TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hooked on autopilot

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Dutchie, May 10, 2018.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

CONFESSION

Ever since the new update I have been hooked on autopilot. When I see the steering wheel icon pop-up I engage it - even if I know I only have to drive 500 meters before an intersection or something like that, and I know I have to turn it off. In school zones I engage it, with people driving 30 km/h in front of me. Really, there is hardly a situation where I don't use it. I am already so hooked on it that I cannot imagine driving without it. Am I the only one or are more people like me?

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I use it more than necessary but probably not as often as you.

3. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I am the oddball. I don't like it. Maybe it is from my piloting days where I was taught that an autopilot will kill you if you give it half a chance. And have a flown behind them for a bit they did try to run away on their own more than once.

4. animorph

animorph Active Member

I only used TACC up until about 2017.42. I didn't want the police to think I was drunk. After that I've used it for about 80% of my highway miles, but very infrequently in the city. It's usually easier to actually drive the car than to figure out ways AP2 might screw up in city traffic.

5. tangerine

tangerine Member

Every time I get an autopilot update, i immediately test it. Mainly because I like to see the improvements of AP2 over the year, but partially to see if I can use it safely when I road trip with the family and know its limitations

6. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I use TACC whenever it will engage.

AS via AP2 is annoyingly broken frequently due in part to bad speed limit sign data, and of course is subject to nag maintenance else AS is lost until reset.

7. 5thgear

5thgear Member

I use it constantly. I rented a Volvo XC90 while visiting SF last week. It had ACC and lane keep assist, but nothing near the sophistication of Autopilot. It made me realize how easy it has been to get used to AP.

• Like x 1