Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big is the gigafactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Was googling, found some interesting numbers, this is usable space

Boeing Everett Factory, Washington State - 13.38 million square meters
Target import house, Savannah Georgia - 7.43 million square meters
NASA vehicle assembly building, Florida - 32,374 square meters
O2 Arena, London = 104,634 square metters

Gigafactory, when completed - 13.6 million square meters.

I'd hate to know what the air conditioning bill is of the Boeing factory. But even more impressive to know that the gigafactory will be powered by Solar Cells (Net Zero in fact). As a comparison, the other largest green building being built, the Apple spaceship campus, is a ring that is 472 meters in diameter. The gigafactory is a solid rectangle (almost) that is 1100 meters long.

And the second largest building in the world currently, by floor space, is the Tesla factory in Fremont.

Mind blowing!

Reactions: javawolfpack
Depends how you measure. In footprint it is #2 (source: List of largest buildings in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but in usable square footage it's probably way down.

I think the issue is that you said "floor space" which is a different measurement than footprint. All things shown in the Wikipedia page you used as a source. "Floor" being the key point, since using that same source you provided the Tesla factory in Fremont does not appear in the top 50 of buildings by largest floor area, exactly like he said.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Was googling, found some interesting numbers, this is usable space

Boeing Everett Factory, Washington State - 13.38 million square meters
Target import house, Savannah Georgia - 7.43 million square meters
NASA vehicle assembly building, Florida - 32,374 square meters
O2 Arena, London = 104,634 square metters

Gigafactory, when completed - 13.6 million square meters.

I'd hate to know what the air conditioning bill is of the Boeing factory. But even more impressive to know that the gigafactory will be powered by Solar Cells (Net Zero in fact). As a comparison, the other largest green building being built, the Apple spaceship campus, is a ring that is 472 meters in diameter. The gigafactory is a solid rectangle (almost) that is 1100 meters long.

And the second largest building in the world currently, by floor space, is the Tesla factory in Fremont.

Mind blowing!
Watch the documentary about the Boeing factory. They actually have had clouds form up by the ceiling.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Watch the documentary about the Boeing factory. They actually have had clouds form up by the ceiling.
In my ten years at Boeing, I have never seen clouds forming inside the factory. Probably an extremely rare event.

Also, I agree with another forumer that there is NO AC is the factory (except the office space), they just open the huge sliding doors to have cross ventilation.