Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink not included in Standard Range version

Did you experience this?

• yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • no- was informed or it came with the car

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I broke down and ordered homelink yesterday. I have a service appointment for some other stuff scheduled already and hope I can just add it on to the same appointment. RIght now I have a gate at the community entrance and my garage and the 2 remotes kinda suck so it will be nice to de-clutter.

Reactions: fidke
They already have to do this with the brakes, wheels and tires, suspension bits, etc... on the Performance.

No they don't. Performance has its own chassis designation- so they do a batch run on that chasis where 100% of cars will get the same parts you mention.

This is also why they won't sell you "P3D+ brakes" on a non-P3D car- too much complexity to offer a-la-carte options like that.

It'd make no sense to do a batch of "all cars where someone asked for homelink" because there'd be too many other differences.

Or how about just including it with all dual motor variants. Should be pretty easy to see if there is a second motor.

Sure- they could do that, just include that as a part that goes with all DM cars.

But that doesn't do anything to address the reasons they did this in the first place.

Removing it entirely allows (or makes easier anyway since it's not 1:1) the lower prices without reducing per vehicle gross margins as badly.

Gross margin per vehicle is a thing.

Why Tesla’s Model 3 Gross Margin Contracted in Q1 2019 - Market Realist

Taking costs out (and moving them to accessories sold at dealerships) improves that number. Ditto removing the 14-50 adapter.

No they don't. Performance has its own chassis designation- so they do a batch run on that chasis where 100% of cars will get the same parts you mention.

This is also why they won't sell you "P3D+ brakes" on a non-P3D car- too much complexity to offer a-la-carte options like that.

It'd make no sense to do a batch of "all cars where someone asked for homelink" because there'd be too many other differences.

From what I've seen the module is attached to the main chassis. So they could just make it a standard option for Performance and throw it on there when they're building these special chassises.

From what I've seen the module is attached to the main chassis. So they could just make it a standard option for Performance and throw it on there when they're building these special chassises.

They certainly could.

But unless they raised the price of the car to reflect this that would reduce the per-vehicle gross margin.

Not to mention we don't know the actual take rate on the option- if only say 25% of owners actually need it, you're slowing down production of 100% of your highest-margin cars for something 3/4th of them don't use.

Offloading those 25% to service centers as an add-on fixes both problems.

Other than location integration and needing to change batteries every two or three years (our reality...others' may differ), the other dislikes on your list can be easily overcome.

I agree the HomeLink module should have been included in the price of the car. If Tesla wanted to charge a fee to activate it, then I would not have had a problem with that.

It makes me wonder if Tesla's decision not to include the module was not one of cost cutting, but rather one made by necessity because the module supplier could not meet demand when Tesla significantly ramped up production of Model 3 cars in the second quarter of 2019. Perhaps the supplier could meet the substantially lower demand of fewer owners opting to install HomeLink after delivery.
It's possible there's a licensing fee for every car that is delivered with the HomeLink module in it. By leaving the module out, Tesla could reduce hardware costs as well as any potential licensing fees.

All of our cars except for the most recent one came with HomeLink modules in them. It does seem cheap to leave them out but it does help bring the initial purchase price down a little. :(

It didn't bring the cost down. They kept the cost and just stopped putting them in. They aren't making money on installs though. They are paying for mobile guys to do the install and its gotta be pretty close to 300 to get a guy out to your house for an hour and pay for the part. I think they would be better off charging a 300 option or up a package by 300 and do it at the factory when the the car is made. They still put in the bracket anyways, it just doesn't have the unit clipped on. Then you can also offer it aftermarket as 500 with a mobile tech.

It didn't bring the cost down. They kept the cost and just stopped putting them in.

that... isn't what cost means.

Cost is the cost to Tesla to build the car.

Leaving out a part reduces the cost.

Which lets you either reduce the price and keep the same margin as before, or increase the margin when keeping the price the same.

I think they would be better off charging a 300 option or up a package by 300 and do it at the factory when the the car is made. They still put in the bracket anyways, it just doesn't have the unit clipped on. Then you can also offer it aftermarket as 500 with a mobile tech.

That requires a lot of extra factory work-order logistics, supply chain stuff, inside-the-factory logistics stuff, etc.

Versus just having them drop-ship one-off orders to mobile techs/service centers as requested post-delivery.

They certainly could.

But unless they raised the price of the car to reflect this that would reduce the per-vehicle gross margin.

Not to mention we don't know the actual take rate on the option- if only say 25% of owners actually need it, you're slowing down production of 100% of your highest-margin cars for something 3/4th of them don't use.

Offloading those 25% to service centers as an add-on fixes both problems.

People buying a $60k+ car don't care about the extra $300. I don't care about the extra $300. I care about the extra time, effort, and potential for damage that comes with having to have it installed at a service center after I take delivery. Just put it in the car and raise the price. No one spending this kind of money gives two sh*ts if the car is $300 more, even if they have absolutely no use for HomeLink.

Tesla seems so focused on hitting that promised $35k number that they're cutting quality and features on the high end versions of the car to make it happen. I know Elon wants to save the world, but they have to realize that their biggest competitor isn't the Toyota Camry but the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class. That's what they should be focused on. They'll still sell more cars then they can make even in that price class. Let the Bolts and Leafs suck up the lower end market.

People buying a $60k+ car don't care about the extra $300. I don't care about the extra $300.

Awesome- please paypal me $300 then since you don't care about it :)

Seriously though this has nothing to do with the customer "caring" about the price, it's about Tesla finding ways to improve per vehicle margin- which is a number the stock analysist care a lot more about than if you got homelink in the factory or not.

Tesla seems so focused on hitting that promised $35k number that they're cutting quality and features on the high end versions of the car to make it happen.

Tesla removed homelink as standard months after they introduced the 35k car, not as a prelude to being able to introduce it.

I know Elon wants to save the world, but they have to realize that their biggest competitor isn't the Toyota Camry but the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class.

Both of which the Model 3 outsells by a wide margin...(the BMW and Mercedes- not the Camry) even after they removed homelink as standard.

So not sure your point here?

Awesome- please paypal me $300 then since you don't care about it :)

Seriously though this has nothing to do with the customer "caring" about the price, it's about Tesla finding ways to improve per vehicle margin- which is a number the stock analysist care a lot more about than if you got homelink in the factory or not.

And I'm saying that instead of removing the option, raise the price instead. Same result, less customer frustration.

Tesla removed homelink as standard months after they introduced the 35k car, not as a prelude to being able to introduce it.

They removed it right after they lowered prices to adjust for the reduction of the tax credit. Just don't lower it so much, poof, problem solved. Since I ordered mine, which I haven't even got yet, they raised the price of the Performance $1,000. No one cared. No one would have cared if it was $500 more and still included HomeLink and the NEMA 14-50 adapter either. At this price minor price variations don't matter to the majority of customers. Maybe there are a few super frugal people who want to save $500 for a couple of options they don't need, but most people spending this kind of money on a car are immune to a few hundred bucks variation.

Both of which the Model 3 outsells by a wide margin...(the BMW and Mercedes- not the Camry) even after they removed homelink as standard.

So not sure your point here?

My point is that these are the cars they're competing with and they have an even higher MSRP when maxed with options and yet people still buy them. So take a page out of their book, add some options, and jack up the price. Don't remove options so you can make the price a little lower.

Reactions: fidke and RBowen