Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy moly! NonP AWD is fast!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven all 3 versions as well (rented RWD for a day and drove around 250 miles on it, put around 120 miles on my AWD this weekend and test drove the Performance with maybe 7-10 miles total driving). RWD experience pushed me to AWD since it felt sluggish in the acceleration - the lower end 0-30 felt slow. I don’t notice any lag or sluggishness with the AWD at all. I was expecting to be disappointed given the mixed reports on TMC (some say feels like RWD and others say it’s way faster). Lucky for me mine felt like the latter. Now I do wonder if there is some variation in the AWD output where some examples are slower than others.

If I didn’t know I had the standard dual motor, I could easily have been convinced they gave me a P.

Sounds like everyone has a different butt dyno, which could explain the varied perspectives on speed.
It would make more sense that this is a perspective difference, rather than each AWD car has different results.

That being said, once more folks get their AWD cars, and a few more official dyno’s are done, I guess we will all know soon enough.

These AWD cars are starting to populate the wild now for sure.
:)

Remember, this is TMC where everything above 4 seconds 0 to 60 is essentially a soccer mum van.
When the new Roadster comes out there'll be people posting about how "sluggish" the M3P feels. I can just see it now.

"OMG, I can't believe how sluggish my Model 3 Performance feels compared to my new Roadster. I own an X, an S, a two Model 3 P's and there is just no comparison. I had 480v service run to my house just so I wouldn't have to wait so long to charge my cars."

;)

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
When the new Roadster comes out they'll be people posting about how "slow" the M3P feels. I can just see it now.
"OMG, I can't believe how slow sluggish my Model 3 Performance feels compared to my Roadster. I own an X, an 2, a two Model 3 P and there is just no comparison. I had 480v service run to my house just so I wouldn't have to wait so long to charge my cars."

;)
Now you're getting it!

:D

Reactions: StellarRat
I almost wonder if I should have gone for AWD instead of P.... I constantly find myself battling the power... In my i3 I would gun it everywhere and push it hard everywhere; which was fast enough to handily smoke other cars at the stoplights, but it didn't feel like I was being obscene about it. If I actually floor it in the P3D; it would be such a ridiculously hardcore thrashing that I find myself constantly holding back from looking absolutely insane to other drivers.... Maybe I should just enable chill mode to tone things down unless I really want to do a proper launch???? Anyone else feeling this way?

• Funny
Reactions: Big1matt
I’ve driven all 3 versions as well (rented RWD for a day and drove around 250 miles on it, put around 120 miles on my AWD this weekend and test drove the Performance with maybe 7-10 miles total driving). RWD experience pushed me to AWD since it felt sluggish in the acceleration - the lower end 0-30 felt slow. I don’t notice any lag or sluggishness with the AWD at all. I was expecting to be disappointed given the mixed reports on TMC (some say feels like RWD and others say it’s way faster). Lucky for me mine felt like the latter. Now I do wonder if there is some variation in the AWD output where some examples are slower than others.

If I didn’t know I had the standard dual motor, I could easily have been convinced they gave me a P.
Based on the specs this is to be expected, i.e. RWD < AWD < PAWD. But another factor would be SoC. The best comparison would be with each being at about the same level. The same car would be more sluggish with a low SoC vs.at a high SoC.

I almost wonder if I should have gone for AWD instead of P.... I constantly find myself battling the power... In my i3 I would gun it everywhere and push it hard everywhere; which was fast enough to handily smoke other cars at the stoplights, but it didn't feel like I was being obscene about it. If I actually floor it in the P3D; it would be such a ridiculously hardcore thrashing that I find myself constantly holding back from looking absolutely insane to other drivers.... Maybe I should just enable chill mode to tone things down unless I really want to do a proper launch???? Anyone else feeling this way?
Maybe if you wear a helmet with "Maverick" written on the side and an oxygen mask the other drivers won't think you're insane.

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Would call for your castration but I have a Model X, a Caravan and a Volt that is all slower than 4.5. Though I drive them all of them like *sugar*. :D
No kidding, my punk-butt Bolt blows your Volt doors off. No wonder the bullies come out of the woodwork on that. ;)

P.S. The Bolt is kinda funny that way. Driving it in the nearby college town I had a mid-age Camero V6 try to get uppity on me. Shut that nonsense down with a [rare for me] flip of the Sport switch and a quick burst. Then he was all calm and polite for the next several lights headed out of town, that must have hurt his pride something fierce with a little spit of a car doing that. :p

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
No kidding, my punk-butt Bolt blows your Volt doors off. No wonder the bullies come out of the woodwork on that. ;)

P.S. The Bolt is kinda funny that way. Driving it in the nearby college town I had a mid-age Camero V6 try to get uppity on me. Shut that nonsense down with a [rare for me] flip of the Sport switch and a quick burst. Then he was all calm and polite for the next several lights headed out of town, that must have hurt his pride something fierce with a little spit of a car doing that. :p
A six cylinder Camero isn't worthy of the name.

Let's be honest here people: How many times have any of you have ACTUALLY NEEDED full power in any version of the Model 3 recently? Be honest. The only times that I can think of are: Passing where there is little space (foolish to begin with), an emergency to escape an accident, or freeway merging in tight traffic. In my Leaf the only time I used full power was freeway merging with a lot of traffic and that was rare. With any Tesla I just don't see where you would need the power unless it was just for pure fun. I've never punched my 3 RWD LR for any legit driving reason.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61 and voip-ninja

Here’s a bit of trivia. A Volt beats a RWD Model S 0-30 in mountain mode. It’s where you engage both the gas and electric engine all at once. Not practical but fun to run from time to time.

I only saw one car that could have been a match for the Model 3. Owner was not interested. ZL1 Corvette is no joke at all.

Reactions: ℬête Noire