Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How closely does Tesla look at trade ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
I have an old '11 Sonata paints pretty beat up/the window stuck/the AC not working in summer etc., but drives fine. I know TSLA gives auction value through the online calculator and doesn't resell.

Do they care about cosmetic type issues and adjust at delivery or depend on the thoroughness of the intake rep? I could tell the rep to take delivery and fix it after ;)

Last edited:
I traded mine in 2 days before the end of quarter, so maybe they were super super busy... but it seemed to me that they didn't care to look at the trade-in at all.

Perhaps each location/employee is different. Tesla tends to low-ball on tradin-in offers, so perhaps they've left room for damage like you've described.

Personally, I wouldn't be dishonest about anything... but if they don't ask you if it has A/C then i also wouldn't feel obligated to volunteer that information and/,or everything wrong with it.

I'd say... it's worth a shot. If they reject it on delivery day, have a backup plan for buying without the trade-in, getting both vehicles home, then selling the trade-in privately.

I traded mine in 2 days before the end of quarter, so maybe they were super super busy... but it seemed to me that they didn't care to look at the trade-in at all.

Perhaps each location/employee is different. Tesla tends to low-ball on tradin-in offers, so perhaps they've left room for damage like you've described.

Personally, I wouldn't be dishonest about anything... but if they don't ask you if it has A/C then i also wouldn't feel obligated to volunteer that information and/,or everything wrong with it.

I'd say... it's worth a shot. If they reject it on delivery day, have a backup plan for buying without the trade-in, getting both vehicles home, then selling the trade-in privately.

Yes I had planned on selling the trade-in privately but with the issues, I felt bad about it. Don't have those qualms if it's being auctioned and it's low balled anyways
t

Reactions: father_of_6
Yes I had planned on selling the trade-in privately but with the issues, I felt bad about it. Don't have those qualms if it's being auctioned and it's low balled anyways
t

Exactly... it's like they're expecting it and have built it into the offer price. Additionally, I suspect it's par for the course for those who work in the used auto industry. Someone will buy it at auction, fix a few things with no inal cost of parts / labor, and make a few thousand off of it.

Reactions: vickh
If you have a CarMax near you, you can also go there for the trade-in. They tend to be much higher than most dealerships as they do a far more thorough inspection. I've traded my last 3 cars in at CarMax and come out pretty satisfied. This includes prior to picking up the Tesla.

Reactions: Lumpydog
If you have a CarMax near you, you can also go there for the trade-in. They tend to be much higher than most dealerships as they do a far more thorough inspection. I've traded my last 3 cars in at CarMax and come out pretty satisfied. This includes prior to picking up the Tesla.

I doubt @vickh wants " a more thorough inspection "....

I have an old '11 Sonata paints pretty beat up/the window stuck/the AC not working in summer etc.

Exactly... it's like they're expecting it and have built it into the offer price. Additionally, I suspect it's par for the course for those who work in the used auto industry. Someone will buy it at auction, fix a few things with no inal cost of parts / labor, and make a few thousand off of it.

+1 Small world Wife is from Webster)
I doubt @vickh wants " a more thorough inspection "....

Agreed :) that's exactly why I'm going w/ TSLA. I expect the same inspection as they do with their CPO deliveries ;)

They look at vehicle condition, pictures of vehicle outside and inside. That what I did last March when I traded in my 2015 Toyota Prius with 198k miles for my 23 MYLR for the wife.

Funny my other trade in is 2016 Toyota Prius but only 80K miles so I'll go with CarMax etc. Already got a $12K offer from a local dealer. No low balls for that one ;)

Not close
dont clean it, don’t fix any fit, finish, mechanicals, as long as you can start it and drive there
dont do the brakes, don’t get new tires, don’t do any maintenance

they first inspect the Autocheck report for accidents, vin scan
youll upload one or more photos
if no accidents the offer will be fair vs how it is selling wholesale at the auctions to determine the price
if accidents or very high mileage expect a negative hit on the price
the price at auctions is dynamic and seasonal
they will offer you what they expect at the auction
suvs max offer October to February
sports and convertibles max April to august
Don’t expect the specific vehicle type to be max offer outside these month ranges

