Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So seems like the available options are as follows (If I've understood correctly):

Tesla supplied charger to socket
Tesla supplied charger to 16A commando
Tesla supplied charger to 32A commando
Dedicated 7kw wall charger

Are any of you using extensions with the Tesla charger or commando setups? 3m wont unfortunately be enough in my case.

So seems like the available options are as follows (If I've understood correctly):

Are any of you using extensions with the Tesla charger or commando setups? 3m wont unfortunately be enough in my case.
Many people say that they use Tough Leads - Electric vehicle leads

No personal experience…

Reactions: Shamone

speed wise you will get the following in actual charging to the battery:

Tesla supplied charger to socket - 2kw
Tesla supplied charger to 16A commando - 3.4kw
Tesla supplied charger to 32A commando - 7.1kw
Dedicated 7kw wall charger - 7.1kw

Thanks, will take a look (do you have a link?), some background, my garage conversion has 40A supply and fuse at mini consumer unit, 4 slots, 1 slot is 16A for sockets that in reality pull way less as only a fridge and freezer connected, 2 is 6A for lights which barely get turned on, 3 is 20A aircon which is being removed and 4 is free slot.
You could stick a 16 amp commando on the Aircon circuit without a problem as it would pull less than the existing load. I don't think am installer would want to put a full blown wall charger onto the existing 40amp supply to the garage so they're likely to want to put a new connection to the main consumer unit in. I might be wrong.

If installing a 32amp commando I think it comes with similar requirements (technically) to a EV charger in that you'll need a special RCD etc to comply with building regs. Again, I might technically be wrong there but that seems to be the suggestion and put me off as adds more cost and likely needs professional installation etc.

From what you describe it sounds like a 16amp commando might be sufficient. I've never missed a higher rated charger and saved myself £1k+ by going that route, but everyone's situation is different.

Many people say that they use Tough Leads - Electric vehicle leads

No personal experience…
I have a tough leads 15m cable but only with a 3 pin or European plug. It's been great for travel where they just have 'normal' outlets. I think you can also get a 16amp rated extension from them but you'd need to check. They are fairly clear about what they recommend on their website.

1st 3 are going to need the UMC ... so if you might need it on a journey you'll have to disconnect it and take it with you (which will at times be wet / miserable if your Commando socket is outdoors). Creates wear-and-tare on the UMC too of course. If your wall charger breaks you still have the UMC. If all you have is the UMC then there is no backup

I used to say "You might need the UMC in the car for an emergency" but I can't remember having an unplanned need for UMC in around 200K miles of EV driving.

But ... my UMC is in the car, and I'm not going to forget to take it on a trip to friend/relies for the weekend - most people don't have a memory like a colander like mine though :)

The requirements for 32AMP / 7kW Commando (for charging an EV ... and that includes a socket in the garage where the cable could reasonably be expected to reach outside) make the cost much the same as a wall charger

Definitely true though that a low mileage driver doesn't need 7KW. If you come home "empty" then provided you aren't going anywhere long distance the very next day then you can just take 2+ nights Off peak to refill the battery. From 0% to 100% @ 7kW is 10-hours, ish, so even a 7kW wall charger can need a couple of nights to replenish when you come home empty. Its a bit squeaky-bum to arrive home at 0% :) so that will be rare, and recommended daily charge is 80%...90%, so 4 hours off peak is going to add 40% (110-120 miles) to a Long Range. If you routinely do 200 miles in a day, particularly if back-to-back, then consider a longer overnight tariff - something more like the old Ecconomy-7 tariff.

If you routinely do 100 miles back-to-back then you'd be better off with 7kW charging.

Wall charger is most convenient IMO. Yup, its £1,000-ish ... but if you are going to be in the house for a while (or you think it adds some saleability to the property) everyone with a drive is going to want at least one wall charger before very long. Your car, other household members ... visitors!!

Are you likely to have a second EV on your driveway in the future? You could put in the extra cable for that at the same time maybe.

Tesla wall charger has a button to release the wand, I find that convenient (otherwise need to open the APP, or reach in and fiddle on the dash, or similar ... or a Siri command if that's your thing) (Model-S has a button inside the charger-flap to release the Wand. No idea why M3/MY haven't got that ... sorry!)

I also have a Zappi, which will indeed "spill" excess PV to the car, but having installed it I don't use it in that way. I have, instead, set up Home Automation to control charging the car when there is excess PV, and thus "any old dumb charger" will do.

