Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a module off of eBay in my Dec 2023 purchased MYLR in late January on whatever was the latest update as of late January. It definitely failed the first time. I either just ran it again or rebooted/shut down the car and ran it again and it worked.

Due to my rural location, I have almost zero LTE connectivity, if that helps understand the issue any better. Like when my car is parked I cannot usually access the car via the app.

I installed a module off of eBay in my Dec 2023 purchased MYLR in late January on whatever was the latest update as of late January. It definitely failed the first time. I either just ran it again or rebooted/shut down the car and ran it again and it worked.

Due to my rural location, I have almost zero LTE connectivity, if that helps understand the issue any better. Like when my car is parked I cannot usually access the car via the app.
Hmm that's a good idea also, was just curious what version was your firmware, I doubt it was 2024 though but it would definitely be interesting to see if it's not connected to a network would allow it to work, I doubt it though but no harm in trying.

Same here. Installed last month when I was on 2023.x.x. Now on 2024.2.6. No issues. Homelink works just like it did before.

I have my new Model Y now, and honestly having just spent $50k on a car, the idea of struggling and fighting to get an eBay sourced homelink working in order to save $100 is just crazy, got better things to do.
I've just ordered the Tesla part direct and will happily let the Tesla tech install it for me and move on with my life.
This ^^. Its just not worth it to save $100 because its a hit and miss (mostly miss).

I self-installed a module from eBay mid December on a December 2023 new MYLR. Has continued working with the new 2024 software releases so far. It was NOT about saving $100, it was about driving 3.5 hours each direction to the closest Tesla service center vs. spending about 30 minutes to install it myself. We had a great mobile ranger but he moved on to a better job with Tesla energy. Given how hard it is to hire people, we've had no new ranger for at least the last year. Since then, it's a bear to get any Tesla work done due to that 7 hour round trip commute.

Reactions: Visvism and arvindm
I self-installed a module from eBay mid December on a December 2023 new MYLR. Has continued working with the new 2024 software releases so far. It was NOT about saving $100, it was about driving 3.5 hours each direction to the closest Tesla service center vs. spending about 30 minutes to install it myself. We had a great mobile ranger but he moved on to a better job with Tesla energy. Given how hard it is to hire people, we've had no new ranger for at least the last year. Since then, it's a bear to get any Tesla work done due to that 7 hour round trip commute.
Yeah! That is a huge problem with Tesla. I wonder if they make an exception and allow DIY installation if you talk to them nicely! Fortunately! Here in Greensboro we have a great mobile service and the nearest service center is only an hour away. I hear Tesla is building a new service center in High Point, NC which will reduce my travel distance to a service center to about 5 minutes from my work! Yay!

That's the issue. Apparently 2024+ software no longer allows that (tbd if deliberate or not, but I'm leaning towards deliberate).
are you able to do this step ?

IMG_4930.png

I dont know but there are several people including the guy in the YouTube video that claim the installation on late 2023 or early 2024 MY! Only way is to buy a cheap module on eBay and try it out. If it does not or yo can return it for a full refund and go buy one from Tesla!
Mine is 12/23 model Y, purchased it in mid Jan 24 with Jan software installed on the very same day of purchase.

Late Jan 24, I received my eBay package of homelink module. Followed the installation process as per YouTube and it went thru!! No issues.

Very few ppl are facing issues with the installation and I believe these people have got car with some configuration issues to begin with.

Reactions: RoBoRaT