Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink installed?

How many model Y owner installed homelink

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the safety infrared beam is working risk should be nil. I wouldn't activate "auto close" feature though until I knew everything was working as advertised.
Exactly! I love the Homelink feature. I don't use the "auto-close" feature because I usually have something I need to remove from the trunk and I don't want the door to come down. Also, it's one less thing to worry about when coming and going. "Did I close the garage??" :confused: It's well worth the $300 IMO. Sometimes you can find the module cheaper on eBay or here on the forum.

Reactions: Jaycha2
Here's you a $5 (well, more like $10 from Amazon) device to make your GDO open from anywhere on earth.
And its Alexa and Google Assistant compatible. Works great.
(Don't for get to turn on inching. You will understand later.

If your GDO is not compatible because of the wrong learrning button, simply wire a spare GDO remote to it. Adds a little to the cost, but works great that way too.

Reactions: Jaycha2
Musk was right when he indicated that Homelink is a crude system. In a home automation system I've never seen garage door control that doesn't include a tilt sensor on the door so the system knows status.

Also, a well designed system has a camera looking at the door from inside the garage. The phone screen that controls the door shows the camera image on the door control. So the door is never operated blind. In my house the LEDs on some light switches tell me if the door has been left open for more than 20 minutes.

Tesla should have never implemented Homelink because of the lack of status. In particular no one with kids should have a garage door that is not deliberately activated by a human looking at the door.

I had it on my 3, so I had to get it for the Y. I don't have auto-close but do love auto-open. I have it set to maximum distance, and the door just finishes going up when I'm at it. 2 years of that, and I couldn't stand digging through the console to get the remote out in the Y. Also when backing out, having it pop on the on screen to close is perfect. Old habits die hard, and in this case it cost me $300.

Reactions: parkds_nyc
Here's you a $5 (well, more like $10 from Amazon) device to make your GDO open from anywhere on earth.
And its Alexa and Google Assistant compatible. Works great.
(Don't for get to turn on inching. You will understand later.

If your GDO is not compatible because of the wrong learrning button, simply wire a spare GDO remote to it. Adds a little to the cost, but works great that way too.

In case no one noticed, with Alexa and Google Ass't support, you can had an Alexa Auto or ROVA device connect it to your smartphone and with voice commands supplement your open/close operations to your GDO and still have Homelink.

All I have are:
Vent
Lock
Flash
Honk
Start
Front
Trunk
Valet Mode
Sentry Mode
Speed Limit Mode

Nothing for Homelink

This is what I’ve got...

B44FB31A-D256-431D-BB6B-85ABD9468DB6.png

I love my GPS based homelink. I live in a gated community and it opens both the gate and my garage door automatically.
However, I have seen a terrible accident with this system. About a year ago, as my friend was pulling his M3 out of his garage and he was driving off, his daughter was also pulling her Prius out of the garage. Well... the garage door came down on her Prius and smashed the back window and also the garage door got destroyed in the process as the car was coming out. His distance setting was pretty long so we didn't even know about the accident until she called us crying. Several thousand dollar damages to both car and garage door. Thankfully, his daughter was fine.

You just have to be very careful and make sure your opening and closing distance setting is in your visual range so that you can take action quickly.