Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Auto Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. Does anyone else find the home link drop-down options annoying when you are in reverse since they cover up a decent amount of your rearview camera screen? I don’t remember having the same issue in my model S or my model X. But the model three I guess has a smaller screen and is oriented differently, and that drop down telling me that it’s going to be closing my door in so many seconds blocks a decent chunk of my back up camera on my screen All the while I’m continuing to try to back down my driveway to the road with part of my screen obscured by homelink.
When mine works, I haven't noticed the drop down being an issue or an annoyance with the backup cam.

Yes. It opens for me so the GPS works. I was just wondering about auto closing when leaving. I'm just going to manually close it like a caveman for now.

The basic problem is GPS lag (which is normal, since GPS can always lag somewhat). When the car is moving TOWARD the garage door, any lag simply places the car a bit closer -- which is not a big deal, so open always works. But when the car is moving AWAY from the garage, any lag may cause the car to be out of range of the garage door opener before it realizes its time to send the command. That's why open is more reliable than close.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
Been a while since I've used it (still stuck on a different continent, since February), but I've switched off auto after two "failure-to-close" incidents. Since I can't see my garage door quite soon after departure, and since I've got serious bike G.A.S. it's just not worth the risk.

Reactions: Gasaraki
When I leave, mine auto-closes about 85% of the time. Auto open is more reliable at approx 95%. If you are experiencing high unreliability, I'd suggest wiping the HomeLink memory on your car and re-programming it (if you haven't done so already).

For those with autoclose issues, check your GPS positioning, when it fails to close. Look at the satellite view map or check your car's location on your phone app. Chances are, because your GPS signal in your garage was weakly received, the GPS has mislocated your car elsewhere. With some garages, because of the way they are constructed, mispositioning happens often. With others it only happens when atmospheric conditions are poor. The bottom line is auto close won't work if Homelink thinks your car isn't at home.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
A model S owner here but am a victim of the NON Auto Close brigade. Less than 10% of the time it actually works. The rest of the time the Homelink box/icon is displayed but without the Auto Close and feet countdown. The box shows up but junky Auto Closes with countdown on full moons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I know it’s not a huge deal to press the icon but why doesn’t it work?!?

(Did a forum search and found this thread hoping for some resolution) :(

I turned it off- it'd trigger fine but not actually close the door.... I back into the garage so the transmitter is facing away and too far from the receiver by the time it triggers.

Even manually the only time it works to close it (other than turning the car around to point it toward the garage) is if I hit it JUST as my rear wheels clear the lip from garage floor to driveway...there's about a 0.3 second window to get it right and it'll close hitting homelink manually... otherwise- gotta turn the car around for it to work.

We had this issue and turning off the auto close feature, waiting 10 seconds and turning it back on (suggested in some other thread) worked for us and has worked ever since. It didn't make since sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't and I could be 3 times further away than the auto close and hitting the button manually worked every time, so it wasn't a range issue. Not sure if it will work or not but an easy fix if it does work.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
We had this issue and turning off the auto close feature, waiting 10 seconds and turning it back on (suggested in some other thread) worked for us and has worked ever since. It didn't make since sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't and I could be 3 times further away than the auto close and hitting the button manually worked every time, so it wasn't a range issue. Not sure if it will work or not but an easy fix if it does work.
I'll try that today