Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I find a inexpensive electrician?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in portland area.

My have a standard 2.5 car garage. electric panel is on the right side of the wall when walking to the garage, I need it to be installed on the other side of the wall for easy access to the car's charging port.

The both tesla recommonded electricians quoted me 1000+ for the job, one is $800+200 permit, another is $900-1100+$200 permit. I read the tesla forum people saying any electrician quoting over $400 is a rip off, but how to find a inexpensive electrician?

Thanks

Do not tell them the T word, say you need a dryer/rv hookup NEMA 14-50 installed. They jack up the price when they hear the brand! I am going through the same process myself and was able to find local electricians who would install the dryer/RV hookup NEMA point for $300-400

Reactions: Zroiron and David99
I am in portland area.

My have a standard 2.5 car garage. electric panel is on the right side of the wall when walking to the garage, I need it to be installed on the other side of the wall for easy access to the car's charging port.

The both tesla recommonded electricians quoted me 1000+ for the job, one is $800+200 permit, another is $900-1100+$200 permit. I read the tesla forum people saying any electrician quoting over $400 is a rip off, but how to find a inexpensive electrician?

Thanks

Each local market is different, but that seems pricey to me.

Mine was in under an hour. He told me no way it would more than 500 for half a days work. Haven't gotten the bill yet but he said probably less than 200. Ask them for their hourly and how long they expect to put in a dryer outlet. Be prepared by knowing where your panel is. The cable to extend and connect is expensive and that may be a contributing factor. I declined getting a permit.

It's really a factor of how long the run is. If it's a 2.5 car garage, I assume that's going to be ~40ft run (up the wall, through the ceiling, down the wall). If it's a finished garage, that adds to the cost.

I'm in MN, and have a detached garage. Permitting was considerably less expensive than $200, and I got 3 quotes that were around $3k. I don't think $800, sans permit, is a lot for what you seem to need done.

At our first house I payed $850 to have a simple NEMA 14-50 installed right next to my panel outside. Totally crazy. At our next house I got a quote that was even higher for a very similar amount of work. I have no problem paying someone for honest work, but both cases were rip offs. So I got the needed parts at my local hardware store and installed it myself. Works perfectly and cost me less than $80.

I priced about 4-5 electricians in the Seattle area, both the ones who Tesla recommended and a couple other names I picked up from TMC. It was overall surprisingly consistent. All prices are inclusive of permit fees.

For something within 5ft of the panel, it was going to be around 500-600 (closer to 600).

For something around 12ft from the panel, it was going to be around 800-900.

For something around 30ft from the panel (going up a ceiling and coming down to about the halfway point of the garage, it was going to be around 1100-1300.

Note that the prices I asked for were for the HPWC, not a NEMA 14-50 outlet, so it may be a little bit higher. Happy to share any details if it helps.

As far as permits, a lot of people have mentioned that if there is an electric fire in your house and you did not have a permitted, inspected and approved modification, you could be looking at loss of coverage. So, for a $200 savings you could be exposing yourself to huge losses.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssq
I may have gotten ripped off, not sure - but my Tesla wall connector install was $2,400 in Southern California from Trout Electric, including the permits. This was a Tesla recommended installer I found on the website. There was quite a lot of run - I should measure it but it went up from a first floor panel into a second floor attic, across the attic ceiling, then down the wall into the first floor garage. Installing closer to the panel would have saved me $1,000 but then the cable wouldn't be nearly as close to the car's charge port.

Can someone comment if a permit is mandatory. One famous Tesla certified electrician insisted it is, else it will void my tesla warranty. I was :eek:.. where does the warranty verbiage state that ??

Get a permit. I'm not sure if it will void your warranty, but if your house catches fire because of poor quality work on the installation you may have troubles with insurance claims. Not only that, are you willing to risk injury to you or your family?

Reactions: ssq
Ours was a simple NEMA 14-50 installation. The plug was to be installed on the wall just behind the breaker panel. Contacted the Tesla recommended electricians and got quotes ranging from $650 to $900.

Contacted a local, North County San Diego electrician who completed the job for $250, plus the City permit fee.

Please PM me if you would like a referral.

I got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for around $200, but of course without a permit. Can I get a permit now? Whom should I call to get a permit. I haven't used he outlet yet as my X will be delivered end of this month (optimistically)
It depends on your locality. Check with the city.

A NEMA 14-50 is a pretty simple plug.

Got many quotes ranging up to $5,000.

My unfortunate situation is that my panel is on the opposite side of the garage about 120 feet away, hence the high price.

However, to install a NEMA 14-50 plug next to the fuse panel about 50 ft away, makes the cost much more reasonable, ~$600.
Sure it will be a slight inconvenience that I have to charge the car in my circle driveway, but financially this makes more sense to me, as I will likely only charge the car every 3 days or so.

Don't tell the electricians what it is for, bec as soon as they hear the word Tesla, price jumps.

I am a new owner. I ordered my P90D and then they found one almost identical to what I ordered and were able to have it sent from NY which allowed me to get if faster and to save some $$ due to a better residual value. As a result, I had less time to get an electrician in and have my wall connector installed.

My electrical box is in our basement, but both panels were full. The electrician had to install an additional panel, then run a 100 amp line across the basement utility room ceiling (about 30 feet), then up through the ceiling to the garage. They then installed a circuit breaker in the garage, and completed a conduit run up the wall and across the ceiling (24 feet), then down the wall between two garage doors and connected the wall connector. Total cost was $2400. Seemed expensive for our area (Indianapolis, IN) as some others I have spoken to report paying about half this, but not sure if their installation was as complex as mine. Very happy with the work, looks great, and they did it within a week of my initial call.