Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can this be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s quite amusing, other than the fact it could have caused an accident. I guess the driver was using a nag defeat device.

If I go to sleep at the wheel I always make sure my passenger is awake ;)

I reminds me of the old joke:
My dad died peacefully in his sleep. Not like his passengers.

Several aspects don't make sense so even though a BBC report one wonders if true, if speeds reported are correct, whether driver was messing about and then stupid enough to keep the game going once Plod arrived? Questions as to why autonomously it was going over national speed limits? And for conspiracy theorists whether driver was a paid patsy by short-sellers or Waymo...

By the time the truth comes out everyone will have forgotten. Bottom line is no-one seems to have got hurt.

In my (limited) experience AP can be set at more than the speed limit on motorways but not on most other roads. Haven’t experimented to see how much more! Would need massively more faith in the system than I have got to take my hands off more than momentarily, let alone take ‘ a nap’.

Maybe he had autopilot on but his foot was resting on the gas pedal in his sleep.

Although, while a lot of people are probably reading this and thinking how dangerous it is. I am reading this and acknowledging that a Tesla successfully drove at 150km/h steadily enough for two people to take a nap.

Reactions: sewing1
In my (limited) experience AP can be set at more than the speed limit on motorways but not on most other roads. Haven’t experimented to see how much more! Would need massively more faith in the system than I have got to take my hands off more than momentarily, let alone take ‘ a nap’.

We can be sure it wasn't carbon monoxide poisoning

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647 and JS77
A 20 year old driving? My guess is that he was in control and just mucking about.
I bet you can peep over the dash enough to drive yet seem asleep and reclined. May have not had the rear view mirror adjusted to see the blue lights behind though.

Possiby not asleep but I would be more comfortable with autopilot driving that car than someone who is pretending to be sleeping driving it. Personally I prefer autopilot to most drivers.

Reactions: Beady3647
Possiby not asleep but I would be more comfortable with autopilot driving that car than someone who is pretending to be sleeping driving it. Personally I prefer autopilot to most drivers.
You must have a different version of autopilot to mine. Mine is a scared, inconsistent 17 year old behind the wheel. No WAY would I let myself be driven by it ;)

You must have a different version of autopilot to mine. Mine is a scared, inconsistent 17 year old behind the wheel. No WAY would I let myself be driven by it

Exactly. This is why I find the story so bizarre. Unless North America has a massively advanced FSD to those of us in Europe, I wouldn't have the courage to take my eyes off the road let alone the wheel. The only time I've found FSD to be of some use is on long French and Spanish autoroutes with minimal traffic. The minute slower vehicles, crossing vehicles, passing vehicles or joining vehicles are added to the scene, about 70% of the time the car lurches around the road with FSD cutting out because it's confused and auto-braking aggressively 'saving' me from imaginary death scenarios that exist only in its befuddled electronic brain. The summary of my recent road trip was some relatively calm moments - even enjoyable, interspersed with me screaming, 'You stupid f*****g car!!' and waving apologies to angry drivers behind me.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr Miserable
You must have a different version of autopilot to mine. Mine is a scared, inconsistent 17 year old behind the wheel. No WAY would I let myself be driven by it ;)

So is mine! Did a couple of long'ish motorway trips yesterday, in fairly light traffic, and after about the third phantom braking event my wife told me to stop playing with the car and just drive it normally.

Had a new variation on phantom braking for one of them. Came up behind a Prius, with not another vehicle in sight, on an open stretch of the M3, and the Prius icon instantly turned red with the car doing it's usual loud bongs and braking hard. Made me wonder whether Elon dislikes the Prius enough to have Prius recognition coded into the car . . .