Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hooking up my salesperson

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up a new M3 soon, and I dealt with a couple very helpful and friendly people at the Tesla dealership (one sales manager, and another regular salesperson he referred me to). I've exchanged a bunch of texts with the salesperson over the last few weeks and want to make sure he and his manager get some sort of benefit from my sale since they've told me they're not on commission (I asked directly).

I'm not sure if a tip would be appropriate (or allowed). Any other ideas? I've been on the retail salesperson side of things before, and want them to get the credit they deserve.

I'm picking up a new M3 soon, and I dealt with a couple very helpful and friendly people at the Tesla dealership (one sales manager, and another regular salesperson he referred me to). I've exchanged a bunch of texts with the salesperson over the last few weeks and want to make sure he and his manager get some sort of benefit from my sale since they've told me they're not on commission (I asked directly).

I'm not sure if a tip would be appropriate (or allowed). Any other ideas? I've been on the retail salesperson side of things before, and want them to get the credit they deserve.
They get paid by Tesla.

If you really have been involved in retail sales, then you know there really is no “sales” component to their job. You either click the buy button or you don’t.

But feel free to give them money if you like.

If I were you, I would wait until after delivery and see how Tesla, as a company, treats you.

I’d suggest telling them how happy you are with the service and asking for their manager’s contact information so you can tell them how good their employee is.

I’d suggest telling them how happy you are with the service and asking for their manager’s contact information so you can tell them how good their employee is.
This is probably the best course of action. Slipping them a $20 gift card to go have lunch on me is ultimately probably less beneficial to them than telling their higher-ups that they are an asset to the dealership and need a raise/promotion.

Reactions: JBT66
OP, ignoring some of the somewhat elitist responses I knew some people would make for a minute, There isnt anything wrong with thinking about being appreciative in this manner. With that being said, a genuine "Thank you" that is actually heartfelt usually goes just as far for someone in the position of the person you are thinking about doing this for.

Telling them thank you, asking for their managers email address and writing a quick email telling the manager what a positive experience you had, will likely be more impactful (and more meaningful) to someone in a customer service job who is used to people either yelling at them, or acting like they think they are someone special / should be fawned over.

I sent the following to my salesman’s manager and then posted it as a 5-Star Google Review:

6/29/23

Jamie Wolf
Tesla Regional Manager

Re: Altaf Kahn, Service Center, Vienna VA

Jamie,

I want to take a moment to share my purchase experience with you.

I wanted to purchase an inventory Model S to capture the $7,500 promotional discount.

Unfortunately the listed inventory for my zip code in Pennsylvania was limited and most listed vehicles within my 200 mile search results could not be registered in PA.

I found the vehicle I wanted in DC area and called the service center to see why I could not come to DC and buy the vehicle I wanted.

Altaf Kahn answered my call.

Altaf advised that purchasing the DC vehicle was not possible but he might be able to locate the vehicle I wanted in my area.

Altaf called back with good news, Sunday, at 9:09 PM, June 18th, Fathers Day.

I was more excited than I expected and my wife and daughter still poke fun at me and my excited conversation with Altaf that night.

My Father’s Day could not have ended any better, thanks to Altaf.

Altaf continued to stay in touch with me through the sales process and assisted in a last minute effort to capture my Tesla Loyalty credit as a prior Tesla owner.

You have a great person working for you and I am so pleased with my purchase experience that I wanted Tesla management to know.

Loving Tesla,

[Name and contact]

Sent by IPhone

I took Dunkin Donuts when I checked on status and later took a stack of Starbucks gift cards when I picked it up. I’m a nurse and I appreciate when people bring the staff treats.