Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the wallbox pulsar (tethered) - no issues with it whatsoever, and have managed to cover 5600 miles since the end of March. Obviously some of the charging was superchargers and free ionity at Peterborough services.
So now a few months down the line, are you fairly happy with the Wallbox?

I've just trying to decide between the Wallbox and the Ohme (preferring the Wallbox simply on the looks). Will be going to Octopus Go tariff which can be used with either.

• choice from what I read.
  • EO Mini Pro : nice small unit so would have given me plenty of mounting options but again limited option for cable length if going tethered. Also needed access to home network.

In my case after the installer did their bit, he left with me to install the app and pair to my home network on my own. I could have just not done that, no one checked. But I can factory reset it anytime.

If you do not have a home network nearby or they insist, just spin up a hotspot on your phone (even call it HomeWifi if you want) and when they gone disconnect it.

As for the EO smart app, it's not that good but there is another thread on that subject.

If you have or anticipate getting solar panels, go with Zappi
Yup . My thoughts exactly. I got Zappi on Friday to go with my solar panels and a Model 3 delivered on Saturday and now I have a solar powered car!

Attachments

• 765409BB-80A6-477E-8F1E-741391A6149A.jpeg
    765409BB-80A6-477E-8F1E-741391A6149A.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: browellm and Cardo
So now a few months down the line, are you fairly happy with the Wallbox?

I've just trying to decide between the Wallbox and the Ohme (preferring the Wallbox simply on the looks). Will be going to Octopus Go tariff which can be used with either.
I had the Ohme but in the end had it replaced with a Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

I had three problems with the Ohme installation - two were concerning the earthing 'solution' creating a problem, the 3rd was the Ohme box itself. The upshot was that the installer replaced it without any fuss and suggested the Wallbox as a more reliable solution, which it has proven to be so far.

I plan on going for a Zappi even though I don’t have solar. Is it a bit of overkill? I like the idea it doesn’t need an earth rod etc because it’s all built in.
It's still a great smart charger.

For instance, if you have Octopus Agile you can set a budget charge planner via a web browser - set a max price you are prepared to pay & the Zappi will boost the car at 7kWh for any half hour or longer periods at or below that cost.

Reactions: Dommmm
It's still a great smart charger.

For instance, if you have Octopus Agile you can set a budget charge planner via a web browser - set a max price you are prepared to pay & the Zappi will boost the car at 7kWh for any half hour or longer periods at or below that cost.
Thanks. So it will link to Agile of sorts then and know the lowest rates? I was thinking of switching to Ohme for this very reason.

Thanks. So it will link to Agile of sorts then and know the lowest rates? I was thinking of switching to Ohme for this very reason.
Yes, worked for me from the time Myenergi first launched the beta until I switched to Go Faster (including negative purge nights where the Zappi ensured I only paid 0p/kWh or less. You can set and adjust the trigger cost as many times as you like so on other occasions I chose a max at 5p or 6p/kWh)

I also happen to like the friendly customer focused way that Myenergi work - tech support has been superb & also the fact that they were a small UK startup.

Yes, worked for me from the time Myenergi first launched the beta until I switched to Go Faster (including negative purge nights where the Zappi ensured I only paid 0p/kWh or less. You can set and adjust the trigger cost as many times as you like so on other occasions I chose a max at 5p or 6p/kWh)

I also happen to like the friendly customer focused way that Myenergi work - tech support has been superb & also the fact that they were a small UK startup.
Thanks, so to set the budget you have to use a web browser. That’s a bit of a downer you can’t do it via the app though.

Thanks, so to set the budget you have to use a web browser. That’s a bit of a downer you can’t do it via the app though.
I'm told that it's coming to the app in the future.

Wasn't an issue for me as for a long time I set it at 5p & only changed to 0p after a few weeks, then back to 5p - three changes in a 3-4 month period. The rest of the time I used the app to set regular timed charges or relied on the sun to decide when the car will be charged (ie today, once our house batteries had filled it's switched on & off at will based on clouds or whether priority has gone to other appliances until the car was charged up by 4.15)

I'm told that it's coming to the app in the future.

Wasn't an issue for me as for a long time I set it at 5p & only changed to 0p after a few weeks, then back to 5p - three changes in a 3-4 month period. The rest of the time I used the app to set regular timed charges or relied on the sun to decide when the car will be charged (ie today, once our house batteries had filled it's switched on & off at will based on clouds or whether priority has gone to other appliances until the car was charged up by 4.15)
Thanks for the info. I am still torn between this and the Ohme. The Ohme is a fair bit cheaper and they seem to do the same things apart from the solar. Plus is a lot smaller and less plastic looking.

So what is the standard offering cable wise now on a new M3 from Tesla - is there a requirement to purchase any additional cables before you receive delivery?
Thanks
The standard cables you get from Tesla with an M3 is granny UMC cable to a 3 pin plug and a standard type 2 cable, unless you're planning to use the granny cable and need it longer you may need to get an extension lead if not you'rte good to go - although do check you have both cables before leaving the SC on collection day as sometimes they can be forgotten about.