Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common are 2020 Ravens? (performance or LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking at vehicles from various sources and one is Manheim auctions. I have a contact with a dealers license that will buy a car for me for a finders fee. The problem is the info is typically very limited.

Im looking for a 2020 Model X performance or a LR and want the raven powertrane. Are most 2020's Raven? Any idea what % is and is not? Most auctions are out of state so I cant inspect it prior to bidding. The photos they include of the screen are never the ones you would need to tell the difference.

I might be rolling the dice here, but typically these vehicles sell $5k-$10k below retail, but I wouldnt bid unless I know its a Raven. Just trying to get an idea of how common ravens were in 2020.

I believe all 2020 model X are Raven. early 2019 is when Tesla made the switch.
This is correct. If it's a 2020 it's 100% a Raven. If it's a 2019 it could go either way depending on if it was early year or late year.

Easiest way to tell is if it says 75D/100D/P100D on the back or display it's not a Raven. If it's a Raven it will say Standard Range, Long Range or Performance in the same places.

The only variance on a 2020 Model S/X is that it could be a Long Range or a Long Range Plus indicated in the same areas previously mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and bpobill
another way is to look/get pic of the VIN sticker, it'll say the month

does anyone know what the diff is in LR vs LR+?
About 30 miles of EPA range on a Model S, less on the Model X.

I wouldn't go by build date as being an absolute either when it comes to Tesla. There's another thread where a conversation is going on about a certain car that simply should not exist based on dates. A couple of potential examples have been provided that indicate that the car could actually exist although I haven't seen it with my own eyes to confirm.

If you look at the screen, there is no way to fudge that. The firmware will tell you whether it's a 100D or a Long Range.

With dates and Tesla... It's always a gamble.

Reactions: brainhouston
thanks but whats diff physically? or is it all software?
there's a different battery. Also there are TWO LR+ versions. one from beginning of 2020 and another from middle 2020. The latter one has a slightly bigger battery (bigger than 2021 refresh even, which is why 2021 refresh has less range) and a big thicker wires from charge port which allows it to charge faster on v3 superchargers (early 2020 LR+ tops at ~205kW or so, and I think newer goes all the way to 250kW)
Ealy 2020 LR+ was showing ~350miles of rated range and mid 2020 would have been on 370

For what it's worth, my 2021 Long Range Plus (November 2020 production) is still showing 350 miles of ideal range and just under 95kwh of usable battery after 31,000 miles.

And yes all 2020's (and all 2020-production 2021's) are Ravens. The easiest and most certain way to tell if a 2019 is a Raven is from the vehicle info page on the MCU - it will have a different front motor from the non-Ravens. Ravens have a front permanent magnet motor, non-ravens had a small induction motor - so I'd insist on that photo before bidding/going to see a car. They'll usually work with you on this stuff, even the auction houses, unless they're assholes or idiots.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my 2021 Long Range Plus (November 2020 production) is still showing 350 miles of ideal range and just under 95kwh of usable battery after 31,000 miles.

And yes all 2020's (and all 2020-production 2021's) are Ravens. The easiest and most certain way to tell if a 2019 is a Raven is from the vehicle info page on the MCU - it will have a different front motor from the non-Ravens. Ravens have a front permanent magnet motor, non-ravens had a small induction motor - so I'd insist on that photo before bidding/going to see a car. They'll usually work with you on this stuff, even the auction houses, unless they're assholes or idiots.
Cant get those photos on auction vehicles unless its local and I cant get in them anyways. My guy whos bidding is out of state. Ive bought several vehicles from Manheim and all have worked out. I just try to get as much info as I can before bidding. If all 2020s are Raven then I have no concerns.

Easiest way to tell is if it says 75D/100D/P100D on the back or display it's not a Raven. If it's a Raven it will say Standard Range, Long Range or Performance in the same places.

The only variance on a 2020 Model S/X is that it could be a Long Range or a Long Range Plus indicated in the same areas previously mentioned.

I have a Sept. 2020 Model S LR+ Raven. It just has "Dual Motors" on the back. Performance models have the same with an orange bar underneath it.