Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I continue to be amazed at the hatred for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel strange getting into this post so late. It's a TL/DR 4 pages of comments so I hope I'm not repeating someone else's post. But in my Apple News posts, the Wall Street Journal publishes a negative EV article almost daily. What is their beef? One thing you won't see from the WSJ is an article that interviews EV owners, who are almost unanimously enthusiastic about their cars. Further evidence, just look at this site (TMC).

Reactions: SO16 and chinney
I feel strange getting into this post so late. It's a TL/DR 4 pages of comments so I hope I'm not repeating someone else's post. But in my Apple News posts, the Wall Street Journal publishes a negative EV article almost daily. What is their beef? One thing you won't see from the WSJ is an article that interviews EV owners, who are almost unanimously enthusiastic about their cars. Further evidence, just look at this site (TMC).
There are lots of newspapers that do that...but if there is something they print that you know to be untrue or exaggerated or part of a campaign to push a certain narrative...then you should question whether the newspaper has got it right on all the subjects of which you don’t have intimate knowledge of. And odds are they are probably wrong more often than they are right.

Another day, another ICE SUV cuts in front of me on the highway when there was just 1 car length in front of me. Inner city highway, 65 mph speeds. I had to slam on the brakes...this is almost a daily happening.
Same here. It's absolutely ridiculous. I hate driving in my city and I am ecstatic to pull into my garage every afternoon. Turn signals are requests, not demands. Space in front of cars is for my safety, not for you to squeeze in, and **** you if you zoom to the front of a line of cars and cut over. Every day, I wish I had the power of Karma (Car-ma?): Whenever someone does something stupid in a car, I have the mental ability to cause them to wreck or disable their engine for a certain amount of time and make them learn that driving like a moron is not worth it.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Same here. It's absolutely ridiculous. I hate driving in my city and I am ecstatic to pull into my garage every afternoon. Turn signals are requests, not demands. Space in front of cars is for my safety, not for you to squeeze in, and **** you if you zoom to the front of a line of cars and cut over. Every day, I wish I had the power of Karma (Car-ma?): Whenever someone does something stupid in a car, I have the mental ability to cause them to wreck or disable their engine for a certain amount of time and make them learn that driving like a moron is not worth it.
I honk but continue to keep any anger to the minimum. Not worth the trouble and these days....anything could happen. I try to mark it up to Envy by those still pumping gas.

Reactions: SO16
I was a long time Vette owner and frequent Corvette related forums. I no longer have a Vette and I'm on my 3rd EV and 2nd Tesla (Model X Plaid) and many peope on those forums, especially the boomer generation try to find reasons to hate on EVs and Teslas by repeating false information over and over again. I believe that it's mostly political. They associate anything EV with Liberslism and this just isn't true. EV owners are from all political sides and IMHO, owning an EV is not a political statement. In my case, environment or sustainability are not part of the reason why I drive EVs and specifically Tesla. For me, it's because it's the best bang for the buck. If I want a 9 second gas car with 150k mile warranty on the expensive parts, I would have to pay many times what I paid for my Plaid. Running cost is virtually nothing. I can't see myself ever go back to gas for a daily driver.
That's funny because libs hate Elon Musk. He can make their woke ideology look idiotic and they hate him for it. That hatred of Musk overrides their feeling of superiority from thinking they are saving the planet by owning a Tesla.

That's funny because libs hate Elon Musk. He can make their woke ideology look idiotic and they hate him for it. That hatred of Musk overrides their feeling of superiority from thinking they are saving the planet by owning a Tesla.
That’s so backwards.
  • Look at the Supercharger infrastructure in blue vs red states.
  • Which states give tax incentives for installing public charging stations?
  • Which states have the better EV credits? Some red states offer nothing for an EV.
  • Which states/party have moved to outlaw EV’s.
  • Who was in office when the tax credits for EV purchases were enacted?
  • Which Presidential candidate supports EV’s?
  • Which Presidential candidate is anti EV?
You are welcome to present facts, you’re not welcome to make up facts.

That’s so backwards.
  • Which states have the better EV credits? Some red states offer nothing for an EV.
If you look at taxation in those states, It's not government who pays for those investments. They steal your money via taxation first and then give you a fraction of it back in freebies. I rather have less taxes and private business investing in infrastructure. Every time government gets involved, lots of money disappears in government corruption. Remember the $7 billion bill to build chargers? Only one charger was funded and the rest of the money is gone.

Reactions: john8899 and gtae07

Yeah its def interesting to be a Tesla owner (these days especially). I feel like you get hate from those on the right that don't want to be forced into an EV ecosystem and hate from the left that hates Elon Musk because he doesn't share their politics (heaven forbid).

I feel like a child stuck in the middle of a divorce. Thank goodness for sentry mode.

There are lots of newspapers that do that...but if there is something they print that you know to be untrue or exaggerated or part of a campaign to push a certain narrative...then you should question whether the newspaper has got it right on all the subjects of which you don’t have intimate knowledge of. And odds are they are probably wrong more often than they are right.
the old Gelman amnesia effect

That’s so backwards.
Well it's a fact that there are liberals that hate Elon Musk. You should try talking to a Kia EV owner about Elon Musk if you don't believe it.

Last edited:
I’m a news junkie. I hear a lot of weird stories from my right wing friends. I asked about some major news stories and they said I was wrong (Fox $1B and $2B lawsuits) asked if they ever watched main stream media and they all said the same; they only watch news that says what they want to hear. They see nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
The most liberal of them all.
Actually, WSJ usually ranks right of center. Try News Nation, they typically rank pretty close to center leaning very slightly right and high in reliability.

The chart below is updated monthly.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I hang out on the same ICE car forum as @FloridaSun and I've seen many examples of both EV Hate and Autonomous Vehicle Hate. At least part of that stems, I believe, from the fact that people are resistant to change, especially change that they don't understand. The older we get the more resistant we become. Some ICE drivers hear about the proposed "EV-only by 2035" type mandates and they feel threatened - they assume that once new EVs stop being sold the next step will be an outright ban on ICE vehicles. Similar fears drive hatred of autonomous cars - these folks fear that once AVs become mainstream then human-driven vehicles will be banned. They use phrases like "you'll have to pry my steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands."

Anyway, that's my theory.