Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging confusion

Which would you recommend?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you already have a 50A circuit for charging your upcoming AWD LR Model 3, a Corded Mobile Connector wouldn't require any additional electrical work if you want to go from about 32mrph to 37mrph on that 50A circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet to use. But think you weren't sure if your ChargePoint was plugged into one or if it was hardwired, so that would be something to figure out. If hardwired in, I don't think it would be a big deal (time and $s) at all to remove it and connect the existing wiring to a new outlet since the wiring is already run.

If you want to charge even faster at apx 44mrph with a HPWC, you'd need to at least upgrade your wiring and circuit breaker to 60A which you said you know.

Does your daily driving nearly deplete your range in your car every day or are you just going to be topping off to your desired range every night or when you want and need to?
The ChargePoint plugs in, and I'm fairly sure that it's a 14-50 plug and outlet. I'm quite sure that the 32 amp ChargePoint will be more than adequate for my usage, but I'm still a geek despite my age, so I'm often looking for the next big thing. Frankly, from a financial standpoint, my best option would be to buy my PHEV when the lease expires, but I want a Tesla.

Reactions: 1.21GW
not true. You CANNOT run a 60A breaker on a Nema 14-50. Also, corded mobile connector is good for 40A, not 48A

Good catch, typo on my part, thanks for calling it to my attention. What I had intended to type was: “A NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit and using Tesla's 14-50 Corded Mobile Connector will also take advantage of the 48A AWD Model 3’s onboard charger.” OP said she already had a 50A circuit. This is what we have and while you can’t get the same mrph of a HPWC on a 60A circuit, it’s still better/faster than a L2 or the Gen 2 Mobile Connector.

Reactions: 1.21GW
I'm not asking what a NEMA 14-50 is. I'm asking what chargers have a NEMA 14-50 plug.
You typically use the mobile connector with a 14-50. The charger is actually in the car when charging on any type of A/C (This is true for every electric car). The equipment you get from Clipper Creek, Tesla, and ChargePoint, etc. are usually hard wired. In some cases they do have a plug rather than being hard wired. Usually that plug is a 14-50.

It suggested that you have not clarified to yourself your own questions or priorities. The only thing you have made clear is that you should be ignored.
Your inability to understand implied priorities and your focusing on trivialities is not my problem. Or is it that you just like to be obnoxious? So please put me in your kill file; I can't see anything worthwhile ever coming from your keyboard,

You typically use the mobile connector with a 14-50. The charger is actually in the car when charging on any type of A/C (This is true for every electric car). The equipment you get from Clipper Creek, Tesla, and ChargePoint, etc. are usually hard wired. In some cases they do have a plug rather than being hard wired. Usually that plug is a 14-50.
Ok, so let me simplify my questions.
Does the Corded Mobile Connector have a 14-50 plug?
Does the charger that comes with the car have a 14-50 plug?
I think those are the only two chargers with plugs that Tesla currently offers.

Ok, so let me simplify my questions.
Does the Corded Mobile Connector have a 14-50 plug?
Does the charger that comes with the car have a 14-50 plug?
I think those are the only two chargers with plugs that Tesla currently offers.
1. The Gen 1 mobile connector did standard, the Gen 2 is a $35 option from the Tesla store (along with many other plug types, each $35).
2. The charger that comes with the car is internal (you can't see it) and is accessed through the charge port.

1. I mean the current Corded Mobile Connector; does it have a NENA 14-50 connector?
2. I mean the charging cable that comes with the car. Why are you being so pedantic instead of answering the question?
The corded mobile connector is what comes with the car. They are not two different things. The mobile connector needs the 14-50 end which you can purchase from the Tesla store.

It doesn’t come with the corded mobile connector. It comes with the gen 2 mobile connector bundle. Unless something has changed in the last few months.
Correct. The gen 1 came on the older cars. The gen 2 comes on the newer cars. I see in the shop that they have changed it since the last time I looked (when it showed the gen 1 connector a couple of months ago). Sorry about the confusion. The description also plainly says that it comes with 14-50. And it appears that you only get the 14-50 which is now molded into the cable.

Thank you. I assume that the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle comes with a 5-15 adaptor.

Did you click on the links people have been providing to the products? It says so there.

“Description
The Gen 2 Mobile Connector allows you to plug into any standard 110v household outlet to begin charging.
This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle.
Compatible with Model S, Model 3, Model X and Model Y.

Includes:
1 x Mobile Connector Main Unit (with 20’ cable)
1 x NEMA 5-15 adapter
1 x storage bag”

The links have also provided a photo for you to see so you can see the type of connector.

People here are generally very friendly and do reach out to help newbies. We were all there once. Where you might have assumed someone was giving you a hard time in a few instances, I think they were trying to be helpful and maybe correcting terminology, something you’ll pick up as you get into ownership. ie. “Charger” is the component inside the car where as EVSE is the product that connects electrical to the car for charging (ChargePoint, Tesla Wall Charger).

Good luck with your new car. I have the same version and just love driving it.