Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hostility to the transition to EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
who is po-poing anything?
I am just pointing out that the technology does not exist.
Thanks, but it isn't true, and I'm not sure how that statement helps anything, especially when you imply, from your rainbows and unicorns comment, that it can't exist. Clearly, we can produce hydrogen from electrolysis, then use that hydrogen with the conventional processes, rather than using natural gas.
It will, however, take a visionary with well-directed money to fight the nay-sayers and vested interests and actually work on making an economically viable solution.
It's the same issue as we had in the 1990's for EVs. It just took an Elon Musk to commit to making viable (Li-ion) batteries in large enough quantities for economies of scale to bring the prices down.
Maybe others with some good seed capital will see how well that turned out for Musk and invest similarly in solving the agriculture challenges.

As a new Tesla owner I’ve found it’s best to just answer the questions honestly. Here are some I’ve come across along with my responses.
  • How long does it take to charge? That depends, there are lots of options and for a regular (read US average commute) a standard outlet might be all that is needed. I’ve pulled out an app showing everything near me, not to mention my own residence.
  • What about the expensive battery? That is very true but beyond the battery and the electric motor there are barely any other parts. I am also on my fourth Honda which might require the 100,000 mile maintenance twice before I’d need to do anything with the battery in my Tesla. That is something like $2K each for that service alone.
  • What about battery waste when it does go bad? Tesla and others have been working on that and have made great strides. The battery can be mostly recycled or reused in a different application like for businesses or as grid storage.
  • What about power coming from dirty plants? That is also true but as plants are cleaned up or replaced my car only gets cleaner. Also, where I live I can choose a 100% renewable option which I am considering. That doesn’t mean the electrons flow from a wind turbine but that credits or power is purchased for the grid to match my usage.
  • What about Elon? He is a visionary that doesn’t accept road blocks but he also has a habit of over promising, at least in the short term.
  • What about the mines where the lithium, cobalt, etc come from? Similar story to where gasoline comes from, underground. Neither is what we’d call clean and in both cases improvements need to be made.
  • Is there any place I can’t go? As of now there are places that are more difficult to travel to, one I commonly visit is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Traveling there though you also have to plan your fuel stops.