Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Signal Duration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having trouble with garage door opener in Tesla Model S 85D. Homelink opens the garage door consistently but when I tap on the icon to close the door, it almost always fails. The door starts to come down, but after about 2 seconds (3 feet?) of travel it stops and reverses to full open and stops. On very rare occassion it will close as desired. I can mimic this symptom using the original garage door transmitter by holding down the button when I want it to close (starts to come down, but reverses after about 3').

I have reprogrammed the Tesla with the remote transmitter multiple times, rebooted the Tesla screen (hold down both buttons on steering wheel), tried various locations in the driveway to initiate door closure, but I can't make it work consistently. I have a fresh battery in the old transmitter and I agree that holding the transmitter in the frunk while sending the signal works quickly.

The opener is an older model (~1989) Doorman 455. The receiver on the opener has dip switches that match the switches on the transmitter. There is no "learn" button. There is no safety light and detector at the bottom of the door to detect an obstruction in the doors path. I assume this opener predates a requirement for obstruction detection.

Does anyone have an idea on how to improve this? I've demonstrated the car to a bunch of friends and relatives and it is embarrassing when somebody asks why we have a garage door remote in such a nice car.

I have had the same symptoms before, but not in my Model S. After investigating back then, it was a spiderweb around the sensor at the bottom and a leaf caught up in it. The wind would blow it enough to trip it, but when opening, the garage door opener ignores the fault and continues opening. Hopefully this is what you are experiencing and not the transmitter duration. If this is not the problem, then I do not know what to try, sorry. Good luck!