Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I make my Model S audio system sound like the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a February 2016 Model S without the premium upgrades so everything is standard at that time. My partner got the Model 3 which has obviously has the premium upgrades (since there was no option without). The sound system in the Model 3 sounds much better than my Model S, but I'm no audiophile so I don't have the proper words to describe why. I'd really like to see if it's possible to upgrade the sound system in my Model S to either meet or exceed the quality of the Model 3 but I'm pretty hopeless about how to go about it. Is there anywhere to find the specifics or perhaps folks who have seen both know what could be done to enhance the Model S sound system? I've seen mentions over the years about owners upgrading to Reus though I haven't read through them. Is that the best option for aftermarket? Any other options?

I have a February 2016 Model S without the premium upgrades so everything is standard at that time. My partner got the Model 3 which has obviously has the premium upgrades (since there was no option without). The sound system in the Model 3 sounds much better than my Model S, but I'm no audiophile so I don't have the proper words to describe why. I'd really like to see if it's possible to upgrade the sound system in my Model S to either meet or exceed the quality of the Model 3 but I'm pretty hopeless about how to go about it. Is there anywhere to find the specifics or perhaps folks who have seen both know what could be done to enhance the Model S sound system? I've seen mentions over the years about owners upgrading to Reus though I haven't read through them. Is that the best option for aftermarket? Any other options?

I am sure others will chime in but I can’t see myself spending that kind of money on Reus’.

I just added the NVX B.O.O.S.T system to my standard set-up and it has made a huge improvement to the overall car audio.

I realize this is a far cry from a full Reus system but an easy and relatively inexpensive option.

Good luck with getting a response from Reus. I contacted cliff last april about doing a 2.5 install. Minimal response. I'm even in the Chicago area willing to drive to get it done.
If you are in the Chicago area check out ABT in Glenview they have a great shop and do really clean installs. I had them put systems in 3 of my former cars and every one was done right by professionals that know their stuff.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I had the NVX system in my first S (that had the premium sound), and now have the Reus system in my current S. They both have their merits, and obviously the Reus system costs more, but overall if I did it all again, I'd get an S with base audio, and the Reus upgrade. I've always found Cliff very responsive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I agree that the audio in the 3 (not sure if it’s standard or premium since we don’t really know what standard is yet) is significantly better than the premium system in the S, and possibly a tad better than the X.

I can’t say why, but my guess is a combination of tuning for the 3 and speaker placement.

I’ve got thousands into an aftermarket system on my S, and even if the 3 was my daily driver I’d leave it stock.

I'm definitely not an audiophile but the 3 system sounds fuller to me. I wish I could eloquently say what it is that makes it stand out for me. I even matched the equalizer from the 3 into my S, which had helped but obviously not the same. It does look like the front of the dash (where it meets the windshield) may be one long speaker so maybe that's part of it. I'll have to do an closer examination to count how many speakers are in there. I was hoping someone had done an audit already which shows some more technical schematics to go from.

Thanks for the suggestion about NVX, @Lodo1000. I'm hoping that folks can link to their aftermarket systems so I can do a thorough comparison. I'm doubtful I'll use Reus but it doesn't hurt to include it in the list of options!

I swear by my REUS system, and for the $$, I think it is a great value given the amazing quality. The LHR system IMO is a terrible value in terms of actual results vs. the cost and labor. Just adding NXT sounds like a good way to improve the biggest deficit for the Tesla system, but it is a far cry from a proper system. The biggest issues with the Tesla UHFS system is the crappy subwoofer, weak tweeters in front, and the crossovers and amps. Reus focuses on the components that will bring the biggest impact (which is NOT the side door speakers, the tesla paper speakers are actually usable and much lower on the upgrade priority list).

I have heard stories of folks not hearing from Cliff, but I heard back from him immediately, and had the car down to L.A. 1 weekend later, and then it was done. I have sent him referrals as well, so if someone is interested, I can also ping him by email to try and get his attention. I do think CA cars will have the best luck.

If anyone in the bay area wants to hear it, just let me know

• Informative
Reactions: Plug Life