Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always had intermittent problems with the auto open. Since an update this week it usually doesn't work at all. Tried reboot, redoing profiles, reprograming homelink, and nothing works. Don't even get the little icon that shows it is transmitting when trying to open manually.

I’m having issues with homelink too. They started when I got a recent software update that ends in a weird guid looking number. I’m just trying to wait it out, but it is seriously annoying when it’s raining and I have to step out of the car to unlock the garage. Hoping tesla fixes this soon, but I’d encourage everyone to contact tesla and let them know this is an issue, so they prioritize it.

I just want to reiterate this very quick and painless work around which restores functionality in seconds:
No need to reset or get out of your car.
Simply go to the homelink set up page. (Controls/Settings/HomeLink)
Select the garage for opener that you have already set up.
Press the program button.
Press cancel.
And like magic all programmed garage doors will work again. ( for how long - nobody knows )
So far it hasn’t failed me once.
Not seeing anybody posting this has not worked for them.
EA97CFC2-793A-469E-9B53-2DCA29621AE8.jpeg

77F9369B-D811-428B-A4CF-33AC46C0F1A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Version: 2017.42 a88c8d5

Car is a Sept 2017 build 75D.

Release notes in image.

First time I sat through an update. Wild! All sort of clicks, humming, fans spinning up (the APE fans are LOUD at full blast) and power cycles. Also I swear I hear a HDD spinning. I can’t imagine Tesla isn’t solely using SSDs, but unless my ears are deceiving me...

Also there should be an Easter egg that happens during the install for those that sit through it! ;)

Perhaps the fix has arrived?

We've had several threads on this over in X-land. :D This is/was a known bug for several weeks, and was supposed to be fixed in 17.41. With 17.42, it should be fixed definitely. (Well, sez Tesla.) I've not had a problem since 17.42 (today), but for a while it was failing after every use and needed a reboot (or the program/cancel). Then for a while (back on 17.38), it lasted several times without failing.

But, I've been told by Tesla (service manager) that 17.41 has the fix. So, be advised and test it out!

Just finished installing 2017.42.a88c8d5
I will also test and post any findings.
Will probably take a few days to conclusively determined whether or not the problem solved.
For me it mostly happens when I leave the car for hours in a parking lot oaway from home and return,home, but not always.
Yeah, it does seem to be a sleep cycle has an impact. Hope we can put this to bed soon! :)

This has happened three times for me. 40.1
Each time, it was preceded by the "Systems are Starting Up" message. One of those three times, the message showed as I was sitting in my garage.
Using the "Program and Cancel" workaround has fixed it each time. Thank you for that!

Looks like I'm being bitten by this bug as well. Still on .40 and thankfully having read thru this thread I just learned of the "work-around" which I'll try out next time it fails on me. Hopefully the next update I get clears up this issue.