Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cooling fan running constantly for the last 24 hours / buzzing loud sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Constant buzzing loud sound from the front passenger and driver side wheels/ frunk going on for the last 24 hours. I assume it is the battery cooling fans? All lights, Cabin over heat protection, AC, Sentry mode etc are all off. Battery charge goes down by 2 to 3% every hour.

Not sure what is going on. Cant imagine this thing going on for days till I get service appointment from Tesla. Any ideas.

Thanks Jcanoe. Did the reboot. No luck. Outside temperature is only 85 but it shows 118 interior and 132 exterior. Parked outside with windows rolled down so it cant be these numbers

Did the service request. Will see if mobile service helps

Thanks Jcanoe. Did the reboot. No luck. Outside temperature is only 85 but it shows 118 interior and 132 exterior. Parked outside with windows rolled down so it cant be these numbers

Did the service request. Will see if mobile service helps
If the outside air temperature (OAT) display readout is 132F and your Tesla Model Y is not parked on a hot asphalt or concrete then the OAT sensor or wiring may have been damaged. This could cause the Tesla Model Y to run the cooling fan. The most common reason for the OAT sensor giving false readings is damage to the OAT sensor wiring harness from rodents chewing on the wire insulation.

Reactions: Kupe and Pianewman
If the outside air temperature (OAT) display readout is 132F and your Tesla Model Y is not parked on a hot asphalt or concrete then the OAT sensor or wiring may have been damaged. This could cause the Tesla Model Y to run the cooling fan. The most common reason for the OAT sensor giving false readings is damage to the OAT sensor wiring harness from rodents chewing on the wire insulation.
Thanks. Chances rodents creating issue seems very slim.

Went for a quick drive and came back. Interestingly the interior and exterior temperature shows considerably lower number 85 to 90 but the fan/loud buzzing sound continues. Just parked the car and now the interior temp shows 112 and exterior 122

Last edited:
Thanks. Chances rodents creating issue seems very slim.

Went for a quick drive and came back. Interestingly the interior and exterior temperature shows considerably lower number 85 to 90 but the fan/loud buzzing sound continues. Just parked the car and now the interior temp shows 112 and exterior 122
Please post an update once Tesla determines what caused the fan to continuously run.

Reactions: Mike_TV
Sound was gone the next day however got the appointment. Here is what they say in the invoice after repair

"Found alerts for thermal fan circuit issue. Found the thermal fan soft set causing poor thermal and hvac system performance. Secured connector. performed thermal and hvac system performance test. Vehicle passed both tests. Replaced A/C Refrigerant Recovery and Recharge"

The sound(s) you heard while your Tesla Model Y was parked could have included coolant pumps, the radiator fan, or heat pump compressor; any or all three. As part of diagnosing the problem Tesla evacuated the refrigerant from the compressor. After repairs were completed the system was recharged. Tesla recharged the system with the evacuated refrigerant and added additional refrigerant, compressor oil as needed. If Tesla determined that the old refrigerant was contaminated they may have recharged the system with new refrigerant.

This video is for a Ford vehicle but the recovery, purge and charge steps would be the same for the Tesla Model Y heat pump compressor, compressor lines.

How Professionals Recover & Recharge Your Vehicles A/C System

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
I recently picked up my MYLR with HW4 and notice the same. It sat in my garage for a week with that buzzing sound 24/7. I did't think this was normal so I scheduled the earliest appointment available at the Tesla Service Center, but it was a week out.

I wasn't going to sit around and watch my new car self destruct so I decided to remove the frunk & HEPA filter to see where that noise was coming from. I traced it back to the Battery Coolant Pump & Powertrain Coolant pump both was staying on. It didn't matter whether the car was charging or not, plug in or not, day or night, inside or outside the garage. The temperature at the time was between 65F-75F degree. Nothing I could do to make those two pump turn off except to disconnect both the low voltage and high voltage battery. So it sat for a week with the batteries disconnected until I got it to the service center.

Got a massage a day later letting me know that my vehicle was ready for pick up. Its almost impossible to get someone to talk to you on the phone so I went to pick it up. This is their official finding, "Checked alerts, no alerts are present at this time. Checked level of coolant, coolant ok at this time." They told me that there wasn't any fault code in the system therefor there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle is operating as designed/to specs. Noticing I wasn't getting anywhere with them at the service center, I took the vehicle home the same condition I brought it in, with both coolant pump still running continuously.

I still didn't feel comfortable with both of the coolant pump running nonstop. So I decided to dig around some more. I deleted my phone as a key and waited for an hour to see if that would help, nope. Turn off Wi-Fi, turn off charging schedule, turn off Bluetooth. No, no and no. So I decided to do a "Factory Reset" and let the car sit for about an hour. To my surprise the pumps stop running. I than went back in and turn on the options I wanted on one by one (waiting 30 minutes in between because any time the vehicle is awake the pumps will run for a while) to see what it was that trigger the pump to stay on continuously. It turns out to be the Sentry Mode. I can than turn on any and all other options/function I wanted and the pumps will only run for a short while than turn off. As long as I keep the Sentry mode off.

I know this is not comparing apple to apple, but a friend has a M3LR that he picked up on the same day as I picked up my MYLR and he doesn't have this problem. On his M3LR with HW3 you can turn the Sentry Mode on and leave it on. The pumps will turn on for a short prior of time than off until there is an activity on or near the vehicle.

I don't know if this is a Model Y issue or HW4 issue. For the time being I'm keeping the Sentry Mode off and keeping my figure crossed in the hope of some software update is in the work.

Sorry for the long post.

Sentry mode keeps the car awake, that is well known. When the car is awake, it constantly circulates coolant using its pumps. This is all working as designed.
I've never had my coolant pumps "constantly" circulating, regardless of Sentry Mode being on or off, nor have I read that the pumps constantly working is "as designed."

GtiMart: Are your car's coolant pumps running 24/7?