Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there are certain garage door openers that work better than others. And the "code shifting" security on some add another layer for unreliable operation.

Example: Our neighborhood gate doesn't use the type of opener that requires you to pair it to the opener. This opens 100% of the time, and from at least 100 ft away. Our garage, which has Liftmaster opener with security code pairing, works about 60% of the time within 25 ft, depending on the orientation of the car as it approaches/departs.

Dear Elon,
The distance feature for Homelink is pretty cool.
However, 100ft isn't enough. May I please have 200ft?
Some of us have pretty long driveways out in the country :)
Thanks,
Will the door open if you manually push the button at 200 ft?

And is the door already open when you get there if it opens at 100 ft? If so, opening earlier wouldn't add value?

There is no acknowledgement in the protocol, so they need a distance where most will be reliable. This doesn't increase the signal strength - that is enforced by the FCC.

Short answer is: Yes. Both the stock garage door opener AND the car will open the door when I tested them while just pulling into the driveway. My garage door raises slow enough that - at the current setting of 100ft it starts opening about 1/2 way to the door and still is not fully raised when I arrive there. I am *not* racing to the door. It's a stone driveway, so I am always crawling along at maybe 5 or 6 mph.

I thought about trying to reset the location by faking out the homelink and setting it to the end of the driveway by sitting there and pressing reset location. I didn't want to mess with it until I was more confident that it could work..

Short answer is: Yes. Both the stock garage door opener AND the car will open the door when I tested them while just pulling into the driveway. My garage door raises slow enough that - at the current setting of 100ft it starts opening about 1/2 way to the door and still is not fully raised when I arrive there. I am *not* racing to the door. It's a stone driveway, so I am always crawling along at maybe 5 or 6 mph.

I thought about trying to reset the location by faking out the homelink and setting it to the end of the driveway by sitting there and pressing reset location. I didn't want to mess with it until I was more confident that it could work..

You must have the slowest garage door opener in the world. I have mine set for 20ft and its more than 1/2 way up by the time I get to the door. lol

And wouldn't you know it.. Tonight I got the homelink bug. Came home and the automatic trigger did it's thing, the door didn't go up. Sat in front of the door, 10 feet away and tried it again and again, nothing.
Then I realized that when I left to grocery store to come home, I got the "Systems are starting up" message. And it was there a long time! Maybe 30 seconds. Certainly long enough for me to go "uh oh..." Then the message cleared and things started up normal. 10 minutes later I was home and the homelink trick didn't work :(
Not happy!

If you search some other threads (namely the one in the Model X thread) it appears Tesla is aware of the issue (it used to work 100% of the time for me and now works about 40% of the time) and the fix is either already out in the 2017.41 release or is imminent.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
After almost 1 year since getting my MS, and homelink working fine, now I've got problems. Tonight I had to enter the house to open the garage. I pressed the button many times. I drove away and came back to see if it would activate. It would not send a signal. Interesting, tho', after driving the car in the garage I used the homelink button to close the garage. I wonder if it is related to my recent 40.1 update?

Or perhaps related to my checking the settings. I read somewhere that a new feature is to change the distance from the garage when the signal is sent. I could not find that feature and I thought I did not make any changes.

I guess I need to put the opener in my car as a backup.

Last edited:
Got the bug here too, turned off auto transmit and thought I'd try manually but even when pressing it manually I don't get the little "beaming" graphic appear on the right, it just seems to refuse to transmit. Tried deleting and reparing. I did a scroll button reset sat on my drive and that cured it for one time and then was gone again when I came home. And I've not got the latest version where you can set the distance.

Have Tesla ever had a software release that didn't also break something? There must be some really dodgy code somehere.

Tesla really needs to improve their software testing and distribution process, because we continue to see obvious bugs get distributed as official releases.

Some changes that might help.
  1. Allow all owners the ability to opt in or out of the beta program. Microsoft now does this with their Windows Insider program. With so many combinations of car configurations, locations, and usage styles, clearly Tesla's current beta customer pool either isn't large enough or representative enough to detect these obvious problems. Having more people participate in the testing should help Tesla find more of these problems - before they are released to everyone.
  2. Provide owners more information and control over the software update process. Release notes should be displayed PRIOR to installing an update (so you know what's in the release BEFORE you install it). Owners should be able to check if an update is available, and initiate the installation - like you can do on other devices (computers, smartphones, tablets, routers, ...).
  3. The release notes should provide more information on what's in each release - documenting not only the feature changes, but also the major bug fixes. Rather than having owners try to guess what has changed, Tesla should provide that information. And they should have a known bug list, admitting what we all already know, that there are obvious bugs in the software, Tesla is aware of them, and they haven't yet been fixed (such as the year old bugs in the media player).
  4. And... Tesla should provide the option to rollback to the previous stable release. While rolling back to whatever version was previously installed may be difficult for Tesla to test - rolling back to a specific stable release should be possible - and something that Tesla should do both internally - and have their beta testers do, as part of the testing for each release.
The process Tesla has been using for 5 years continues to produce buggy releases. And as Tesla quickly adds more cars once the Model 3 is really in production, Tesla risks backlash from the Model 3 owners, who may be less tolerant than the early adopters who've spent more to buy S/X...

Reactions: idealsol
@bob_p You're so right on about this. Tesla should face the fact that they are a software company, inside of a car company. Their software is significant enough and has enough complexity that it calls for a formalized development operations process, with change control, issue tracking, proper release notes, known deficiencies list, etc. If they evolved their development strategy to a more formalized and standard process, they would see huge dividends in customer satisfaction!

I am also experiencing this issue on my MS 90D AP2.0 since updating to 2017.40.1 e29b97f
No issues with prior firmware versions including 2017.28, 2017.32, 2017.34 & 2017.36
I spoke to Tesla Customer Service yesterday. They said they were aware of the issue and we’re working on the release of a firmware version to fix it.
They also told me that 2017.41 did not contain the fix and they did not know when a version with the fix would be released, only that they were working on it.
I suspect that they have been monkeying around with the code in order to integrate the new distance option in the in 2017.40.
Somehow introduced this bug.
Fortunately the workaround that I read on this forum of entering the program mode and canceling is quick and easy* compared to resetting or powering down (E-brake/Power Off) and then pressing on the break to start up again.
*My thanks to the original poster of this workaround