i did 2x trade ins amd was very happy
good luck

• Informative
Not close
dont clean it, don’t fix any fit, finish, mechanicals, as long as you can start it and drive there
dont do the brakes, don’t get new tires, don’t do any maintenance

they first inspect the Autocheck report for accidents, vin scan
youll upload one or more photos
if no accidents the offer will be fair vs how it is selling wholesale at the auctions to determine the price
if accidents or very high mileage expect a negative hit on the price
the price at auctions is dynamic and seasonal
they will offer you what they expect at the auction
suvs max offer October to February
sports and convertibles max April to august
Don’t expect the specific vehicle type to be max offer outside these month ranges

i did 2x trade ins amd was very happy
good luck

Great info. Did replace 12Vbattery since no amount of "pulse" repairs worked ;) I'll stop there and leave the window regulator broken. Interior is in great shape. Son did get in a fender bender so there's that.

For me in NY metro the additional sales tax savings and zero hassle proved for me the two trade ins with Tesla were perfect

I did not have to wait, creating a gap in time, for my used vehicle check to clear and then process with Teala

For each trade and purchase, drove in, took delivery, 60 minutes
Perfect customer experience

We've traded in a couple of vehicles at different ends of the age spectrum. They only relied on the photos submitted, which do cover all angles, but are really too far away to see much detail - at actual delivery time, they literally didn't look at either vehicle, just took the keys. Of course their valuations were undervalued by a few thousand, so that's probably what covers them.

The older one was a 17-year old Porsche, at that age they start to actually climbing back up in value slowly. Ours had no dents or scratches, but a major accident many years prior had replaced many of the body panels around the entire car. The bigger issues were it needed a new softtop (embedded plastic rear window was brittle and disintegrating), and probably a new catalytic converter (occasional engine codes related to emissions, though it would still pass actual tailpipe emissions tests) - if replaced with new parts, would have been more than the car value, though I suppose used dealers could fix it more cheaply..

Again they didn't even look at the car, and even if they did, what employee at the sales center or delivery center is qualified to assess and re-adjust the value anyways, no one...

• Informative
We've traded in a couple of vehicles at different ends of the age spectrum. They only relied on the photos submitted, which do cover all angles, but are really too far away to see much detail - at actual delivery time, they literally didn't look at either vehicle, just took the keys. Of course their valuations were undervalued by a few thousand, so that's probably what covers them.

The older one was a 17-year old Porsche, at that age they start to actually climbing back up in value slowly. Ours had no dents or scratches, but a major accident many years prior had replaced many of the body panels around the entire car. The bigger issues were it needed a new softtop (embedded plastic rear window was brittle and disintegrating), and probably a new catalytic converter (occasional engine codes related to emissions, though it would still pass actual tailpipe emissions tests) - if replaced with new parts, would have been more than the car value, though I suppose used dealers could fix it more cheaply..

Again they didn't even look at the car, and even if they did, what employee at the sales center or delivery center is qualified to assess and re-adjust the value anyways, no one...
Def don’t trade in a classic or in demand vehicle where no one but a specialized dealer will give you the max

Btw, with my 20 year old, 200K miles Toyota Landcruiser with body damage they reached over the barely hanging on bumper to remove the plates
Fun 👍

Def don’t trade in a classic or in demand vehicle where no one but a specialized dealer will give you the max

Btw, with my 20 year old, 200K miles Toyota Landcruiser with body damage they reached over the barely hanging on bumper to remove the plates
Fun 👍

Heh heh, it was just an old 1st gen Boxster, definitely not a Porsche collectible by any means to involve a dealer, but I guess enough of a fun, cheap enthusiast car that the value goes up. In fact, just checking Craigslist now, the value of it would be double what it was when traded in six years ago!

But yeah, both trade-in's, they did go out to remove the plates - but there was no vehicle inspection.

EDIT: And in any case, a real dealer would've given the Boxster a good look-over and could have easily identified the thousands in additional repairs that would've been needed to achieve it's Blue Book value....

Last edited:
  • Informative
So far I entered my VIN number and information on Tesla trade in page and it gives a estimate trade in value of my current old car that I want to trade in when buying a new Model Y. Do I bring the car on the delivery date to get the final value by a appraiser in person? Does Tesla even bother to check in the old car in depth in person when trading in you old car? How does Tesal even determin fine value of the trade in car?