Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home WIFI not in range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should receive my MYLR next week. My parking position is not in range of my home wifi. I am willing to move it in range just to get updates. Is there any problem with not being in range on a daily basis?

I am not sure a wifi extender will reach either.

Please advise

Rod

I use this with my Y and my wife's m3. Bought one for each car. Use it to extend your wifi network or connect to xfinity wifi/public wifi when you're out somewhere or not in range. One of our parking spots can't reach our own wifi but can reach a nearby xfinity hotspot no problem.

How to connect to xfinity wifi with gl.net travel router:

You'll receive notice that an update is available for downloading. When you do, you can either move your car within range of wi-fi. Or, easier still, if your phone has hotspot capability (virtually all iPhones do), simply turn on your phone's hotspot, make sure the car connects to its wi-fi, and leave phone in the car for an hour or so while the new version downloads. Easy.

Also, many phones are capableof becoming wifi hotspots. Depending upon your carrier and plan, you may wish to consider this periodically. You can get a heads up on when SW updates are available at: ttps://www.notateslaapp.com/. They are normally pretty early at detecting new release and Tesla rolls them out over a period of time, so you may want to wait a while (undeterminate amount of time).

You'll receive notice that an update is available for downloading. When you do, you can either move your car within range of wi-fi. Or, easier still, if your phone has hotspot capability (virtually all iPhones do), simply turn on your phone's hotspot, make sure the car connects to its wi-fi, and leave phone in the car for an hour or so while the new version downloads. Easy.
During the download of the update if using the phone as a hotspot, does the screen show the progress (%) of the download? Thanks!

I should receive my MYLR next week. My parking position is not in range of my home wifi. I am willing to move it in range just to get updates. Is there any problem with not being in range on a daily basis?

I am not sure a wifi extender will reach either.

Please advise

Rod
How about putting an exterior WAP on the outside of your house? I like on a large lot and provide WAP access for my entire lot.

When you know that there is an update available, then just goto Walmart, Target, Mcdonals or Starbucks, they usually provide free wifi.

Some malls provide free wifi too.
just park the car close enough to pickup the wifi signals, and connect, maybe goto the browser to make sure you are connected (or agree to there T&C), then download the update.

Congratulations on your purchase. You will LOVE the Model Y.
I second the eeros mesh system. This stuff gets better and better over time. I bought a 3 pack for about $129 and placed 3 in the attic. one near my router, and two near each garage. This is the easiest system ever to install and use. DL the eero app, scan a bar code and wam, it's on the network. Scan another one, wambam it's done. The great thing about the mesh system is you don't need to configure some odd extender and only use that network. The eero uses the same SSID that is originally assigned. It's interesting how some devices will be using one then switch to another. I'm sure based on propagation. If you ever need additional coverage, just get another eero and scan a bar code, wambambam. I'm now seeing eero built into some Amazon echo devices. You don't need to buy the most expensive model for highspeed data, just get the cheaper type for coverage. If you have any questions, you're welcome to Private Message me.

The % download is shown on the Tesla app while you're downloading, I recall. But as the phone is in or near the car, probably easier to monitor the download on the car's dashboard screen.

Got it! So I take it the main screen in the vehicle won't show the % download, but will change to reflect complete once the update has been downloaded and installed, correct?

Thank you!

I think the car's screen shows the % download as it progresses. (It's been a while since I did it this way, as a few months ago I installed a router extension that reached my garage.) The Tesla App visible on your phone will post a message to you when the download is done, and then ask if you want to install it - which takes another 15-20 minutes or so. And you get a notice when that's done too.

Reactions: Lartymarf