Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they give any reason why they didn't want you to install one? I can't get my head around it - it's a no brainer for the landlord.

I've been trying to think of this from the landlord's perspective. I only really got as far as being sued for someone tripping over the cable. However, if the electrician turns up and then condemns any part of the wiring then maybe that's notifiable and there might be a big bill to the landlord to put it right?

Reactions: m3gt2
I do worry what the insurance cost could be like for that - seems bad enough for jobs that don't involve too much driving!

I really don't think it's too bad. For the Performance with me (40), wife (33) and FIL (65) fully comp, public liability, protected NCB, 100k miles PA and £500 excess in total the premium was £1700. Would be a little less on my fleet policy but they don't currently insure any Tesla. On the fleet it would have covered and driver between 30-75 and unlimited miles. Not cheap but when you calculate per mile I don't think I can complain.

Well I'm shocked an disappointed to say that my landlord has declined permission to install a charger so it looks like I won't be ordering a M3P unfortunately. My only other option is asking my in laws if I could fit a charger at their house but this is over a mile away and I really don't know if it would be worth the additional stress and time dropping the Tesla off to charge it every day :(
WAHT! What reason could they possibly have? Are you offering to pay for it? It will increase the desirability of the property! Don't give up! Ask again, then again and don't stop!

EDIT: Also, consider stealth or if not possible an easily removable installation (on a post or something). As long as it's safe and out of sight, they may never find out. If they do, what's the worse that could happen? After all, you'll be paying the electricity bill. Write them a letter.

Last edited:
I thought my home charge installation experience might be Interesting and helpful to some members. Also, I have been left wondering about something someone may be able to shed some light on. Namely, should I have had a 2-way sub-board?

I used Powered Solutions Ltd who are recommended via ROLEC and both approved by OLEV.

The total cost was £488 after the OLEV £500 rebate.

This included VAT, a 2-way sub-board and an extra 5 meters of cable over and above the included 10m. Without the extra cable, it would have been £458 incl. VAT (the 2-way sub board was £90 +VAT = £108)

It was almost the cheapest quote I had, but definitely, the best as they were responsive, thorough and professional.

The Tesla recommended installer wanted to charge almost £800 for exactly the same unit and job. I found them quite unprofessional as they also increased their quote post 1st July by £300 due to the regulation change by OLEV only funding Smart Chargers after June 2019.

The unit is a ROLEC Home Smart Wall Pod (Tethered 7.2kW)

The installer was fantastic too, thorough, tidy, knew what he was doing.

I'd highly recommend Powered Solutions Ltd. They're in Bedfordshire, so I would imagine they cover a large area as I'm in Gloucestershire.

@Baldrick asked me what the cost of the 2-way sub-board was which reminded me they never actually installed one. I went looking for it. Turns out that they didn't put it in. I queried it and they said it should be there, probably in the outside meter cupboard (which I don't have). Then they credited my invoice by £108.00 because "the engineer is on holiday and it isn't visible". Which is fine, financially. But now has left me wondering if I should have had one put in? I have to say, originally they said it's requirement was subject to an on site survey on the day of installation.

But as they left it on the final invoice and told me it should be there it's left me pondering if I should have one? Anyone have experience here?

I have an 80Amp fuse in my breaker and a 32A fuse on my MCU (master consumer unit) which the EV charger is connected to.

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick
Anyone know what the typical amp output would be to charger a M3 from a Tesla wall charger from home? The house has a 100amp fuse but my electrician is concerned the car may nudge the overall amp usage towards that if there are other appliances running at the same time.

32A. You would need to have electric heating, cooking and hot water to be pushing 100A.

Unfortunately some installers simply total up the total individual MCB/fuse rating and don’t take diversity into account. I previously had an installer count my solar PV and immersion (powered only from excess PV) and initially refused to install a 3kW connector. I got them to see sense but in the end I just gave up with all the other restrictions they put on the install - like a DNO switch after the main fuse - not a problem but they wouldn’t do that without a meter change etc etc

Main reason why I want to use a sparky who can do a bespoke job and not work to a set formula.

Unfortunately some installers simply total up the total individual MCB/fuse rating and don’t take diversity into account

Surely the thing to do is to add up the Load not the MCB rating?

Anyone could put a kettle or 3kW heater in every socket in the house, maybe some extensions with more big loads, in practice this doesn't really happen. I haven't had many RSVPs to my Bring Your Arc Welder Party.

• Funny
Reactions: Baldrick and Roy W.
Ok so another question as I can't have a charging point at home. I see that Ecotricity offer public charging for 15p/kWh if you are on their EV tariff at home but do I need to have a charging point installed to be applicable to that tariff or can I still get it without? Thanks

Ok so another question as I can't have a charging point at home. I see that Ecotricity offer public charging for 15p/kWh if you are on their EV tariff at home but do I need to have a charging point installed to be applicable to that tariff or can I still get it without? Thanks
I believe you don't (i had a look at this too). You can sign up to their tariff and use the network at the 15p

Also Polar network has a monthly subscription (think its £7.99) and has some free chargers around if you subscribe, the others are cheaper like 15p/kw. Worth a look if lots around you?

Reactions: m3gt2
I believe you don't (i had a look at this too). You can sign up to their tariff and use the network at the 15p

Also Polar network has a monthly subscription (think its £7.99) and has some free chargers around if you subscribe, the others are cheaper like 15p/kw. Worth a look if lots around you?

Thanks, I live in Coalville, Leicestershire and do not have many options locally unfortunately and as home charging is going to be very slow I am trying to see if I could make it work by stopping 'near' home to do a majority charge and them just do slow charging to fully charge it and preheat the vehicle?

I’d hold off from signing up until we know what the compatibility is like between the M3 and Ecotricity’s chargers. They have had lots of problems with CCS compatibility, because their chargers were originally designed for CHAdeMO. For example, on a recent trip in my Kona, which uses CCS, I tried three different Ecotricity chargers, all cut out after one or two minutes charging.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2 and Fullerene
Anyone know what the typical amp output would be to charger a M3 from a Tesla wall charger from home? The house has a 100amp fuse but my electrician is concerned the car may nudge the overall amp usage towards that if there are other appliances running at the same time.
It will draw about the same as an electric shower but obviously for a longer period of time. Your electrician should apply DIVERSITY. It is in the regs and also the on site guide. If you mention it to him and he doesn't understand then I would say you need another electrician. What other large current circuits do you have in your house?

Thanks, I live in Coalville, Leicestershire and do not have many options locally unfortunately and as home charging is going to be very slow I am trying to see if I could make it work by stopping 'near' home to do a majority charge and them just do slow charging to fully charge it and preheat the vehicle?
Leicester here! *Bumps Fist* :)

I'm keeping my ear out for the Supercharger at Leicester Forest East to happen, if it does! (Ecotricity there also).

Leicester also lacks in infrastructure so home charge for me over the pavement and at work but will use the following if needed:
Also free charging at Highcross Rooftop car park (Polar Network app needed)

Castle Donnington services junction 23a (Ecotricity)
Leicester Forest East services (North & South) Ecotricity

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick and m3gt2
It will draw about the same as an electric shower but obviously for a longer period of time. Your electrician should apply DIVERSITY. It is in the regs and also the on site guide. If you mention it to him and he doesn't understand then I would say you need another electrician. What other large current circuits do you have in your house?

The electrician has provided a EV & HP application which I need to submit to the Energy Networks Association within 28 days so they can assess the usage.

Has anyone else had to do this?

The electrician has provided a EV & HP application which I need to submit to the Energy Networks Association within 28 days so they can assess the usage.

Has anyone else had to do this?
I have just googled and read about that application. The regs are now under a new eddition and this appears to be a new requirement. As your total demand has been estimated at between 60 and 100A it would appear to be a requirement and the potential problem rests with the supply to your house and the DNO now has to be happy with the proposal. All you can do is wait but I expect you will get a green light. Sounds like your sparky is on the ball with this.

Reactions: LEE3
I have just googled and read about that application. The regs are now under a new eddition and this appears to be a new requirement. As your total demand has been estimated at between 60 and 100A it would appear to be a requirement and the potential problem rests with the supply to your house and the DNO now has to be happy with the proposal. All you can do is wait but I expect you will get a green light. Sounds like your sparky is on the ball with this.

Just seen this amongst the frequently asked questions:
6. Will DNOs refuse the installation of an EV charge point or Heat Pump?
No, DNOs are obliged to facilitate the installation/connection of new loads to the power network, as part of their license condition.

It's all about the DNO's ability to see the stress on the system with the increase of heat pumps and EV's so they can prioritise where they upgrade. They can't do that unless they can see where the new installations are happening hence the new requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: Fullerene