Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I find a inexpensive electrician?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I learned that there are people who spend 100k+ on a really safe car but don't spend 200 on a required permit (and safety inspection)

Wow
You just can't make this stuff up.

Assuming you have the load capacity on the panel existing in your home, to install the 14-50 is a couple hours of labor plus parts. I used a non-Tesla electrician at prior house to do it and it was about $350 but it was at the panel.

When building our new home, I asked to have 14-50 installed in the wall as part of the base electrical system. 40-ish foot cable run from panel in garage, they got me for $600 which might have been a touch high for just being able to rough it in when there are no walls etc (no conduit, already have crew on site and such), but I couldn't have done it cheaper after the fact and it was just included in price of house. Same builder wanted over $2k just to run the cabling for HPWC to a blank box. Said no thanks.

Most electricians are charging by the hour and for parts. I'd say $500 or less for an install right at the panel, but long runs will get you since the wire costs a few $ per foot. Don't get taken for a ride, know how much the copper costs, but if you have to stretch 100ft expect to pay hundreds more. Same with new subpanels etc.

The poster above who had new subpanel, run through attic etc for $2400 probably did ok. The other poster who paid $2400 just for the cable run to HPWC? Hard to say but that seems high to me would have to know how long the run was but even at 50-100 feet seems high.

To the OP - taking the $200 permit fee out of the equation, $800 for what is probably 40-50 foot run of cable (maybe 200-300 cost) and a few hours of labor? Maybe not dirt cheap but not a "ripoff" in my estimation. You're basically paying for really thick copper wire.

YELP. Found a list of highly rated electricians and called for quotes. I picked the one that was most reasonable and that I liked (I have to remember to give him a positive review...). If I had a subscription to Angie's List, I might check there too.

What I've learned:
*Do not mention Tesla, or at least wait until after you get a quote. Just state 14-50 NEMA. Can be for dryer, RV, or other EV (Leaf for example).
*Cost will depend significantly on distance from the main panel. If it's on the other side of the wall, and you don't mind going through it, $350 was the avg price for me (not incl inspection). My cost was significantly higher cuz the electrician needed to run a long conduit.
*Consider adding two outlets, or at least going larger on a conduit if necessary, if you're thinking about adding an additional EV to the stable down the line (Model 3 anyone?). I will probable need to upgrade my panel if I want to add another 40A outlet to my garage, but at least the electrician will have the right size conduit to run additional wire there.

And I totally agree on getting the inspection. Last line of defense against shoddy electrical work, which worst case scenario could burn your house down, with you in it if you're charging overnight.

Today I learned that there are people who spend 100k+ on a really safe car but don't spend 200 on a required permit (and safety inspection)

Wow
haha, but usually wealthy people also tend to justify spending and argue and debate to get the best value for money. But yeah, you have a valid point, the liability and risk without a permit could be nasty!
Btw if anyone needs an electrician in San Diego, let me know. $350 for a NEMA14-50, and he could figure out I'm getting a Tesla.

Unless someone is familiar with electrical work, I would definitely recommend an electrician. Electrical problem don't show up easily like water leaks. Bad connections or wiring can cause problem later that aren't visible at first.
As for permits to install a NEMA 14-50 in your own house, I think that's just BS for the city to make money.

Wow

I really dislike this way of thinking. Because someone payed a lot for one thing, he/she should also pay another thing that has nothing to do with it and has no value. There is no reason whatsoever that a permit for a very basic outlet in your own home would have to cost $200. It's just a BS way for cities to make money.
The safe part is having a licensed electrician do the work. He knows how to install it safe. The permit doesn't make anything save. The city gives you a permit without looking at your house or panel or talking to the utility company. All they do is charging you money. I had mine permitted and the city never bothered to come and do a safety check.

Unless someone is familiar with electrical work, I would definitely recommend an electrician. Electrical problem don't show up easily like water leaks. Bad connections or wiring can cause problem later that aren't visible at first.
As for permits to install a NEMA 14-50 in your own house, I think that's just BS for the city to make money.

I really dislike this way of thinking. Because someone payed a lot for one thing, he/she should also pay another thing that has nothing to do with it and has no value. There is no reason whatsoever that a permit for a very basic outlet in your own home would have to cost $200. It's just a BS way for cities to make money.
The safe part is having a licensed electrician do the work. He knows how to install it safe. The permit doesn't make anything save. The city gives you a permit without looking at your house or panel or talking to the utility company. All they do is charging you money. I had mine permitted and the city never bothered to come and do a safety check.
The electrician I am hiring is very confident, licensed and prolifically experienced. When I told him I want to be on the safe side by getting a permit and mitigate any potential insurance liability (if any unfortunate incident was to happen) - he said "sure! I understand. But for something so trivial as a NEMA install it's meaningless to waste the money. The inspector will come for 2 minutes and sign off. You may as well donate that money to charity". So.. I am having second thoughts about the permit. Now to revisit the comment I agree with your thought process. Like I was saying in my previous response, being well-off doesn't essentially imply throwing money without second thoughts..but rather you kind of have better judgement of what value for money is.. that's what got you there in the first place :)

The electrician I am hiring is very confident, licensed and prolifically experienced. When I told him I want to be on the safe side by getting a permit and mitigate any potential insurance liability (if any unfortunate incident was to happen) - he said "sure! I understand. But for something so trivial as a NEMA install it's meaningless to waste the money. The inspector will come for 2 minutes and sign off. You may as well donate that money to charity". So.. I am having second thoughts about the permit. Now to revisit the comment I agree with your thought process. Like I was saying in my previous response, being well-off doesn't essentially imply throwing money without second thoughts..but rather you kind of have better judgement of what value for money is.. that's what got you there in the first place :)

My Opinion: Well said and agree with your assessments.

While waiting for the city inspector (solar install) I was chatting with the solar company employee that will walk the inspector around. He basically said can can take $700-$900 any day to install a Tesla charger, he said that's cheap compared to what others are charging which is over $1k. He said the job takes about 1 hour or more depending on the location. I asked him why so expensive, he said because people will pay it... I asked him how much my install would cost, he said $700 plus parts (I don't even have a Tesla yet). My breaker is in the garage next to the cars (sigh...), I won't be calling him anytime soon.

BTW, the inspection of my solar install happend so fast, I don't see why adding Nema or HPWC will require special permits, just make sure you do your homework on proper materials, install, so if you find a reputable installer you can double check everything.

I called one of the Tesla recommended electricians in the Portland area and he quoted me $1300-$1600 for the 80a HPWC right next to the panel in my garage... I should mention, when I was asking him about getting an EVSE installed, he immediately asked "Is it for a Tesla?"

Asking friends or relatives for electrician recommendations can help. That's how my install was accomplished at a second home.

I pre-purchased a 50 AMP RV connector box (with included NEMA 14-50) and the circuit breaker. The installation was inside the garage behind the outside accessible in-wall mounted circuit breaker panel. $180 total cost.

Shop Eaton 50-Amp Overhead Temporary Power Panel at Lowes.com

Last edited:
I called one of the Tesla recommended electricians in the Portland area and he quoted me $1300-$1600 for the 80a HPWC right next to the panel in my garage... I should mention, when I was asking him about getting an EVSE installed, he immediately asked "Is it for a Tesla?"
If I may dare say from my experience and from reading forums about quotes. Its in our best interest to mark Tesla-recommended-electricians as Avoid-these-Tesla-recommended-electricians. They are a bunch of thugs and are looting uninformed/party-informed customers just because they (or most of them) don't question the insanely high pricing. My Tesla-recommended-electrician was 5X more costly than the most reputed electrician in my locale.

When I had my garage/barn wired for the HPWC and a 14-50 here were the cost estimates by component...

$2 per foot of wire Copper
$1 per foot of conduit metal 1" with hangers and fittings, surface mounted
$40 for 50A breaker
$75 for 100A breaker
$30 for outlet box, 14-50 outlet and cover
$40 incidentals
$100 per hour of labor minimum of 4 hours. Inspection cost for electrician not included. Figure 2 hours, one at town hall and one to be present for inspector, all said figure 8 hours of work, may come out less.
$25 town electrical permit and inspection.

the prices above are Connecticut prices. My job came out to be about $300 in hardware and $700 in labor.
The price of the Tesla HPWC was as stated in Tesla Gear, thus in addition to the above.

If you go visit the town/city electrical engineer he may be able to give you the names of some good electricians or visit an electrical supply house in your area for leads on the good guys.

BTW, you are WAY ahead of the game here.... when is the X expected to being shipping in serious numbers?? Perhaps two years away???

Last edited:
When I had my garage/barn wired for the HPWC and a 14-50 here were the cost estimates by component...

$2 per foot of wire Copper
$1 per foot of conduit metal 1" with hangers and fittings, surface mounted
$40 for 50A breaker
$75 for 100A breaker
$30 for outlet box, 14-50 outlet and cover
$40 incidentals
$100 per hour of labor minimum of 4 hours. Inspection cost for electrician not included. Figure 2 hours, one at town hall and one to be present for inspector, all said figure 8 hours of work, may come out less.
$25 town electrical permit and inspection.

the prices above are Connecticut prices. My job came out to be about $300 in hardware and $700 in labor.
thanks for the details, your project must have been a bit labor intensive. For further reference of folks here for whom the NEMA socket would be on the opposite side of the wall behind the Service panel - expect ~ 1 hour of work and $350 total cost with material and labor in the San Diego area. The price is without a permit which costs $295. My electrician said I could pull one if I want, they charge an additional $100 on top of the permit cost.

I am in Orang County, California. I had my done for $130.00, certified electrician; he had done so many Tesla, he even had some cool Tesla stickers made. With all the electricians that Tesla suggested in the area charges around $300.
How I did it? www.Google.com reach for electrician near me. Then, get a phone and start calling...