Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horsepower and Torque ratings for each drive mode? Chill, Sport, Insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone has the horsepower and torque rating for each each drive mode (Chill, Sport, Insane and Insane +).
The information for Insane mode and insane + is available, but I can seem to find the rating for Chill and Sport mode.

I have a 2015 S P85D and want to resolve a dispute and level the playing field with a Ford Mustang owner. If your competitor has the same HP and torque ratings as you in chill or sport mode it makes the competition more about driving skills than horsepower.... And I have always wanted to know the ratings for each mode.

Does anybody know where to find the ratings for each model and in each drive mode?
It would be interesting to see the drive mode ratings for all Tesla's.

It would be cool to have it stated right on the button or screen when turning it on.

With much lower center of gravity, and perfect traction control, with instant power adjustment , the Tesla will always have an advantage.

The Mustang will only win if you compete about driving sideways on two wheels...

Yeah HP and TQ are all that matter right, the weight difference means nothing,

Power curve and weight are critical to drag racing as well. One of those areas Tesla is outstanding in, the other not so much.

A small engine that makes a big number but has to spool up or rev up to do it often wont be as quick as a V8 that just makes great power all the way thru even if the peaks are the same, well I should say a turbo small engine might make similar peak numbers on both fronts, a small high strung engine that makes HP is unlikely to make torque. I remember dynoing a V8 car I had and the other guy there had an S2000 that made a similar peak HP number but maybe 2/3rds the torque, mine redlined at 6200 his I think over 9000rpm.

My last car was a bone stock Chevy Sports Sedan 4000ish lbs. 415/415 and more than half a second slower to 60mph than my 4600lbs P85 that makes 416/440, area under the curve, and the Chevy metering the power(torque management) in slowly for transmission warranty reasons. Reprogramming to let it make power on demand would have narrowed the gap, but even so the Tesla is 600lbs+ heavier but is at peak tq or peak HP at all points below 73mph, area under the curve is awesome.

Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Would love to update this with your references for insane and insane plus, if you would post or send them. Max power tends to vary by battery. Torque tends to vary by model and setting.

Also, if you would do a performance run we would add you data to the 85. Right now we only have chill data for the 75.

Edit: actually we have some new data that isn't up yet. I am also unclear on what insane plus is:

upload_2018-11-2_16-59-43.png

Last edited:
Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Would love to update this with your references for insane and insane plus, if you would post or send them. Max power tends to vary by battery. Torque tends to vary by model and setting.

Also, if you would do a performance run we would add you data to the 85. Right now we only have chill data for the 75.

Edit: actually we have some new data that isn't up yet. I am also unclear on what insane plus is:

Power.JPG

Using Krash's data, here is a chart with the data converted to horsepower and torque. I have added data on the P100D, which was not in the original chart. One has to wonder about the power figures on the original chart as you can clearly see the horsepower is lower on the P100D than on the P85D? The figures that I entered are empirical from an actual AWD dyno. The following is an excerpt from Road and Track on this dyno pull.

How does the P100D do it? Traction plays a huge role—but traction is nothing without power. And until now, nobody really knew how much power the P100D was putting to the wheels.

That's where Brooks from YouTube's DragTimes comes in. Brooks has been active online for years, posting drag racing and dyno videos of the many supercars he has access to. And when he upgraded from a P85D to a P100D, it was only a matter of time before he strapped it to a dyno.

Now, granted, dyno-testing a Tesla is a little different from a conventional car. As Brooks explains, an electric motor's all-the-torque-at-zero-RPM power delivery can wreak havoc on a dyno, since this equipment was designed to work with internal combustion engines that have to build up revs to hit peak power. As we saw back when Brooks dynoed his P85D, the Tesla's instant torque delivery meant the car had traction issues, squealing its tires on the dyno's rollers and making it tough to get an accurate reading.

Of course, the P85D had a smaller battery and no Ludicrous+ mode. The challenges were only going to get bigger with the jump to P100D.

So let's cut to the chase: 588 horsepower and 920 lb-ft of torque at the wheels, in a bone-stock Tesla Model S P100D with Ludicrous+. But that might not be the final word: As Brooks explains, these dyno runs started from a roll, not a dead stop, due to the traction issues we mentioned above. Even then, the car briefly spun its wheels on the dyno rollers, meaning it momentarily made more power than the dyno could handle. Finally, these numbers came from the ninth consecutive dyno pull—meaning the car's battery wasn't at full charge.

In other words, the P100D might actually make even more power than those numbers Brooks recorded. And it's our belief that Tesla won't stop there.

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
View attachment 350845
...One has to wonder about the power figures on the original chart as you can clearly see the horsepower is lower on the P100D than on the P85D? The figures that I entered are empirical from an actual AWD dyno...
I am using crowdsourced performance data, self (car) reported from performance runs on the API or in this case the CANBus. Summary data is here. The SP85DL data is from MikeBur. Data I have on the SP100DL is 539 or 581 kW, depending on whether you are talking about the new or old drive units and how full the state of charge is.

You can't really compare the car reported power to dyno measured power. Partially because car reported is probably battery power and not at the wheel power. 581kW is 780 hp.A 2.27 second 0-60 time is really optimistic. The sample I have is only 2.5 with a rollout.

Here are the two P100DLs...

upload_2018-11-8_18-15-50.png

Last edited: