Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I continue to be amazed at the hatred for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They think you are a smug lefty a-hole that believes he is saving the planet with his EV and oil is evil.
This idea that Tesla drivers are tree huggers is just stupid. I bought the car because it's fast and it's a good car. The environment was not a factor in my decision.

Same here... kinda. I hated oil changes, volatility of gasoline, maintenance, fluid leaks, and exhaust etc. Which is NOT the same was wanting to "end oil" and gluing myself to roads.

Same here... kinda. I hated oil changes, volatility of gasoline, maintenance, fluid leaks, and exhaust etc. Which is NOT the same was wanting to "end oil" and gluing myself to roads.
I do, occasionally, like to stand virtuous with my electric car......of course those who know me usually point to my motorboat as an example of my hypocrisy. But one day something strange happened...I was tied up next to this sail boat...and the skipper was filling his tank with fuel from jerrycans ...and he kept spilling it in the sea...I repeatedly complained to him (it’s actually a marine national park)...eventually he says to me that his sail boat pollutes less than my motorboat....I proudly told him, in my best French, ‘I drive a Tesla !’

Reactions: DblOSmith
Headlines like this don’t help ....
No, but vehicles from all manufacturers are subject to recalls all of the time, without it generally being a big deal. The particular negative scrutiny given when it is an EV is an illustration of the general problem being discussed in this thread. And the issue in respect of this particular Tesla recall does not even relate to the 'electric' aspect of the vehicle, but its self-driving technology and is one that is being fixed with a software update being pushed to the vehicles. Tesla's ability to provide for such updates - sometimes for recalls and more often to improve their vehicles more generally - is basically unmatched in the vehicle industry. So in that way you could see this as an illustration of one of Tesla's strengths, rather than as indicating that Tesla and EVs are fundamentally problematic.

The above being said, I do think that Tesla has overpromised and underdelivered in self-driving technology. Unfortunately, this approach has affected their reputation, including in ways that have probably bled over into unmerited criticism of EV technology more generally.

No, but vehicles from all manufacturers are subject to recalls all of the time, without it generally being a big deal. The particular negative scrutiny given when it is an EV is an illustration of the general problem being discussed in this thread. And the issue in respect of this particular Tesla recall does not even relate to the 'electric' aspect of the vehicle, but its self-driving technology and is one that is being fixed with a software update being pushed to the vehicles. Tesla's ability to provide for such updates - sometimes for recalls and more often to improve their vehicles more generally - is basically unmatched in the vehicle industry. So in that way you could see this as an illustration of one of Tesla's strengths, rather than as indicating that Tesla and EVs are fundamentally problematic.

The above being said, I do think that Tesla has overpromised and underdelivered in self-driving technology. Unfortunately, this approach has affected their reputation, including in ways that have probably bled over into unmerited criticism of EV technology more generally.
The problem is that I have to give your spiel to every non electric car owner I meet...we see it as a strength...they see it as proof that the whole thing is an unsafe experiment

Confirmed. I think it's a bad move myself.
Me too. If people want to buy EVs, that's fine. If they want to buy a petrol or diesel car instead that's also fine. Let the free market decide which is the better car.

Despite what I'm sure the government wants, it's impossible to mandate EVs here in Australia - at least not for a very long time. We have a population of 25 million on an island the size of the US. The infrastructure doesn't exist and cannot be built easily or cheaply. There are places here where even fuel is difficult to find, let alone fast DC charging. I love my Tesla but that's because I live in a capital city. I wouldn't own one if I lived in a rural area. Some people have managed to limp a Tesla around the country charging overnight from a 10A outlet but that's clearly just an exercise to prove that they could do it. It's not a realistic example of how people actually drive and doesn't scale to more than a couple of cars at a time.

Me too. If people want to buy EVs, that's fine. If they want to buy a petrol or diesel car instead that's also fine. Let the free market decide which is the better car.

Despite what I'm sure the government wants, it's impossible to mandate EVs here in Australia - at least not for a very long time. We have a population of 25 million on an island the size of the US. The infrastructure doesn't exist and cannot be built easily or cheaply. There are places here where even fuel is difficult to find, let alone fast DC charging. I love my Tesla but that's because I live in a capital city. I wouldn't own one if I lived in a rural area. Some people have managed to limp a Tesla around the country charging overnight from a 10A outlet but that's clearly just an exercise to prove that they could do it. It's not a realistic example of how people actually drive and doesn't scale to more than a couple of cars at a time.

What I watch a lot of shows that feature Australia from House Hunters International to other stuff I see a lot of Solar. Is there something different about that implies getting a 240 volt charger in your garage is more difficult compared to the US.

I understand longer travels and the difficulty for road trips for regular city/suburban travel it should be the same. Do people commute crazy long distances more down under?

What I watch a lot of shows that feature Australia from House Hunters International to other stuff I see a lot of Solar. Is there something different about that implies getting a 240 volt charger in your garage is more difficult compared to the US.

I understand longer travels and the difficulty for road trips for regular city/suburban travel it should be the same. Do people commute crazy long distances more down under?
No, people who live in cities don't necessarily have long commutes, and for them an EV would probably work fine. I drive 60km per day for work and so I own a Tesla because it suits the driving I do. The problem is that if you live in a rural area the range of an EV is nowhere near enough and there are no public charging facilities. Well, of course there are some but very limited and only on frequently travelled routes. I live in a capital city of around 1.5 million people and the only supercharger we have is one 4-bay 120kW V2.

For someone who lives in Perth, the next closest capital city is almost 3,000km away. And there's basically nothing in between (just small towns). I just stuck that route into ABRP and it failed to find a valid route. Obviously most people are not making that particular drive, but a lot still do. I personally know multiple people who have done so in their car.

Plus you have to dodge dog-sized spiders, animals that poison you if you look at them, and roos constantly drop kicking your cars... at least in my head cannon. :) You need Cybertrucks down there!

I remember the pictures of the normally polluted cities during the Great Shutdown. Most of the internal combustion vehicles were parked and factories were shut down. The skies were so much cleaner that you could see for miles. The big cities of Europe and Asia have probably not been that clear for centuries. The change does not have to be fast and expensive, but won't it be nice if that is what the future will look like in say a hundred years. EV's are just a small start.

I remember the pictures of the normally polluted cities during the Great Shutdown. Most of the internal combustion vehicles were parked and factories were shut down. The skies were so much cleaner that you could see for miles. The big cities of Europe and Asia have probably not been that clear for centuries. The change does not have to be fast and expensive, but won't it be nice if that is what the future will look like in say a hundred years. EV's are just a small start.
Noise pollution is big. I lived in downtown Portland for 2 weeks before moving. I couldn't stand the constant sound assault from vehicles, garbage trucks, hydraulics... and whoever thought it would be a good idea for glass recycling trucks to collect and BREAK THE GLASS randomly up and down all the streets at all times of the night and morning... whoever approved that should be forced to live in that environment as long as that is the process.

No, people who live in cities don't necessarily have long commutes, and for them an EV would probably work fine. I drive 60km per day for work and so I own a Tesla because it suits the driving I do. The problem is that if you live in a rural area the range of an EV is nowhere near enough and there are no public charging facilities. Well, of course there are some but very limited and only on frequently travelled routes. I live in a capital city of around 1.5 million people and the only supercharger we have is one 4-bay 120kW V2.

For someone who lives in Perth, the next closest capital city is almost 3,000km away. And there's basically nothing in between (just small towns). I just stuck that route into ABRP and it failed to find a valid route. Obviously most people are not making that particular drive, but a lot still do. I personally know multiple people who have done so in their car.
Canada is in a similar situation to Australia - a big country with a relatively sparse population. But I think that we are set up a bit better in Canada for Supercharger access. The cross-Canada trip has been possible for a number of years. And so too are connections between all major cities. Ottawa - with a population less than Perth Australia - has 2 Superchargers sites with adequate bays, with a 3rd Supercharger site expected soon just across the river in Gatineau, and other existing Supercharger sites close to Ottawa along routes heading in various directions. Granted, Ottawa is in a fairly heavily populated area of the country and there are still plenty of gaps in other parts of Canada along secondary routes and between secondary cities and towns. Some of those gaps can be filled if your Tesla can use non-Tesla Level 3 chargers, granted I would not want to rely on those and even they do not fill all of the gaps.

Presumably though these problems will eventually be a thing of the past as the Tesla network gets further built out and as other Level 3 charger networks also expand and become more reliable. That is happening, though I wish it would happen faster. Eventually though I expect Level 3 charging to be almost as plentiful as access to petrol. It won't be quite as plentiful because it does not have to be - most trips are local and much charging can be done at home or at public Level 2 sites near homes. But basically I expect that before long none of this will be an issue.

Last edited:
I was a long time Vette owner and frequent Corvette related forums. I no longer have a Vette and I'm on my 3rd EV and 2nd Tesla (Model X Plaid) and many peope on those forums, especially the boomer generation try to find reasons to hate on EVs and Teslas by repeating false information over and over again. I believe that it's mostly political. They associate anything EV with Liberslism and this just isn't true. EV owners are from all political sides and IMHO, owning an EV is not a political statement. In my case, environment or sustainability are not part of the reason why I drive EVs and specifically Tesla. For me, it's because it's the best bang for the buck. If I want a 9 second gas car with 150k mile warranty on the expensive parts, I would have to pay many times what I paid for my Plaid. Running cost is virtually nothing. I can't see myself ever go back to gas for a daily driver.

Another day, another ICE SUV cuts in front of me on the highway when there was just 1 car length in front of me. Inner city highway, 65 mph speeds. I had to slam on the brakes...this is almost a daily happening.
It’s a strange thing to do just because they see a Tesla....unless...these cars have been victims of Tesla phantom braking

It’s a strange thing to do just because they see a Tesla....unless...these cars have been victims of Tesla phantom braking
I have no idea why people drive the way they do..what motivates them...but dangerously cutting in front of me for no reason...I can only assume Tesla Hate. There are Tesla's being set on fire nearly everyday in California..it's a thing.

I have no idea why people drive the way they do..what motivates them...but dangerously cutting in front of me for no reason...I can only assume Tesla Hate. There are Tesla's being set on fire nearly everyday in California..it's a thing.
That is pretty bad.... I haven’t come across anything like that here in France....but being cut up is quite normal driving for a lot of people