Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honing in on a rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Trying to hone in on the source of a rattle in my month-old X. Only hear it when accelerating or decelerating from/to a stop. I don’t hear it when accelerating when already in motion. It definitely comes from behind me so it’s not front driver or passenger door or dash or windshield. Sounds like a creak initially and then like two pieces of metal hitting one another. I’ll try and record it later and post but in the meantime, I was wondering if it sounded familiar to anyone and if so, how they solved it. If need be, I’d rather head to the SC with more info so the car doesn’t have to sit there too long as they hunt for the source. Thanks in advance.

The SC will ask you to take a drive and demonstrate the noise with a tech in car.

I had a rattle that turned out to be in the headliner, just behind the left FWD. I found that by putting the third row down and have a friend lay back there and track the sound down. Took about 2 minutes. As it turned out, the next repair was to replace the FWD glass and center roof glass so they ended up taking the headliner down anyway.

The SC will ask you to take a drive and demonstrate the noise with a tech in car.

Yep. Second Tesla so been down that road before.

Had some time to test it again today and by driving with the windows down, I’ve determined the rattle comes from the exterior. And then using summon, I further pinpointed it to around the rear axle. I want to say it’s the brakes but I’m not sure. Recorded it. You can hear it below. Ideas as to what that is?

Just back from SC. For some reason I still haven’t received the receipt with the details via email but the service advisor told me they ‘greased the half shaft’ and ‘replaced a metal plate under the car’. Didn’t drive a lot but the car was noise-free throughout my ride back home. Montreal SC continues to impress me. Called yesterday morning and they wanted me to come in same day! Was out of town for the day so went in today instead, which they accommodated no problem. Overall, problem solved in 36 hrs from calling. Not bad at all.