Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Setup Recommendation Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebate comes only when a charger is installed. NEMA 14-50 is unfortunately not count as a charger. So for this case, sounds like Tesla Wall charger is every one’s choice.
Too bad on the rebate structure, but sounds like the right choice in your situation. Our power company gave us a choice of a free L2 charger or a $599 cash payment. We took the cash and installed a 14-50 for $400.

Anybody notice, but a week ago, the Tesla sight had a link to instructions for various NEMA plugs to use with the Model 3. Now that link is nowhere to be found on the sight. The only home charging option they describe is the $500 wall mount, which I was told was not necessary - that a NEMA 14-50 plug on a 250 circuit and a $35 adapter from Tesla would charge the vehicle just as fast. Has that changed in new vehicles. I'm still waiting for my vehicle to be delivered.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Anybody notice, but a week ago, the Tesla sight had a link to instructions for various NEMA plugs to use with the Model 3. Now that link is nowhere to be found on the sight. The only home charging option they describe is the $500 wall mount, which I was told was not necessary - that a NEMA 14-50 plug on a 250 circuit and a $35 adapter from Tesla would charge the vehicle just as fast. Has that changed in new vehicles. I'm still waiting for my vehicle to be delivered.

Depending on your model, it might not be as fast. The SR+ charges at 32A @ 240V (7.6 kW). The mobile connector can match this output. The long range can accept 40A @ 240V. You’ll need to use the older Gen 1 UMC or the wall connector to achieve this.

In general, 7.6 kW is more than sufficient for most LR owners use cases.

The wall adapter is more useful when you have multiple vehicles, as (1) multiple adapters can share a single circuit and negotiate a mutual charge rate that doesn’t exceed the circuits capacity, and (2) a hardwired adapter can pull more current from a given sized circuit than one using a plug. The NEC and CEC limit a plugged in device to 80% of the circuit’s amperage rating.

The Juicebox gives PLENTY of voltage and amps. I wouldn't buy a Tesla one for the "future."
Though I would never do it, I could arrive home after work every night at 1% and easily be topped off by the middle of the night. I get 36 miles of charge per hour on the nose. The free wifi data from it is fantastic too. I don't get into the Juicebox controls because I don't find them necessary, and I don't like manually altering the power to the car.

Sounds like your tracking the daily electricity usage is a short-term fascination, one that you hope to resolve someday. So here is a nice meter for $26, and I'd suggest to get the Tesla charger because of the matching connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4VF7U8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to your "range anxiety", ie. range not matching what is posted, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's only 2 main sources of power - the motor(s) and the HVAC system. You might figure out why the numbers are not estimating right, but you won't save any money on electricity except by improving your driving efficiency and/or turning down the climate control.

I end up buying the Tesla Wall Connector, as well as this particular meter. I present many options, including ChargePoint and JuiceBox, to my wife saying other options may be able to charge other EVs. My wife said, "If we are going to buy another EV, most probably is another Tesla. If that happens, I wish is a CyberTruck!". Anyway, I just want to know if you installed the meter in your setup and how long? How do you see the quality of the meter? I read from one of the reviewer mentioned an older version caught fire, so a little worried about it.

I end up buying the Tesla Wall Connector, as well as this particular meter. I present many options, including ChargePoint and JuiceBox, to my wife saying other options may be able to charge other EVs. My wife said, "If we are going to buy another EV, most probably is another Tesla. If that happens, I wish is a CyberTruck!". Anyway, I just want to know if you installed the meter in your setup and how long? How do you see the quality of the meter? I read from one of the reviewer mentioned an older version caught fire, so a little worried about it.

I don't see that review. I actually haven't had it for very long so can't vouch for its longevity. Like any product there is the possibility of defective units and defective installations.

A "UL listed" item is significantly more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017QKIAZ8

There is also this EKM meter for $95 - looks like a more established brand.

https://www.amazon.com/EKM-Metering...keywords=ul+meter&qid=1576630472&s=hi&sr=1-27

Last edited: