Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hour old rock chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MY on Friday and unfortunately the highway was being repaired and loose rocks across all lanes. I now have chips in the plastic and one on the metal hood. Need to get this fixed ASAP but touch up paint is sold out. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• F45FF9ED-0667-4911-BA55-F09EBABD50BD.jpeg
    F45FF9ED-0667-4911-BA55-F09EBABD50BD.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 44DF5694-B5F4-4B6A-91C9-A4EF12A380A8.jpeg
    44DF5694-B5F4-4B6A-91C9-A4EF12A380A8.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 117
  • D7A2D719-BA32-4FA1-9C9C-E7811E15B6AB.jpeg
    D7A2D719-BA32-4FA1-9C9C-E7811E15B6AB.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 111
Based on the size of my chips the pen looks interesting. Anyone have experience with the pens?
I got the Tesla pen years ago for my Model S. It was awful. Maybe others can get good results out of a pen, but it never seems to go well for me. I ended up yanking the tip and getting the paint out with a brush. Later on I repaired some chips with Dr. Colorchip, and those look better. I've had mixed results with Langka, but want to try it again because theoretically it should be better for chips (and especially larger chips).

I got the Tesla pen years ago for my Model S. It was awful. Maybe others can get good results out of a pen, but it never seems to go well for me. I ended up yanking the tip and getting the paint out with a brush. Later on I repaired some chips with Dr. Colorchip, and those look better. I've had mixed results with Langka, but want to try it again because theoretically it should be better for chips (and especially larger chips).
Pens belong in the trash from the word go. Absolutely useless!! I have had better lucks with touchup sticks with tiny sponge tips. It gives you much better control over how much paint to dab on the surface. You MUST have very steady hands like a brain surgeon tho.

If you wanted to get really technical, you are supposed to "overfill" the chip so that there is a slight bump coming out of it. You then go back (after it's completely dry) to wet-sand it down with a 3000 grit "blending" it in with the surrounding surface. You can then use a paint-correction polish to remove the 3000 grit sanding marks back to shine.

Last edited: