Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6. Will DNOs refuse the installation of an EV charge point or Heat Pump?
No, DNOs are obliged to facilitate the installation/connection of new loads to the power network, as part of their license condition.

Do the last applications get refused because others got in first? Would the same apply to Solar and the DNOs say sorry but there's too much on your street already? I couldimagine the upgrade taking years if required so you'd be stuck with a 2.1kW charge from a 3 pin plug...

My concern is if Powernetworks can pin some cost on us for some fictitious upgrade requirements for sub station infrastructure that they are yet to get round to upgrading themselves. This mob have lots of previous for this behaviour.

Leicester here! *Bumps Fist* :)

I'm keeping my ear out for the Supercharger at Leicester Forest East to happen, if it does! (Ecotricity there also).

Leicester also lacks in infrastructure so home charge for me over the pavement and at work but will use the following if needed:
Also free charging at Highcross Rooftop car park (Polar Network app needed)

Castle Donnington services junction 23a (Ecotricity)
Leicester Forest East services (North & South) Ecotricity

It's been saying coming soon for about 3 years now, maybe more! I also note that as well as LFE services in now also states Leicester plus Tamworth which could also work for me.

Reactions: davidmc
Thanks @Markblox

7. How long will it take for remedial works to be completed?
This will vary depending on the nature of the intervention required to deliver an adequate supply to the property being assessed. Each connection is different, so the premises and network must be assessed before providing an estimated time of delivery.

I've seen FUD about blackouts due to EVs in the press..

My concern is if Powernetworks can pin some cost on us

Quoting ENA:

Distribution Charges Overview
Everyone’s electricity bill contains an element of charge to cover electricity distribution costs. Typically this distribution charge accounts for about 15% of the overall electricity bill.

--

So DNO should pick up costs (from all consumer bills) for ongoing capacity upgrades.

My concern is if Powernetworks can pin some cost on us for some fictitious upgrade requirements for sub station infrastructure that they are yet to get round to upgrading themselves. This mob have lots of previous for this behaviour.
Yes, this has happened if you want a greater than 4KWp solar installation for instance, but they can't impose a cost on a standard sized PV system and if you read the link it would appear they can't impose a cost for this either as it is a responsibility linked to their licence. It's not really a mob, they do have to work under the regulations to comply with their licence.
The info is in the link!

But not a stop time so you would need to set a target SoC if you, for example, wanted to do charging within your cheap off-peak period at night.
I still think Tesla should add the option for a stop time. It should be easy enough for them to do.

Both my old Leaf and the Kona have timer options including start and stop times.

I’m moving on to Octopus GO, which has a four hour off-peak window, so I’m going to have to fiddle about with the SOC limit each night to ensure I stay within that period.

Reactions: vitesse
I still think Tesla should add the option for a stop time. It should be easy enough for them to do.

Both my old Leaf and the Kona have timer options including start and stop times.

I’m moving on to Octopus GO, which has a four hour off-peak window, so I’m going to have to fiddle about with the SOC limit each night to ensure I stay within that period.
Octopus have an offer on, £199 i think (not sure if its still going tho!) for a charge cable that works with their tariff Products - Ohme

This turns on and off at times to give you cheap charge rates with Octopus and has an App that you can use with it.

I had a look at Ohme online the store didn't list the prices of the products.

Fully Charged Regen Podcast interview with Fiona Howarth from Octopus Energy

Ohme (Plunge Pricing - get paid to charge on their Agile dynamic tariff, fits existing chargers)

before that Zappi gets a mention

Octopus have an open API for geeks :)

So I checked with a few electricians and they all seem to agree it’s challenging without a driveway (or rather, with a driveway not attached to your house ). Guess I might have to wait until I move out of my “starter home”. Time to investigate and see if I can rely on supercharger alone - I was thinking that with the new model 3s out the supercharging stations may be busier but may not necessarily he the case