With benefit of hindsight I personally think that a dumb charger is best. Its always on (as soon as you plug in) so I can then just tell the car to charge when I want it to (e..g from my APP an hour before we leave - and put the climate on (using Mains rather than Battery(**)). I have a schedule set up for overnight off peak. Sometimes I come home and want to charge "now" (e.g. going out again (rare) or (more likely) coming home very low and don't want to leave the battery that low until "Overnight" schedule). With the car set for an overnight scheduled charging period it won't start charging when you come home and plug in (it remembers the schedule for that location), you do have to override (dashboard or APP) for that, so "Come home, plug in" will mean that by default it will for the overnight scheduled time to start.

A mate visiting can just plug in and start charging - whereas a smart charger (ie.. scheduled to only providing power during Off Peak) needs fiddling with the APP whenever you want to override it.

(**) if you overnight rate is dirt cheap, and you are not going far, it would be cheaper to use the Battery rather than peak-rate mains ...

Tesla wall charger has a button to release the wand, I find that convenient (otherwise need to open the APP, or reach in and fiddle on the dash, or similar ... or a Siri command if that's your thing) (Model-S has a button inside the charger-flap to release the Wand. No idea why M3/MY haven't got that ... sorry!)
The UMC works in the same way with a button on the wand to open the charge port and release when finished.

Very informative!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond in such detail, much appreciated, this discussion has really helped with my understanding of Tesla charging, I think I will likely go for a wall charger due to the speed and convenience of not using extensions, real negative being obviously the cost.

Had my car been closer to the garage I probably would've gone with the 16A commando and Tesla supplied charger which could have remained in the garage out of poor weather with the cable coming out the building, its quite impressive that there are so many great options when using the included charger.

real negative being obviously the cost.

A properly installed commando socket installed to the correct regulations and properly registered with NICEIC etc or building control wrt DC and O-PEN protection devices will not come in that much cheaper than a professionally installed device either with this protection built in and/or externally fitted.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond in such detail, much appreciated, this discussion has really helped with my understanding of Tesla charging, I think I will likely go for a wall charger due to the speed and convenience of not using extensions, real negative being obviously the cost.

Had my car been closer to the garage I probably would've gone with the 16A commando and Tesla supplied charger which could have remained in the garage out of poor weather with the cable coming out the building, its quite impressive that there are so many great options when using the included charger.
One other suggestion which is that if you choose to go for an untethered charger, buy an additional type 2 cable for whatever length but single phase. This is likely to be the default but then keep the original Tesla one in the car as the supplied type 2 cable (assuming that they are still including that?) will be three phase.
It's a bit bulkier but if you do happen to use it when out and about (or more likely in Europe and you WILL want to roadtrip in Europe in a Tesla ;) ) then you'll be able to avail yourself of 11kWh charging.

One other suggestion which is that if you choose to go for an untethered charger, buy an additional type 2 cable for whatever length but single phase. This is likely to be the default but then keep the original Tesla one in the car as the supplied type 2 cable (assuming that they are still including that?) will be three phase.
It's a bit bulkier but if you do happen to use it when out and about (or more likely in Europe and you WILL want to roadtrip in Europe in a Tesla ;) ) then you'll be able to avail yourself of 11kWh charging.
I thought its possible to use the Tesla charger and cable in EU with a commando or '2 pin'?

Also be aware that though Tesla supply you with a 3 phase Type 2 cable not all (identical looking) Type 2 cables support 3 phase. This means that if you buy one or borrow one it’s worth checking. At least when I last looked one of the best value sources of 3 phase Type 2 cable was the Tesla store.
Thanks, another great tip

Also be aware that though Tesla supply you with a 3 phase Type 2 cable not all (identical looking) Type 2 cables support 3 phase. This means that if you buy one or borrow one it’s worth checking. At least when I last looked one of the best value sources of 3 phase Type 2 cable was the Tesla store.
Yep, I was surprised to find the supplied one was three phase. That's why I suggested keeping that one in the car and buying a single phase one to leave at home. Slightly lighter too.

Seems to be more talk about cables here than charge points.

Fundamentally there is little to choose between any of them, recent UK rule changes mean they all must have a pretty similar degree of smart control for timing and reporting.

Several brands allow solar divert, adjusting the power sent to the car based on measuring how much is being exported to the grid. With current export prices being more than overnight rates it doesn't make financial sense to do this, and your solar array needs to be pretty big to consistently generate the 1,6kW which is the minimum the car will accept. However prices can change, and its nice to be able to drive on your own sunshine. Zappi are perhaps most popular, Hypervolt maybe next. EO do it

Of all the others, very rarely hear much negative anymore. They all work. Maybe PodPoint might not have the best after sales support, and Rolec had so many reliability issues with their earliest model that many people steer clear, although I bet the new one is fine.

From my personal experience I would buy one again with a screen and buttons that can control everything, apps are great while the company still provides it, but if they go bust you might end up without control. My first gen EO Mini Pro has had issues at times as they outsourced the software to a company that isnt that interested in maintaining the platform.

Ohme Pro sounds fine to me.