Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just scheduled the homelink install for my new Y, I was surprised to see the level of detail and caution required to get the visit set up - photos of the un-opened box and all...

I'm in Lincoln, NE and was expecting to take it to the service center in Council Bluffs, IA...but was surprised to find they'll be sending the mobile guys to my house. I was also happy to see that the appointment is set for this coming monday - less than a week from me scheduling it.

I have a chamberlain MyQ setup, and *can* use HomeKit and the like to open/close...but that gets a little wonky from the end of my driveway. I figured what the heck, i'm buying a tech marvel of a car, might as well load it up :)

Unfortunately no, the sub-divisions maintenance tech allowed me to look at the control panel and it doesn't have a "LEARN" button. I'm able to get the FOB to cause the lights to "flash" and set the GPS location but it does not complete the steps. I didn't try to manually open the gate by pressing the HomeLink button.

I'll try it again later today.

Cheers
Sounds like you've done all the hard work. The headlamp flash tells you that the Homelink module recognizes the remote. It should then work to open the gate. When the Homelink icon turns green you should be able to get a drop down menu listing your devices, then it's just a matter of pressing the link you set up for your gate. Also, if you scroll down the Homelink menu options you should see options that allow you to automatically send a signal to open the gate. Good luck.

Just FYI in case your curios about the homelink hardware. The Tesla Ranger had it stalled in about 5 min and the frunk of the Y comes out very easily.

Just had mine installed, so good to know where it goes and what it looks like! Considering I wasn't allowed to open the package, I have never seen it myself.

Just had mine installed, so good to know where it goes and what it looks like! Considering I wasn't allowed to open the package, I have never seen it myself.
Does't say you can't open the package...just says don't tamper with. I wanted to see what a $300 box looked like - wasn't overly impressed (big box, small device) but I think Homelink is great - one garage, two gates plus geofencing feature.

Actually, the worst part was the software would not recognize the homelink. Tesla engineering had to dial in and force the upgrade. So, I left with the module installed and no homelink. ~4 hours later, it showed up.

Wow, that's strange. It's good you could get it to work. I just set mine up for my two garage doors and I did have to put the openers in "learn" mode, and use the standard pairing, but it worked like a champ. I noticed I really had to get down low and really point the remote at the low part of the bumper. Seeing where it is installed, that made sense to me.

I had same issue with door not closing automatically when leaving. But then like 2 days later it began working without me doing anything. I'm curious to see if yours will too. It works great now.

Same exact thing with me.. Yesterday it just decided to work when leaving. Interesting thing is I have it set to open at 70ft -- today when leaving it started counting down at 20ft - at least it worked though! Wonky dev.

I’d love it if Tesla sold a door sensor to help Homelink determine if the garage door was open or not.

I am a victim of auto open/closing on the trunk. Just a scuff and very fortunate. Corner of trunk on corner of weather strip rail. (Was backing in after a car wash. Creeping up driveway and gently tapped pedal to get over a seam, oh no. 240lb stout wood door no damage. Whew.)

If there’s new tech available from a 2018 era Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ, I’m all ears. IFTTT / MyQ act a little slow. Zwave user here as well.

Last edited: