling the steering. As TACC keeps distance, no need for her to touch the accelerator or break until in need to take an exit (speed can be controlled on steering wheel) TACC does an excellent job in maintaining distance and gaining/loosing speed, better than any other vehicle I drove/been in.
My wife commutes the interstate 20 miles one way to work. Commute to work is usually pretty easy, however coming back is pretty stop and go for 6 miles for sure and maybe more some days. I think if I can get her to use autopilot she is going she is going to love the car and get home less stressed out. I appreciate hearing your feedback AND knowing I am not the only one with a spouse who has a driving style like my spouse. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Vader
One smaller concern I have before purchasing the M3 is acceleration response. Case in point, my spouse who drives sometimes when I am in the car with her in her Audi A4 or any car, just can't seem to hold a smooth constant speed. It's not a slam but I think she just doesn't have that fine motor control in her foot to hold steady, even when not in a traffic. There is this pulsing you might say, which can over time kind of make you queasy or worse, just annoy you, ha!!. Love her to death but......

1. Do you think it is easier to hold a speed constant with the M3 vs an ICE in general or just the same?
2. Is the cruse control and distance control when engaged, similar or better than ICE cars?

Deceleration for stop signs is going to be a steep learning curve for her I fear. Thank goodness for different levels of regen. Does Tesla make airsick bags? :)
Put in chill mode. It'll be easier to control the speed

I also endorse chill mode for a smoother drive. With chill mode on, it's pretty easy to have a smooth drive. But as for actually maintaining a steady speed (and not drifting slowly up/down away from your target speed) without looking at the speedometer, the lack of engine noise makes this more difficult since you have no audible feedback in the form of the pitch of the engine whine.

Side note: I find AP/TACC to be annoyingly not smooth when driving in moderate traffic. (I.e., when still moving at a decent speed, but cars are packed in pretty tight and the car in front of you is limiting your speed.) IMO it over-responds to slight changes in the lead vehicle's distance / speed with fairly jerky throttle responses. So much so that I usually disengage AP/TACC in these situations.
I think Tesla could/should do a lot to improve this behavior and smooth out the AP/TACC throttle adjustments.

I have a hybrid and a Model 3. Every time I go from the hybrid to the 3 it takes some miles to get used to the accelerator/brake pedal. If my wife is with me, she complains about the jerky ride. That said, there's no way I'm switching to chill mode. I enjoy the acceleration too much. My solution is to avoid the hybrid.

I just wish that TACC wouldn't try to mimic people that drive like that.
I have a feeling that turning on chill mode will just cause the driver to increase the amplitude of their "pulsing". Some people just like driving that way. I don't think driving a Tesla will make it any better or worse but at least it's more efficient in an EV.

P.S. I'd like to remind everyone that you can ignore trolls by clicking on their profile and clicking ignore.

Reactions: Big Earl

I know a couple of people who drive like this. It's annoying as *sugar*. I find that chill mode helps keep others from getting sick when riding with them.