Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink not included in Standard Range version

Did you experience this?

• yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • no- was informed or it came with the car

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are threads all over the forums and popping up on the internet about this. it was dropped recently with the partial premium interiors and was dropped with the recent price cut. i, for one, am ok with not financing what i won't have return on value. with that said, there are (cheaper) alternatives. I went with the OEM install.

Just got our Model 3 and was astounded to learn that HomeLink is not included in the extended range model. Was never informed by the salesperson that it was optional. Infuriating!

Its no longer included with any model 3, and there is no way to order it to be included prior to delivery, so maybe they forgot to tell you because its not an option you can take delivery of the car with any longer.

Its no longer included with any model 3, and there is no way to order it to be included prior to delivery, so maybe they forgot to tell you because its not an option you can take delivery of the car with any longer.
honestly i think it's because many of the salespeople just don't know. when i asked about it on my delivery, they were amazed it wasn't included with the SR+. said "it should be right here, don't know" etc. this bugged me and I just ordered the damn thing.

I have no issue with it being an option but definitely should be factory install. That being said I have had and hate $10 3rd party visor garage door opener options - dead battery, ugly, lose them, no location integration etc. Now the $300 being worth it is personal questions and in my case I like the clean look, automation, no batteries and car integration - I have three garage door locations to deal with and when I get near to the one I want open the car opens it automatically - definitely a luxury item but I really like it - also given how much I spent for the car this disappears in the overall cost.

I have had and hate $10 3rd party visor garage door opener options - dead battery, ugly, lose them, no location integration etc.
Other than location integration and needing to change batteries every two or three years (our reality...others' may differ), the other dislikes on your list can be easily overcome.

I agree the HomeLink module should have been included in the price of the car. If Tesla wanted to charge a fee to activate it, then I would not have had a problem with that.

It makes me wonder if Tesla's decision not to include the module was not one of cost cutting, but rather one made by necessity because the module supplier could not meet demand when Tesla significantly ramped up production of Model 3 cars in the second quarter of 2019. Perhaps the supplier could meet the substantially lower demand of fewer owners opting to install HomeLink after delivery.

Last edited:
Other than location integration and needing to change batteries every two or three years (our reality...others' may differ), the other dislikes on your list can be easily overcome.

I agree the HomeLink module should have been included in the price of the car. If Tesla wanted to charge a fee to activate it, then I would not have had a problem with that.

It makes me wonder if Tesla's decision not to include the module was not one of cost cutting, but rather one made by necessity because the module supplier could not meet demand when Tesla significantly ramped up production of Model 3 cars in the second quarter of 2019. Perhaps the supplier could meet the substantially lower demand of fewer owners opting to install HomeLink after delivery.

It was an issue of needing to cut the cost of building the car to support lower pricing since last year-- see also no longer including the 15-40 adapter.

It was an issue of needing to cut the cost of building the car to support lower pricing since last year-- see also no longer including the 15-40 adapter.

Makes sense for the base low end trim, but both of these should have been included for the premium Performance trim. No one paying $60k+ on a car cares about paying a couple hundred more to get the features they expect.

No one paying $60k+ on a car cares about paying a couple hundred more to get the features they expect.

and they can still do so- they're just available from the service center post-delivery now.

Which lets Tesla get a little better profit margin on vehicle sales (or keep the same one with a lower price)- and also reduces some manufacturing complexity (figuring out which cars to install the option in or not while on the line)