Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update popped in this morning, fastest download in recent history

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same! really like the media control's new location. looking forward to the auto turn signals for lane changes and love the idea of changing fan speed while remaining in auto climate

Am i the only one who taps the stalk when doing a lane change? It gives you 3 flashes or so then turns off.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting more because this update is severely underwhelming.

Apple music - meh won't use it
Steam update and borough controllers - kinda cool, but not for the Y (plus USB already serves that purpose for me)
Auto signals - not bad, but kind of exists already.
MyQ - Already have homelink
Schedule light show - likely use once to see. But overall worthless
Updates to UI - this is probably good though
Interior camera view - hard pass.

I just feel like last year's was better

Am i the only one who taps the stalk when doing a lane change? It gives you 3 flashes or so then turns off.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting more because this update is severely underwhelming.

Apple music - meh won't use it
Steam update and borough controllers - kinda cool, but not for the Y (plus USB already serves that purpose for me)
Auto signals - not bad, but kind of exists already.
MyQ - Already have homelink
Schedule light show - likely use once to see. But overall worthless
Updates to UI - this is probably good though
Interior camera view - hard pass.

I just feel like last year's was better
My take on a few items you didn't mention (or considered not-worth-it), and one or two not-too-obvious enhancements:
  • interior camera view from Sentry mode, even without using dog mode (advertised only as a Dog Mode enhancement for some reason) - it's a 5th camera dot you can press. Not sure why you think this is a hard-pass, but... for the first time ever, I had my sentry alarm triggered yesterday, while shopping. Turns out, I parked in a "bouncy" area where various concrete slabs come together, resulting in my alarm being triggered when a large SUV cruised past my car) but it was pretty nice to check both inside and outside, from the middle of the mall, as soon as I got the alarm signal.
  • selectable trips in the odometer "card". They re-added the lower-left swipe-able card to the screen. You can have your music controls there, but when you swipe, it shows the odometer, along with your current trip (and since last charge). Go to the Trips panel, and you can add additional trips (this little bonus feature doesn't seem to be documented anywhere)- I added my "lifetime" trip, just for fun, to see my overall wh/mi stats
  • the signal enhancement works well, especially with things like exits, where you might have your signal on for an extended period. I tested it out yesterday - works great (even though, admittedly, I'm more of a half-stalk-presser, as you are)
  • Zoom meetings: If you use zoom, this could be pretty nice. Note that it switches to audio-only if you move out of Park
  • Fan speed low/medium/high: this is a MOST-WELCOME ADDITION! Try adjusting the fan-speed slider with any accuracy whatsoever while your car is in motion, on a not-perfectly-smooth road. The low/med/high button-push areas are super easy to press now.
  • Call transfer confirmation: this one is appreciated if you've ever been on a call that gets inadvertently connected to your phone, but you didn't want your car-mates hearing the conversation on the other end (e.g. discussing holiday gifts with a family member, as they're telling you what they just ordered). A subtle, small change, but a nice one.

How does apple music sound?
I think it's on par with built-in Spotify, and I suspect (though I don't know for sure) it's bandwidth-limited. I have both Spotify and Apple Music, and I have them both set to max quality / lossless on my phone app. I only had about an hour to try it out yesterday, but my ears are telling me the quality is better via the phone vs the built-in app (though the UX is far more convenient on the Big Screen, and with material such as podcasts, you'll probably never notice a quality difference). That said: it was trivial to set up Apple Music: aim phone at QR Code, accept access authorization, and done.

I think it's on par with built-in Spotify, and I suspect (though I don't know for sure) it's bandwidth-limited. I have both Spotify and Apple Music, and I have them both set to max quality / lossless on my phone app. I only had about an hour to try it out yesterday, but my ears are telling me the quality is better via the phone vs the built-in app (though the UX is far more convenient on the Big Screen, and with material such as podcasts, you'll probably never notice a quality difference). That said: it was trivial to set up Apple Music: aim phone at QR Code, accept access authorization, and done.
Could that mean the streaming bandwidth is not as good as Bluetooth? That would be a bummer!

For someone who also loves the audio quality of mp4 via usb… I hope I’m not going to be disappointed!

My take on a few items you didn't mention (or considered not-worth-it), and one or two not-too-obvious enhancements:
  • interior camera view from Sentry mode, even without using dog mode (advertised only as a Dog Mode enhancement for some reason) - it's a 5th camera dot you can press. Not sure why you think this is a hard-pass, but... for the first time ever, I had my sentry alarm triggered yesterday, while shopping. Turns out, I parked in a "bouncy" area where various concrete slabs come together, resulting in my alarm being triggered when a large SUV cruised past my car) but it was pretty nice to check both inside and outside, from the middle of the mall, as soon as I got the alarm signal.
  • selectable trips in the odometer "card". They re-added the lower-left swipe-able card to the screen. You can have your music controls there, but when you swipe, it shows the odometer, along with your current trip (and since last charge). Go to the Trips panel, and you can add additional trips (this little bonus feature doesn't seem to be documented anywhere)- I added my "lifetime" trip, just for fun, to see my overall wh/mi stats
  • the signal enhancement works well, especially with things like exits, where you might have your signal on for an extended period. I tested it out yesterday - works great (even though, admittedly, I'm more of a half-stalk-presser, as you are)
  • Zoom meetings: If you use zoom, this could be pretty nice. Note that it switches to audio-only if you move out of Park
  • Fan speed low/medium/high: this is a MOST-WELCOME ADDITION! Try adjusting the fan-speed slider with any accuracy whatsoever while your car is in motion, on a not-perfectly-smooth road. The low/med/high button-push areas are super easy to press now.
  • Call transfer confirmation: this one is appreciated if you've ever been on a call that gets inadvertently connected to your phone, but you didn't want your car-mates hearing the conversation on the other end (e.g. discussing holiday gifts with a family member, as they're telling you what they just ordered). A subtle, small change, but a nice one.

Hard pass on the interior camera is from the tinfoil hat im wearing that doesn't like the idea of accessing interior cameras through the internet.

Many of the other things are stuff I personally don't care about. I'm sure Apple music is a great edition if you use it.

I leave everything except high beams on auto so I never mess with the fan, but I'm sure the people that do probably enjoy the update.

Last year when they added light show it was pretty neat, you could make custom ones and share them. But the real cool addition was the camera repeaters when you use the blinkers. Customizable app launcher...

Just seemed like useful driving stuff (ok, maybe not light show).

But we all have our own likes and dislikes. I'm just not extremely excited with this one.

How do you get to the audio EQ settings now? Anybody figured it out or am I just being dumb and not seeing the icons anymore?

For the update, I appreciate the myQ since I already have one at home. Going to try it out at least for the 30 days free. Otherwise, not anything that just blows my skirt up. We use Spotify and I pretty much don't touch the climate controls except temp. But as usual YMMV.